Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Turbo question/need answers

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 12:29 PM
Do we even know if he is running "Lean"....with that turbo it might be wise to invest in a EGT gauge or hook up a digital multimeter to your 1V (switching) 02 sensor. If your car is running lean, you should see less than 450mV. If it's running rich, you'll see greater than 450mV.

Simple Test to see if you are running rich or lean would be too....
Stick your hand in front of the exhaust pipe. Then smell your hand. If it smells like fumes and unburnt fuel it's rich. If it smells foul and stings your eyes a bit it's lean.

Adding bigger injectors as stated above is NOT going to solve your problem.....still need to get your ECU tuned.

tonyd

Old 04-05-2008, 03:22 PM
Rich or lean doesn't matter... he needs to know where the knock is happening and adjust fueling and spark accordingly... oh wait... he doesn't have the capability of adjusting fuel or spark... nevermind

don't drive the car until you have time to check this out... really... I'm sure the L15A VTEC is an expensive engine... might want to check Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

Probably not as expensive as a TDI engine, but hey... $2,000 is $2,000

Last edited by alphaseinor; 04-05-2008 at 03:24 PM.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:03 AM
Originally Posted by Puertorican Jazz
Hi, I made my fit turbo about 3 weeks ago. yesterday while on first gear, as i started to drive, there was a cloud of smoke coming from the exhaust. Then, once I parked the car I left it on Neutral and I revved the engine a little bit to about 3000rpm and it smoke once again. Then today I found a straight away and decided to floor it a little, I boosted it to 5psi, starting from 2500rpm to 4500rpm and two huge clouds of smoke appeared. 1 when I floored and the second when I shifted to third. I'm not sure if the smoke is white or blue since I have my windows tinted and I only had a quick glance. What should I do? What could happen? Which smoke is which? And any other question any of you might think usefull for me to know would be greatly appreciated. By the way, my car has factory setup, same injectors, fuel regulator and pump, and stock ecu, but it's temporary untill I install them and finish looking for the parts.
You might want to get a Fuel Management Unit along with a fuel pump booster.Engine | JDM Honda Parts, JDM Honda Engines / JDM Nissan Motor Swaps, Used JDM Parts - Password JDM The FMU will boost the fuel pressure at boost. Another thing that might help is a ignition retard unit to start retarding the timing at boost levels to prevent detonation. K&N Air/Fuel Ratio Monitors this is a must have it's to test fuel mixture. Too lean makes white smoke (very dangerous), too rich and you get blacker smoke.

Last edited by 08FitSport; 04-07-2008 at 02:12 AM.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:33 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by 08FitSport
You might want to get a Fuel Management Unit along with a fuel pump booster.Engine | JDM Honda Parts, JDM Honda Engines / JDM Nissan Motor Swaps, Used JDM Parts - Password JDM The FMU will boost the fuel pressure at boost. Another thing that might help is a ignition retard unit to start retarding the timing at boost levels to prevent detonation. K&N Air/Fuel Ratio Monitors this is a must have it's to test fuel mixture. Too lean makes white smoke (very dangerous), too rich and you get blacker smoke.
good tip but wrong recommendations.

for engine management, just stick with Emanage Ultimate, NOT the blue. AJ-Racing has already tested and tried it and holds true with the L15. controls both fuel and ignition.

no fuel pump booster needed.

a/f gauges, be sure its a wideband gauge with its own wideband o2 sensor. do not get one that taps off ecu wires or any wires. EGT gauges are harder to read, and widebands make it much easier to street and dyno tune.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by 08FitSport
With larger injectors, and a eManage Ultimate, you will not need a FMU.
Make sure you get a good wideband setup that's compatible with the eManage so you can log it (and... I think the eManage Ultimate will allow a "self tune" to get at least a base tune going).

Too lean, and you shouldn't have any smoke. you will however be able to see it on the wideband. You are going to be concerned with the Knock sensor and how much KR (knock retard) the ECU is doing.

First thing you will need to do is make sure you don't have any knock (less than 1*) by bumping up fueling. if fueling starts increasing knock, then you will need to knock down some timing.

Don't accept advice stating that lean is fast, rich is safe... the fastest you will ever go is stoic... 14.7:1 - 16:1

Old 04-10-2008, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by 03DSM-RSX
good tip but wrong recommendations.

for engine management, just stick with Emanage Ultimate, NOT the blue. AJ-Racing has already tested and tried it and holds true with the L15. controls both fuel and ignition.

no fuel pump booster needed.

a/f gauges, be sure its a wideband gauge with its own wideband o2 sensor. do not get one that taps off ecu wires or any wires. EGT gauges are harder to read, and widebands make it much easier to street and dyno tune.
Sorry, my bad, I'm old school. I'd like to find out more about the Emanage Ultimate. Is there somewhere I can get info?

Old 04-10-2008, 04:07 PM
check greddy's website