Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Hps Intake!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 03:46 PM
5 Year Member
Wow that intake is cheap! Looks pretty good. How was the quality up close?

Old 04-02-2008, 05:37 PM
5 Year Member
truthfully, i think it could be better. But it's the design of the intake that counts. Plus right now it's on sale for 100 bucks so not too bad

Old 04-02-2008, 05:50 PM
5 Year Member
I got mine for $100 shipped on ebay about a month and a half ago and I can't complain about anything. The noise is all above 3000 RPMS unless your flooring it then a little in the 2000's. The sound is somewhat of a raspy sound but thats just how I describe it. I hate the sound of a ricer and I have to say with my Apexi WSII axleback, it does not sound ricy at all. It sounds more like a meaner 1.5L. The install for the SRI version took me approx. 15-20min with a extended 10mm socket wrench and a Phillips screwdriver. The gains are only noticeable at the 3500 and on range IMO. Also, sounds great at 4500 under a bridge full throttle hehe!!

Old 04-02-2008, 08:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Kuturagi
I got mine for $100 shipped on ebay about a month and a half ago and I can't complain about anything. The noise is all above 3000 RPMS unless your flooring it then a little in the 2000's. The sound is somewhat of a raspy sound but thats just how I describe it. I hate the sound of a ricer and I have to say with my Apexi WSII axleback, it does not sound ricy at all. It sounds more like a meaner 1.5L. The install for the SRI version took me approx. 15-20min with a extended 10mm socket wrench and a Phillips screwdriver. The gains are only noticeable at the 3500 and on range IMO. Also, sounds great at 4500 under a bridge full throttle hehe!!
i might put on the SRI for now until the weekend and see how i like it and put on the CAI on the weekend when i got more time. i hope mine comes with instructions!

Old 04-04-2008, 12:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by accordguyintake
truthfully, i think it could be better. But it's the design of the intake that counts. Plus right now it's on sale for 100 bucks so not too bad
where the heck did you bolt on the intake system to? that little bracket on the intake, where did you bolt it to? can you take any pics of the set up and show me how everythings set up? and why is the tube they gave me too long? did you get a long red hose or a short black one to connect to the intake and the engine?

Old 04-04-2008, 12:18 AM
5 Year Member
where did you bolt the freakin intake to? the tranny or what?

Old 04-05-2008, 04:43 AM
5 Year Member
yeah i think so, there is nothing else there! it's fine there for a few days already and i shook it to see if it's still mounted on and yes it is. good luck

Old 04-08-2008, 11:31 PM
5 Year Member
all i have to say is amazing. i love my new intake, it sounds amazing and revs up real nice. it sounds real good when the vtec kicks in. right around 35 grand. im very very happy with it. the quality it nice and the filter is real nice. you cant go wronge with this intake. plus you can change it to a SRI in a quick few mins. the power is real strong and very noticable. i hope that more people buy this intake now knowing that its not a piece of crap

Old 04-13-2008, 09:24 PM
Boz
Help a Car noob....

Whats the differance between a CAI and SRI... Pros and Cons of Both... I drive a AT so keep that in Mind. I am a noob but Im learning reading alot from these forums..

Old 04-13-2008, 11:25 PM
5 Year Member
cold air intake runs the air filter down by the fender and sucks up cold air instead of a Short ram intake that sucks the hot air from the engine department. the short ram runs the air filter on the top where the hood is and has less pipe. CAI usually wont work on automatics because the different tranny. but some say that there is CAI intakes out there that fit automatics but you just gotta look, the CAI and the SRI do about the same in performance but the CAI sucks cold air intsead of hot air from the engine. the SRI is usually alittle louder bec its right under the hood rather than by the fender and the wheel well like the CAI's do. if you can find a CAI that will work on an auto than id get that over a SRI, but if all else fails the SRI is just as good. i hope this helped u out

Originally Posted by Boz
Whats the differance between a CAI and SRI... Pros and Cons of Both... I drive a AT so keep that in Mind. I am a noob but Im learning reading alot from these forums..

Old 04-13-2008, 11:50 PM
Avid FitFreak Poster
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by xonexlifex
where did you bolt the freakin intake to? the tranny or what?

Is this a serious question? I'm sorry, I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not

It bolts directly to the engine. If you look at the engine, its the big black box next to it... below the battery... like as in... in front of the battery. pull that off, attach the intake, and you're good to go. Don't forget to transfer the sensor as well. Hope this helps!

Old 04-13-2008, 11:54 PM
Boz
thanks... Ive got a better understanding now

Old 04-14-2008, 01:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by saiko
Is this a serious question? I'm sorry, I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not

It bolts directly to the engine. If you look at the engine, its the big black box next to it... below the battery... like as in... in front of the battery. pull that off, attach the intake, and you're good to go. Don't forget to transfer the sensor as well. Hope this helps!

naw dawg i know that it bolts on to the engine, im not that stupid, i was just asking where the bracket thats down by the air filter bolts on to support the whole intake so it doesnt move when your driving, it bolts to one of the bolts on the tranny so i figured that one out, but ya that would be a pretty stupid question to ask if i didnt know where to actually bolt it on so i know where you were coming from.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Boz
thanks... Ive got a better understanding now
no problemo, let me know if you have any luck!

Old 04-15-2008, 10:03 PM
5 Year Member
i'd honestly spend a few more $$$ to get the A-Spec kit. It was the kit i was initially thinking of. I just got the HPS since it was on sale. The reason why i like the A-spec is that installing it is a breeze compared to HPS. no removal of bumper. Just take out old box, stick in new intake, and secure the bolts and filter etc. This way when i rains i can quickly put back the old system

Old 04-16-2008, 12:26 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by accordguyintake
i'd honestly spend a few more $$$ to get the A-Spec kit. It was the kit i was initially thinking of. I just got the HPS since it was on sale. The reason why i like the A-spec is that installing it is a breeze compared to HPS. no removal of bumper. Just take out old box, stick in new intake, and secure the bolts and filter etc. This way when i rains i can quickly put back the old system

mine wasnt hard at all to put on, i didnt have to take off the bumper. it took me like 30 mins at the most to put the intake after i got the stock one off, not including resetting the ecu. i just put the piping through the bottom of the car instead of from the top because it seemed way easier, and we had it on a lift at acura. so when i take it off it will be a breeze because all i have to do is take off the bottom pipping. the other thing is i think the a spec one doesnt go down that far so its kinda like a short ram because it just goes down half way instead of all the way down in the fender. i just think that the hps one would be better because ud prolly get more cold air than the a spec, but hey as long as im happy than it doesnt matter. for the price and the set up and the performance id say its pretty much worth it

Old 04-16-2008, 12:13 PM
5 Year Member
This intake works fine guys in rain or shine. It's the puddles you need to be worried about, it's not as if it's going to rain in your engine bay. But anyways, i installed my CAI part last night and I agree with accordguyintake, it would have been nice to have the a-spec because the cold air was a pain in the ass. You have to take off the bumper, stick it in from the bottom front and release the whole scrape and weather guards to let the intake bend into place. I was not expecting that from the description, but o well. The honest opinion, its a bit more quiet but really the gain(s) if any are not noticeable. I got a better gain by lowering it and switching from my 15s with blzzaks to 16s with neogens (obviously) so maybe their is a slight gain but I installed the springs and wheels and CAI tube last night so who knows... I may look at the aem bypass valve just because I don't like messing with my engine all the time, but then again I also might just take the HPS off and buy a mishimoto carbon box or a different SRI. I mean hey, I'm in Iowa and if you guys in cali and FL are runnin SRI's in your heat then hell, I should be fine! Overall rating on this intake? I give it a 7/10 for basic looks and slightly lacking fitment IMO. But to those looking for a $99 peice of 7HP gain then here you are. I'm getting more and more concerned with the quality then cost of my ride.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:30 PM
5 Year Member
This intake works fine guys in rain or shine. It's the puddles you need to be worried about, it's not as if it's going to rain in your engine bay. But anyways, i installed my CAI part last night and I agree with accordguyintake, it would have been nice to have the a-spec because the cold air was a pain in the ass. You have to take off the bumper, stick it in from the bottom front and release the whole scrape and weather guards to let the intake bend into place. I was not expecting that from the description, but o well. The honest opinion, its a bit more quiet but really the gain(s) if any are not noticeable. I got a better gain by lowering it and switching from my 15s with blzzaks to 16s with neogens (obviously) so maybe their is a slight gain but I installed the springs and wheels and CAI tube last night so who knows... I may look at the aem bypass valve just because I don't like messing with my engine all the time, but then again I also might just take the HPS off and buy a mishimoto carbon box or a different SRI. I mean hey, I'm in Iowa and if you guys in cali and FL are runnin SRI's in your heat then hell, I should be fine! Overall rating on this intake? I give it a 7/10 for basic looks and slightly lacking fitment IMO. But to those looking for a $99 peice of 7HP gain then here you are. I'm getting more and more concerned with the quality then cost of my ride.
i think its a real nice intake from my opinion. i like the way it looks and the way it sounds. like i said b4 its just a copy of the aem CAI, the only difference is the brand. but hey people have different opinions, as far as the rain, i wouldnt worry about it too much, its pretty well tucked under the bumper and like you said its not the rain you need to worry about its the big ass puddles.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:15 AM
Hello sorry to bud in on your thread but I had a Question, I just ordered my HPS shortram intake (Live in Canada) is there anywhere to put your intake air temp sensor on to teh intake. IF not what did you guys end up doing with it. Thanks for the help.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:54 PM
5 Year Member
yes it has a slot, kinda hard to reach though, i had to cut off a zip tie holding the wire down, you'll see what i mean

Quick Reply: Hps Intake!