Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Nitrous - How much?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 11:26 PM
Originally Posted by GAFIT
Turbo???

Nitrous kits are usually rated at whp. So the 35 jets should be good for 125whp. Keep in mind that a nitrous car hits peak torque the second you hit the button. Given enough traction a nitrous car with equal peak hp is faster than a turbo or s/c car because of the torque gain.

An intake is not that important with nitrous because you are supplying your own oxygen to the motor through chemical means. The header and good exhaust will have huge gains just as it does with turbo or s/c.

Given a strong enough bottom end the ultimate combo is nitrous with a turbo. The nitrous helps the turbo spool faster and adds cold dense air. NHRA doesn't allow the combo likely because it's too good.
lol, whoops. typo. meant for that to say nitrous, not turbo. I got a little over excited, I think. I won't have 4000 dollars until... well, I may never have 4000 dollars.

okay, last question I think, should I get a wet or dry kit? my cousin wants me to get a dry kit, but wouldn't I need to add more fuel to the mix(keep in mind i'm only running a 35 or 50 shot)

Last edited by drzenitram; 02-20-2008 at 11:48 PM.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:04 AM
5 Year Member
I prefer wet kits, but many have good luck with dry. A dry kit raises the pressure to your injectors and has them supply the extra fuel. Benefit of that is possibly better fuel distribution. Negative is extra wear on your injectors and possibility of going beyond their max flow rate. A wet kit injects the fuel and nitrous together through the intake. Positive is that you can add whatever fuel is necessary up to the fuel pumps limit. Negative is the intake was designed to flow air not fuel so poor distribution or puddling is a possibility.

Basically, I'd leave it to the professionals at NX to pick the right setup for your needs. They know better than me.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:06 AM
I prefer wet kits, but many have good luck with dry. A dry kit raises the pressure to your injectors and has them supply the extra fuel. Benefit of that is possibly better fuel distribution. Negative is extra wear on your injectors and possibility of going beyond their max flow rate. A wet kit injects the fuel and nitrous together through the intake. Positive is that you can add whatever fuel is necessary up to the fuel pumps limit. Negative is the intake was designed to flow air not fuel so poor distribution or puddling is a possibility.

Basically, I'd leave it to the professionals at NX to pick the right setup for your needs. They know better than me.
what kind of terrible awful things can happen with poor distribution or puddling?

Old 02-21-2008, 10:34 PM
5 Year Member
Worst case scenario...a cylinder can run lean, detonate and burn a hole in the piston or blow a head gasket.

There isn't a reason to worry about that at these low levels.

Ultimate nitrous kit is a direct port where fuel and nitrous is injected to each cylinder seperately via a fogger nozzle. That's beyond what we're talking about, but I've run that set up also. Right now I have a wet kit with a single fogger nozzle...it just adds some cold dense oxygen and torque to my supercharged Mustang.

Old 02-22-2008, 03:21 PM
Smile

Worst case scenario...a cylinder can run lean, detonate and burn a hole in the piston or blow a head gasket.

There isn't a reason to worry about that at these low levels.

Ultimate nitrous kit is a direct port where fuel and nitrous is injected to each cylinder seperately via a fogger nozzle. That's beyond what we're talking about, but I've run that set up also. Right now I have a wet kit with a single fogger nozzle...it just adds some cold dense oxygen and torque to my supercharged Mustang.
That sounds like fun...ur SC Stang...what size shot are you running?

tonyd3773 (Video Guru)

Old 02-22-2008, 09:19 PM
5 Year Member
It's just a 125 shot...on a car that makes 530whp without it

Old 02-22-2008, 11:38 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Do a search on a older member on this site.

805FitSport. I think that was his name. He was running nitrous. 70-75shot normally. Everything was holding fine, even the stock clutch. I think he was in the 20,000mile range area too.

He even bumped it up to 100shot. Car held it. Dynoed 198whp on the 90-100shot and if I remember ran a 13.9@98mph on street tires.
CAI, header, exhaust, crank pulley were his other mods.

People shouldnt doubt what they havent tried.
Id still like to spray my Fit. I had plans about it right after 805FitSport did it. He inspired me with how well the car responded to it.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:55 PM
5 Year Member
So... got a recommendation from NX on what to use w/ the Fit yet?

Old 02-23-2008, 08:25 AM
5 Year Member
Yes 805Fit has NOS, btw where is he. Best thing start with 25 and go up, but I think 50 is in the safe side, and use colder plugs is a MUST.

Originally Posted by Mx6GT89
Do a search on a older member on this site.

805FitSport. I think that was his name. He was running nitrous. 70-75shot normally. Everything was holding fine, even the stock clutch. I think he was in the 20,000mile range area too.

He even bumped it up to 100shot. Car held it. Dynoed 198whp on the 90-100shot and if I remember ran a 13.9@98mph on street tires.
CAI, header, exhaust, crank pulley were his other mods.

People shouldnt doubt what they havent tried.
Id still like to spray my Fit. I had plans about it right after 805FitSport did it. He inspired me with how well the car responded to it.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:55 AM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by kimo
Yes 805Fit has NOS, btw where is he. Best thing start with 25 and go up, but I think 50 is in the safe side, and use colder plugs is a MUST.
He traded that Fit for a stock one, then bought a 4door Civic Si.
Might be going on a limb here, I think the OEM plugs in the US Fits are fine for nitrous. I think theyre platinum though, platinums need to be avoided. They tend to run hotter.

Old 03-07-2008, 03:45 AM
hmm interesting i always wondered how the little Fit would be like with some Nos, actually ive been contemplating of having one installed once i have broken in the car more.

Old 03-07-2008, 03:50 AM
Using Nos or any FI, Does anyone have any idea how the stock tranny would hold up if i had a CVT??

Old 03-10-2008, 01:46 AM
5 Year Member
Although I could be wrong, I think its safe to say I'm one of the few have actually taken a ride in a nitrous equipped Fit. I think the guys name was Manny and this might have been close to a year ago but he slapped on a nitrous kit in his Fit with a couple other mods like exhaust, lowering, etc. and I have to say that thing picked up quick. I believe he kept upping the amount of nitrous until he got to 100 shot. Slowly thereafter he sold his Fit. Reasons still remain "unknown" but the 1.5L of stock engine block aren't meant for that much nitrous fun. I guess what I'm trying to say is... just be careful and hopefully you know what you're doing.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:49 AM
5 Year Member
you can be good with a 75 shot. Throw some cold plugs in.

I want to put a nitrous kit on my bike

Old 03-10-2008, 11:05 AM
Im thinking of nitrous but it wouldnt be until a year from now :-/

Old 03-10-2008, 01:22 PM
Here's what needs figuring out to see if it makes sense to spray - how long does a 10 pound bottle last at 50HP shot in a 1.5L engine?

I make it out to a max of 2 minutes, using the formula Approximately 10bhp per lb per min.

That's a lot of down-time...

Old 03-10-2008, 01:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by prossett
Here's what needs figuring out to see if it makes sense to spray - how long does a 10 pound bottle last at 50HP shot in a 1.5L engine?

I make it out to a max of 2 minutes, using the formula Approximately 10bhp per lb per min.

That's a lot of down-time...
The smallest jets that I've run in other cars were 125. At that level I would get 7 good runs out of a bottle before the pressure was too low. Based on that a 50 shot should be good for about 17 quarter mile passes. That's a lot of passes!

Old 03-10-2008, 01:50 PM
That'll get me to work tomorrow morning...

Seriously, I guess the decider is then if you will use it for specific track events or if you want to spray and grin whenever you feel like it.

It's still way cheaper than super-charger or turbo...

Maybe if there's a real convenient place to refill the bottle it isn't that bad.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:08 PM
5 Year Member
Hmmm...I think prossett is looking at it right and I'm not. I forgot how much longer it takes the Fit to make a pass. My 125 shot car ran 12.50's. So a bottle was lasting 12.5 x 7 = 87.5 seconds. 50 hp is 2.5 times less. So the 50hp should last 87.5 x 2.5 = 219 seconds or 3.6 minutes.

So, if the Fit ran a 15.0 with the nitrous it would get about 15 runs out of a bottle.

Just playing around you'd never keep the nitrous on for 15 seconds at a time. A 10lb bottle would likely last a long time. But it is addictive and the refills aren't cheap.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:22 PM
Sure would feel good, though!

A 50 shot basically ups your engine output by half, at the wheels too - I bet you'd really feel that in such a small car as the Fit!!!

The front wheels would just fly off the tarmac, and getting that boost at the right time could really surprise the loud mouth next to you at the lights...

Doesn't matter who's right, bud - what matters is that we share the knowledge and experience.

Quick Reply: Nitrous - How much?