Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

High Flow Cat or Test Pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 12:52 PM
SBT
High Flow Cat or Test Pipe?

Has anyone installed a high-flow cat on their Fit? I have a really high quality one on my S2000, and it seemed to open things up even more than the catback (and the S2000's cat was supposed to be high-flow already)...

I imagine the Fit's cat is not a high-flow cat, and that a relatively good amount of gains could be had by replacing it.

I may even go a test pipe route, but don't want to deal with the smell. But for those of you with a test pipe, did you notice good gains?

Old 03-27-2008, 01:18 PM
5 Year Member
you know a buddy of mine (engineer, gear-head, car industry) says that those high-flow cats don't work. Most high flow cats won't pass emissions testing... so he tells me to save my money and go with cat delete, cause that way i'll get the performance jump i want and not fool myself into thinking its street legal.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:49 PM
SBT
I agree that most probably don't work. The one I got for my other car was the product of lots of r&d, and actually flows 85% as well as a test pipe, but with no smell and no check engine lights. I've contacted that manufacturer to see if they could do a one-off for the Fit, but I doubt they'll be able to at anywhere near an affordable price...

Just hoping that there's something out there that I've overlooked?

Old 03-27-2008, 02:54 PM
5 Year Member
i wouldnt mind having one when i go boost. but then again if im almost there i might as well just make a test pipe heh

Old 03-27-2008, 05:12 PM
5 Year Member
Go with a high flow cat, the smell is aweful in the fit.
I had the t1r test pipe, good for performance, bad on the
nose. I have a cheap $50 ebay racing cat, with built in
02 bung, and no CEL's! And best of all, since its so cheap,
it doesn't produce any water/steam when its cold, so less rusting in
the exhaust.
Oh, I didn't really notice any decrease in performance, only
noise going from a test pipe to testpipe with cat welded on.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:31 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
I have a T1R test pipe. Love it. Yes the smell is stronger but I dont mind.
It does have extra sound. My car has a tad bit of buzz at 3000-4500rpms if Im in or past 1/2 throttle. My muffler helps a lot.

I dont think Id even go back to a cat or highflow. I love the performance it gained with it. Even with the OEM B-pipe. Night and day performance.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jimmy101
Go with a high flow cat, the smell is aweful in the fit.
I had the t1r test pipe, good for performance, bad on the
nose. I have a cheap $50 ebay racing cat, with built in
02 bung, and no CEL's! And best of all, since its so cheap,
it doesn't produce any water/steam when its cold, so less rusting in
the exhaust.
Oh, I didn't really notice any decrease in performance, only
noise going from a test pipe to testpipe with cat welded on.
Could you post the link to the hi-flo e-bay cat? or PM me!

I just got (but have not installed yet) the Megan cat delete with built-in resonator and am afraid of the smell or the added noise... any comments from fellows users?

Old 03-29-2008, 03:04 PM
i have been considering a high flow cat or a test pipe. but am still very skeptical about passing inspection. i dont know if any one else has heard of them, you probably have if you tune hondas. but i spoke with a fellow from random technolgies last week and was told that they could do a custom hi-flow for the fit if i sent him the specs of the stock catalyst. he told me that it could range any where from 200-400 dollars but looking at all of their cats for other hondas they range between 200-300. i just dont know if i want to spend 200 or more on something that im still not going to pass inspection with.

Old 03-29-2008, 03:17 PM
5 Year Member
A good quality one like this...Universal MagnaFlow Catalytic Converters by Car Sound can be welded on by any muffler shop.

I'd just give them a call to find out which one is right for the Fit.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:27 PM
5 Year Member
I have the Megan Test Pipe, the rest of the exhaust is stock and I can still hear my intake more than anything. It seems to pull a little better but nothing major. I don't have a CEL because I spaced the O2 sensor out from the bung about an inch. The only time you can smell it is when you are in a small enclosed garage for an extended period of time. Otherwise it just blows away. The Megan is not SS like they claim though, the inside is mild steel. It came with extra bolts too, not sure why.

Old 03-30-2008, 05:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Polish
I have the Megan Test Pipe, the rest of the exhaust is stock and I can still hear my intake more than anything. It seems to pull a little better but nothing major. I don't have a CEL because I spaced the O2 sensor out from the bung about an inch. The only time you can smell it is when you are in a small enclosed garage for an extended period of time. Otherwise it just blows away. The Megan is not SS like they claim though, the inside is mild steel. It came with extra bolts too, not sure why.
Thanks for sharing info / impressions on the Megan cat delete. I was debating about its utility over its nuisance... Now I am being re-assured and will install it when I have a chance.

Question... Why did you choose that particular part over the header, the B-pipe or the axel-back?

Old 03-31-2008, 01:13 AM
5 Year Member
No cel with this cheapo cat, and it has a 02 bung.
EPA approved, but not ok for those who don't live in Cali.

eBay Motors: 2" Catalytic Converter High Flow T409 SS - O2 Nut (item 380010328919 end time Apr-03-08 15:09:02 PDT)

Old 03-31-2008, 08:39 AM
5 Year Member
I may eventually do the entire exhaust but I feel the cat is the most restrictive so I did it first. Plus it was fairly cheap and easy to swap on.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:51 PM
Did your MPG drop by any chance?