Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Top Mount Intercooler....

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 08:09 PM
5 Year Member
Top Mount Intercooler....

i was wondering since some that are going Turbo route, i know you may loose the fog light ( some of you guys may not care) but i was wondering if the Fit can have a custom Top Mount intercooler instead of the front... i know the top mount inter cooler may have pros and cons but it would look clean IMO under the hood... any opinion on this idea for the one who are either going T/C or S/C ( 10lbs kit)

Old 03-13-2008, 08:14 PM
Originally Posted by Zangoose GD3 Blue
i was wondering since some that are going Turbo route, i know you may loose the fog light ( some of you guys may not care) but i was wondering if the Fit can have a custom Top Mount intercooler instead of the front... i know the top mount inter cooler may have pros and cons but it would look clean IMO under the hood... any opinion on this idea for the one who are either going T/C or S/C ( 10lbs kit)

i would love a top mount intercooler..i want to go turbo...and well i just baught my HID's for the Fog's and headlamps so i def want to keep those working..but yeah i think they could fit the top mount intercooler right behind the engine...well if its possible ..please someone make it...by da way what are the pros and cons of having a top mount intercooler??

Old 03-13-2008, 08:20 PM
EVO style hood vent for the intercooler would look hot!!

Old 03-13-2008, 09:28 PM
5 Year Member
yeah i was looking at my hood and i was like..hmm that would complete the hood i just put a top mount. but i think the front mount is sooo sexy though.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:13 PM
5 Year Member
a top mount intercooler setup could work if the hood was vented correctly as well as building some sort of underside ducting to help direct heat towards the low pressure area under the vehicle. bad effects of tmic's are basically heat soak in stop and go driving. under hood temps can get pretty out of hand. another possible solution would be a air to water intercooler then mounting the heat exchanger in front of the radiator. but you also have to think from a manufacture's point of view. obviously the more you can make of something the cheaper it is. well unfortuantly the only market would be people who 1. vent there hood correctly(mass production hood that would work??) 2. have a turbo or superchager 3. people with deep pockets for 1 off custom setups. in all reality it isn't pratical.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by underdog
a top mount intercooler setup could work if the hood was vented correctly as well as building some sort of underside ducting to help direct heat towards the low pressure area under the vehicle. bad effects of tmic's are basically heat soak in stop and go driving. under hood temps can get pretty out of hand. another possible solution would be a air to water intercooler then mounting the heat exchanger in front of the radiator. but you also have to think from a manufacture's point of view. obviously the more you can make of something the cheaper it is. well unfortuantly the only market would be people who 1. vent there hood correctly(mass production hood that would work??) 2. have a turbo or superchager 3. people with deep pockets for 1 off custom setups. in all reality it isn't pratical.
yeah i hear you man but i had thing in the back of my head and wanted to see if any1 was thinking of the same thing... but then again having a top mount intercooler fit turbo charged would be s!ck...

Old 03-13-2008, 10:48 PM
5 Year Member
anything can happen with deep pockets. lol

Old 03-13-2008, 10:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by underdog
anything can happen with deep pockets. lol
true hopefully i win some lotto money...

Old 03-13-2008, 10:52 PM
5 Year Member
If the top mount intercooler is going to happen, please make an Evo-style hood and not an STi-style hood. :]

Old 03-13-2008, 11:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by goodyonsen
If the top mount intercooler is going to happen, please make an Evo-style hood and not an STi-style hood. :]
or the neon srt-4 hood style... that would be nice

Old 03-14-2008, 12:14 AM
Also clearance issue's would arise.

Old 03-14-2008, 04:07 AM
what the hee haww, HKS makes a top mount for the Fit... search it

Old 03-14-2008, 08:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by quangalang
what the hee haww, HKS makes a top mount for the Fit... search it
i did some search and couldnt find it can u post the link..

Last edited by Zangoose GD3 Blue; 03-14-2008 at 08:52 AM.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:58 AM
5 Year Member
go with a front mount. it will be able to acheive more HP and it has the bling factor....unless your trying to go sleeper status.

Last edited by NIGHTHAWKSI; 03-14-2008 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:42 AM
I'd go for a front mount for sure. But then again, I'm bias

Old 03-14-2008, 11:39 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by NIGHTHAWKSI
go with a front mount. it will be able to acheive more HP and it has the bling factor....unless your trying to go sleeper status.
whats up IAN, i know the front mount is sweet but couple of ppl love there fog light lol... so i came with the idea to see any1 would love the see a top mount intercooler

Old 03-14-2008, 11:48 AM
5 Year Member
^Hey!!

the fog lights are nice, but if i had a choice of an intercooler filling the middle of the grille or foglights, i would definatly choose the intercooler.

Old 03-14-2008, 01:12 PM
HEE HAWW WHAT?Quangalang what are you talking about?Hks top mount intercooler?Please show me the picture(I might be wrong).If you go to UrbanRacer.Com tm - Import Tuning Cyberzine they clearly say,"even HKS has a front-mount intercooler in the mix".The only other turbo kit's that may have a TMIC are K20A swap's or gutted engine bay's(maybe,I couldn't find any)....Search it.

Old 03-14-2008, 04:05 PM
Originally Posted by Zangoose GD3 Blue
i did some search and couldnt find it can u post the link..
I take it back idk if HKS made it or it was a custom set up but here are pics:

Old 03-14-2008, 04:44 PM
Of course most people can custom a top mount-intercooler(nobody disagree's).But the heat soak would destroy the performance on the road or track.No good aftermarket company would place a intercooler there without some kind of vented/scooped hood.Plus it's slightly tilted in the first picture,so the person at least tried to make it somewhat efficent.The point is, it's possible, but not a good idea if you want the best performance out of your car.

Quick Reply: Top Mount Intercooler....