Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Leaning out? How about fuel return line and fuel pressure regulator for Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 05:53 AM
Leaning out? How about fuel return line and fuel pressure regulator for Fit?

THESE ARE MY OPINIONS

I have heard people stating that once they have done all the simple bolt-ons that they have been leaning out. I have understood that our cars run a returnless fuel system but does put out about 51psi of pressure (which is not that bad). If people are leaning out with all the simple bolt-ons and try to run the bottle....kaboom and if you run to rich you run the risk of detonation! I have also read people saying that so-n-so will blow his engine if he sprays it (in my opinion, not the case). As with forced induction; nitrous can be used safely if setup properly. Which brings me to what I was mentioning earlier, if we somehow get our hands on a fuel return line kit for our cars, fuel pressure regulator, bigger fuel pump, bigger injectors, piggyback, and a nitrous kit; we may have a good reliable way to run nitrous (besides i believe that our car compression ration is 10:4:1).

The was I see it; the return line adds the ability to tune. The return line could be used to rough tune your bigger injectors and then fine tuned with a piggy back like a SAFC or E-manage. With this said and done it would not hurt to check where the timing is at as well. In other words by having the return line system and supporting components you would be able to better tune the car for driveability as well as WOT without worrying about pulling so much fuel since it will be there only when you need it ......WOT while on spray.

Remember, by just running nitrous, bigger injectors, and a fuel pump and not having a piggy back you would just be adding a huge amount of fuel since the injectors are rated higher than the stockers. Again, this would lead to detonation.

So, by setting it up right from the getgo I think the Fit could run safely on nitrous and possibly hold a 70-75 shot with no problem in my opinion. If you change the out stock pistons and rods....even better. One more thing....the obvious: run minimum 93 octane. I might have left out a couple of things but is something to make us think about. Feedback???

THIS COULD GO FOR FORCED INDUCTION AS WELL.

Last edited by freakyfit; 02-27-2008 at 08:00 AM.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:34 AM
5 Year Member
You understand the difference between a "wet" shot and a "dry" shot?

And you really think a stock motor will hold up to a near-100% power boost? I'll buy you a kit and jet it for a 75shot and if your motor lasts more than 30 seconds you can keep it.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by fshwcrs
You understand the difference between a "wet" shot and a "dry" shot?

And you really think a stock motor will hold up to a near-100% power boost? I'll buy you a kit and jet it for a 75shot and if your motor lasts more than 30 seconds you can keep it.

Obviously use a wet shot along wit everyhing eslde i have mentioned.
I have been in the scene for a while. Also, I know someone with fit that is putting down 210 @ the wheels with a turbo set up and everything i have mentioned in my post and he has a stock botom end and is running a 13.9. He had a custom fuel return line made and all the other good stuff for about a year now and noooo problems...runs lik a champ!

Old 03-01-2008, 06:15 AM
First of all learn about some EFI tuning before you post something like this.
second, people arent leaning out to dangerous levels... not even close.
third, most nitrous kits dont require ecu tuning if you are not going crazy with it.
fourth, do you even know what detonation is? detonation is caused by many variables not just by "running rich"
Fifth, running a fuel return line is great but, only if you max out the stock fuel system, I dont believe anyone has yet. and you can tune your car with a piggyback system, tuning with fuel pressure is old school and dangerous no one does it anymore. there are tons of RSXs out there making good numbers without a return fuel line, and the few that do have the return fuel lines, they are making huge huge numbers
Sixth, i want to see this 210 hp fit
and lastly, seriously learn about tuning because some of the things you talked about, sounded like it came out of your a ss.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:10 AM
Banned
For once I'm going to have to give quangalang a big hand for his post it's right on all his points, freakyfit you should listen to his advice.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:37 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by claymore
For once I'm going to have to give quangalang a big hand for his post it's right on all his points, freakyfit you should listen to his advice.
word

Old 03-01-2008, 02:16 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by SPON FIT
word

Me too, me too! Yay, quang! No disrespect to Freakyfit though.

Old 03-01-2008, 02:28 PM
Banned
Now, lets all get our pitch forks, axes and torches, go to Castle Frankenstein, and corner the guy who thought it would be a great idea to freeze his Fit engine down to minus 300 degrees F. in a bath of liquid nitrogen (cryo treatment). Death to Alchemists!

Old 03-04-2008, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by quangalang
First of all learn about some EFI tuning before you post something like this.
second, people arent leaning out to dangerous levels... not even close.
third, most nitrous kits dont require ecu tuning if you are not going crazy with it.
fourth, do you even know what detonation is? detonation is caused by many variables not just by "running rich"
Fifth, running a fuel return line is great but, only if you max out the stock fuel system, I dont believe anyone has yet. and you can tune your car with a piggyback system, tuning with fuel pressure is old school and dangerous no one does it anymore. there are tons of RSXs out there making good numbers without a return fuel line, and the few that do have the return fuel lines, they are making huge huge numbers
Sixth, i want to see this 210 hp fit
and lastly, seriously learn about tuning because some of the things you talked about, sounded like it came out of your a ss.

First off, I am not going to get in a battle of words with you. People get so stupid over the internet but would never talk so hard in person especially over something sooo stupid. As I was saying.....as far as where this came from was based on a Fit that I saw running with my own eyes and his dyno sheet. So, I figure to pass this information along to see what people think. So as far as you talking smack to a fellow fitfreaker that never claimed that he was a wiz at everything like I guess you seem to be be (probably not) but people like you is what is wrong with forums. We are here to brainstorm, pass along information, and constructively critisize others but not put anyone down. Now if you think you know more than everyone else wupty F****g do....I am happy for you. I was simply here to pass along things that I saw but did not have to go into detail about everything else. Now with a mouth like yours and your idiotic/childish words do nothing but make you look like a total ass. Based on things I saw I simply posted and asked for feedback on what people think about the topic....not sit there talk smack about fellow enthusiasts. So you try and have a nice day and see if someone can give you a hug or something....looks like you need one.

And one more thing, if you read the prost in its entirety....then you will see that the reason for the return line along with tuning could assist with the leaning issue that the Fit seems to experience with minor bolt-ons.

Last edited by freakyfit; 03-04-2008 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:52 AM
ok ok dont get your panties in a bunch it's just an internet forum.
Let's talk, you think that a fuel return line would solve the problem that the honda fit runs lean with minor bolt-ons right?
Im saying that the fit doesn't run dangerously lean with minor bolt ons, sure you saw the dyno sheet but do you think it could be wrong? where did they place the wideband O2 sensor to get the readings? at the end of the tail pipe where it can't give the most accurate readings?
let's say that I am wrong and it does run lean. having a fuel return line can fix that problem by turning up the fuel pressure a little bit, but this would be my last resort because turning up the fuel pressure would mess with the entire fuel map in open loop, and in closed loop the ecu would have to make long fuel trim changes... really it's just not the best approach. YOu can just use a cheap 200 dollar piggy back engine management system to tune out the lean spot, it's a lot more simple and more precise.
And you are right... i do need a hug.

Old 03-05-2008, 06:25 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by quangalang
And you are right... i do need a hug.
e hug

Old 03-05-2008, 10:15 AM
5 Year Member
The return style fuel systems made everything easier. Just add an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and you could adjust the air/fuel. There are other ways of gaining adjustability besides changing over to a return style fuel system. I've seen these work quite well when adding FI...

Aeromotive Inc.

Being from South FL...I fully believe there's a Fit or two running with custom turbo set ups and putting down impressive numbers. There are a LOT of custom small shops down there. I had a first year specV (2002) and before 2003 there were two specV's that I knew of with custom turbos. Neither were pretty setups. Both used stock manifolds cut with a flange welded on, but both made power!

edit...and neither of them spoke english so they weren't on forums posing about their setups. Just out street racing every night.

Last edited by GAFIT; 03-05-2008 at 10:17 AM.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:27 AM
Originally Posted by freakyfit
First off, I am not going to get in a battle of words with you. People get so stupid over the internet but would never talk so hard in person especially over something sooo stupid. As I was saying.....as far as where this came from was based on a Fit that I saw running with my own eyes and his dyno sheet. So, I figure to pass this information along to see what people think. So as far as you talking smack to a fellow fitfreaker that never claimed that he was a wiz at everything like I guess you seem to be be (probably not) but people like you is what is wrong with forums. We are here to brainstorm, pass along information, and constructively critisize others but not put anyone down. Now if you think you know more than everyone else wupty F****g do....I am happy for you. I was simply here to pass along things that I saw but did not have to go into detail about everything else. Now with a mouth like yours and your idiotic/childish words do nothing but make you look like a total ass. Based on things I saw I simply posted and asked for feedback on what people think about the topic....not sit there talk smack about fellow enthusiasts. So you try and have a nice day and see if someone can give you a hug or something....looks like you need one.

And one more thing, if you read the prost in its entirety....then you will see that the reason for the return line along with tuning could assist with the leaning issue that the Fit seems to experience with minor bolt-ons.
I agree.. no need to be so hard on the guy he never claimed to be an expert and he was looking for constructive feedback.. and yeah some of us are old school and a Fuel Pressure Regulator was a good mod cheap mod back in the day to get a little extra tuning (speaking from experience 98 LS Teg i/h/e and later Drag 3 Turbo Kit @ 10 - 12psi), I also agree that some of the newer piggyback systems will probably fix the problem more effeciently and at less risk, though i really don't think we are at any risk unless like people said your getting ridiculous with your NOS. I think you both have good points so my question is this....

Can't we all just get along?

Old 04-18-2008, 08:42 AM
5 Year Member
Alright lemme break it down for you guys to make the fuel system a little easier to understand. A fuel system with a pressure regulator will NOT increase the fuel pressure at the injectors in a car that has a returnless system. In older Hondas (pre returnless fuel systems) a vacuum port was attached from the manifold to the top of the fuel pressure regulator, and when the driver floored the car the diaphragm in the fuel pressure regulator would close and no (to very little) fuel would be sent back to the fuel tank. This would in effect increase fuel pressure being sent to the injectors, thereby increasing the amount of fuel being sent to the injectors.

In our new type of fuel systems without a return you guys are proposing that we add a return line to increase fuel pressure? This would in fact decrease fuel pressure, even if the diaphragm was completely closed at all times! Having a completely closed pressure regulator is exactly the same as having a returnless fuel system.

So in conclusion having a fuel pressure system would in fact do absolutely nothing for you in the tuning area as it would not give you any additional control on the output of fuel.

Tom

Old 04-18-2008, 09:15 AM
Originally Posted by DynamicFit
Alright lemme break it down for you guys to make the fuel system a little easier to understand. A fuel system with a pressure regulator will NOT increase the fuel pressure at the injectors in a car that has a returnless system. In older Hondas (pre returnless fuel systems) a vacuum port was attached from the manifold to the top of the fuel pressure regulator, and when the driver floored the car the diaphragm in the fuel pressure regulator would close and no (to very little) fuel would be sent back to the fuel tank. This would in effect increase fuel pressure being sent to the injectors, thereby increasing the amount of fuel being sent to the injectors.

In our new type of fuel systems without a return you guys are proposing that we add a return line to increase fuel pressure? This would in fact decrease fuel pressure, even if the diaphragm was completely closed at all times! Having a completely closed pressure regulator is exactly the same as having a returnless fuel system.

So in conclusion having a fuel pressure system would in fact do absolutely nothing for you in the tuning area as it would not give you any additional control on the output of fuel.

Tom
Thanks for shedding the light on this subject... I'm actually new to the Fit so i don't know much about the Fuel System... DC2 yes.. Fit

Old 04-19-2008, 10:39 PM
5 Year Member
I can't say what the A/F was on my stock fit but i can tell you this... in preparation for my KWSC i am running mugen headers. megan cat-delete, t1r midpipe, and mugen dual silencer. i also had an o2 bung welded on to the megan test pipe and installed the AEM wideband UEGO controller. I have been monitoring my A/F real-time as i drive for the past 3 weeks. here is what i have found.

closed loop, at idle, and cruising speeds - a/f reads between 14.7 - 15.0 which is pretty lean.

open loop, WOT - a/f drops to 13.4 - 13.6

i am assuming that when i get the sc with upgraded injectors/supercard chip it will drop significantly. can't report on that yet because i don't have it on.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:57 PM
Originally Posted by leonine
open loop, WOT - a/f drops to 13.4 - 13.6
WOW! My car would be dead.

Old 04-19-2008, 11:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cavie187
WOW! My car would be dead.
meaning what exactly? Are you talking about the fit?

edit: if it's not obvious by my post please elaborate

Last edited by leonine; 04-19-2008 at 11:07 PM.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:08 PM
Originally Posted by leonine
meaning what exactly? Are you talking about the fit?
Meaning my engine would be toast. No, not talking about the Fit.

Old 04-19-2008, 11:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cavie187
Meaning my engine would be toast. No, not talking about the Fit.
I figured that but i was hopeing for more info. 13.4 is pretty good from what i know but i am guessing that you have a dodge v8? what's your a/f?

Quick Reply: Leaning out? How about fuel return line and fuel pressure regulator for Fit?