Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Throttle controllers, yea!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by REXXXXXXXXX
my cruise doesnt work anyway, after i put on my exhaust. i think its something to do w/ AF but idk... it works once in a while but never when i want it to... i could really care less about cruise. i just hate how i get the same acceleration out of 1/2 throttle as i do full throttle
DIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTOOOOOOOOO^^^^^^

seriously what the !!!!

Old 02-19-2008, 07:08 PM
5 Year Member
base model with no cruise control to worry about FTW

this sounds like it will be great.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:41 PM
5 Year Member
TAGGING, I miss the responses from the drive by cable system. My last the "crap-olla" is was petty horrible. But there is one thing I miss from that car when I got the Fit, the drive by cable (and a car without abs but that another topic). With the corolla, it's knows by how much I use the throttle and listen to what my foot says. While the fit, has to go though the "computer filters" to disicdes on how to save gas.

I'm not saying that the drive by wire system was bad, it just not for me, since I like to have full control of the car (granted that I'm driving the AT model )

I think I may got a bit off topic, so back at the throttle controller, does it work by "tuning" the car's ecu or by playing the butterfly valve in the throttle (sorry I'm unsure how drive by wire works)?

P.S Thank You Chikubi for finding this, now let hope it works

Old 02-19-2008, 11:33 PM
5 Year Member
I think drive by wire is an awesome idea, especially with a device such as this, then, in theory, we can have a economy driving mode, that limits our lead foot, which would really come in handy for those who will be boosted soon, and happen to have a lead foot, then when needed, on the fly, at a tap, you can be in full on performance mode.

at this point tho, I just wish honda would do a reflash like they did with the early Sis that were having the same rev hang problem. Maybe if enough of us complain about it, they will take this more seriously, after all, Si is for people we r after performance, and the Fit is for the poor...maybe someone should start a petition or something.

trust me, this will make the fit feel totally different. My buddy had an 06 Si, and what a difference the reflash made.....

Old 02-20-2008, 12:11 AM
J_L
5 Year Member
Hmmm how'd i miss this thread?

Old 02-20-2008, 12:50 AM
5 Year Member
I did some reading on the Civics and I found some good stuff on NASIOC, too, and I had never heard of anything like this at all. It sounded to me at first like it would just scale the throttle map up or down, but after reading about what the Subaru guys are doing, I'm interested in seeing what it does for the Fit.

And Chikubi, it seems you were right about the laggy throttle being for emissions purposes, I've read it in a couple other places tonight.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fshwcrs
I did some reading on the Civics and I found some good stuff on NASIOC, too, and I had never heard of anything like this at all. It sounded to me at first like it would just scale the throttle map up or down, but after reading about what the Subaru guys are doing, I'm interested in seeing what it does for the Fit.

And Chikubi, it seems you were right about the laggy throttle being for emissions purposes, I've read it in a couple other places tonight.
What?! I won? j/k Seriously though, very unexpected response and very cool, and also sorry from me for being somewhat of a git, I can get fired up real easy sometimes, especially on the 'net.

Do you have any links to post for what you read? I'd like to do some reading myself and would be curious to see what you found.

With regards to the Fit and the controllers for it, neither company is really saying anything yet -- Blitz has nothing on their site at all and Pivot just has a teaser shot. To answer some questions, from I can see from looking at an install sheet for a similar product for different cars, the controller gets plugged-in inline w/ the sensor coming from the pedal itself -- i.e. pedal>DBW controller>OEM connector, then there's some other connections to the fuse box, etc. (I just skimmed it). In general, looks to be a very simple install. Now what features these will have is still in the air, but Pivot does say it'll have a throttle position monitor and switchable modes, so that's a start I guess. My friend also said these are being looked at by the JDM CTR guys since they're DBW as well, so there's a good chance they may not be car specific, but designed to work with a certain range of models or for one's company's vehicles. No one has these yet, so no blog/parts reviews from anyone that I can find. We just have to wait for March and see what people start saying. In the meantime, here's the teaser from Pivot:

Old 02-20-2008, 03:12 AM
5 Year Member
I'm drooling over those. May I have the translation of what it say, since I cannot read Japanese?

Old 02-20-2008, 09:53 AM
Chikubi FTW!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-20-2008, 11:02 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Chikubi
What?! I won? j/k Seriously though, very unexpected response and very cool, and also sorry from me for being somewhat of a git, I can get fired up real easy sometimes, especially on the 'net.

Do you have any links to post for what you read? I'd like to do some reading myself and would be curious to see what you found.

With regards to the Fit and the controllers for it, neither company is really saying anything yet -- Blitz has nothing on their site at all and Pivot just has a teaser shot. To answer some questions, from I can see from looking at an install sheet for a similar product for different cars, the controller gets plugged-in inline w/ the sensor coming from the pedal itself -- i.e. pedal>DBW controller>OEM connector, then there's some other connections to the fuse box, etc. (I just skimmed it). In general, looks to be a very simple install. Now what features these will have is still in the air, but Pivot does say it'll have a throttle position monitor and switchable modes, so that's a start I guess. My friend also said these are being looked at by the JDM CTR guys since they're DBW as well, so there's a good chance they may not be car specific, but designed to work with a certain range of models or for one's company's vehicles. No one has these yet, so no blog/parts reviews from anyone that I can find. We just have to wait for March and see what people start saying. In the meantime, here's the teaser from Pivot:

Haha I never have a problem admitting if I'm wrong, and to me the best thing in life is learning new things, so I love it when I'm wrong because it means now I know something I obviously didn't before.

I doubt this controller will have the same level of adjustability as the Subaru stuff, but if it really helps, then its got to be worth something. I closed the tabs last night, but I found a couple again. Here they are:

How Subaru's Throttle By Wire System Works - COBB Forums
Throttle duty cycle mapping table - Open Source Reflashes - NASIOC

It looks like the Subarus have the DBW mapping in the ECU proper, which is what my original thought was for the Fit, too, so I'm still slightly skeptical. Do you know how its "tricking" the ECU, and how the ECU deals with the unexpected signal from the TPS, or am I still misunderstanding something? From what I remember about my VW days, the ECU would try to learn and correct for whatever piggyback computer you were using, so you'd have to keep resetting the ECU to get the piggyback to actually affect anything.

edit: haha that's cool, I copy/pasted a URL and it looked up the title of the page and made a pretty link

Last edited by fshwcrs; 02-20-2008 at 11:04 AM.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Slimjimx701x
I'm drooling over those. May I have the translation of what it say, since I cannot read Japanese?
Sure, here's the quick version:

Control to change your accelerator response from Economy to Sports as you like.

- World's first Eco mode (special patent pending)
- Throttle position monitor
- Easy plug-based installation

Old 02-21-2008, 02:15 AM
5 Year Member
Do you know how its "tricking" the ECU, and how the ECU deals with the unexpected signal from the TPS, or am I still misunderstanding something? From what I remember about my VW days, the ECU would try to learn and correct for whatever piggyback computer you were using, so you'd have to keep resetting the ECU to get the piggyback to actually affect anything.
Thanks for the links, I'm going to look 'em over a little later when I'm more awake.

As for how it works in detail, I'd be lying if I said I knew. I'm assuming some sort of translation/transposition of the signal from the pedal, but there may be more at play. The one install sheet I skimmed for another product showed connections with the pedal, plus some other bullet connectors and a line into the fuse box. When I get some more time, I'll go and read it in more detail and see if they explain what's going on, but I have a feeling they'll keep it fairly vague. The Fit ECU does have a learning function built in from what I've heard, and I have seen learning function cancellers sold to counteract that when hooking up things like an E manage, etc., but whether the ECU sees what these controllers send as something foreign or not I can't say, and unfortunately, there really isn't much info on the JDM owner's blogs etc. yet to go by either. I just have to keep looking for something to pop up it seems.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:44 AM
5 Year Member
Hmmm. Well I guess if it works it works. I'll do a little more reading on it and see what I can come up with.

Old 02-21-2008, 03:11 AM
5 Year Member
I don't know what mods are on your CRX, but I'd look to the huge weight difference and the difference in gearing if there is one before I spent 350$ on something like this.

What were your MAF sensor readings before and after the intake mods? That'll tell you if your intake actually did anything. BTW, "air flow sensor" and mass air are the same thing. Its either MAP or MAF readings that are used by the ECU as one parameter to control fuel/spark/etc. And you're saying the WRX is fully programmable because you can send it out to get chipped? Definitely not the same as a standalone, and good luck putting a WRX ECU into a Fit either way.

Just like how a bigger TB isn't going to do anything on a basically stock car other than make the throttle modulation complete sh*t and lower the intake velocities, opening the TB up more if the motor can't move that much air will do absolutely nothing. Usually engineers have pretty good reasons for the things they do.

PS: who said anything about quarter mile?
No doubt weight is the greatest factor, but what I am trying to say is that Fit engine feels like dog in comparison, way beyond 100cc difference.

You are correct on sensor terminology! I was thinking one and typing the other. Sensors readings were up especially on ram air effect at 90 mph, but throttle would close more and speed went down to 50 mph!
I agree with you on intake air speed and stuff, but with Fit set up any change from OEM as is should yield some improvement. Problem is every attempt is "programed" to fail for the sake of maximum MPG.
I am willing to sacrifice some MPG for better driveability and more pep.

Unfortunately I do not know enough about ECU mapping and electronics to make WRX Denso ECU or any other ECU transplant for that mater work on a Fit. I just know enough that it can be done by somebody familiar with it. It would take decoding Fit ECU mapping and lot of hardwiring. I brought WRX ECU up since it is programmable and readily available for a lot less money than stand alone units sold for few times more money. I am sure there is plenty of wrecked WRX'es around. LOL!
From what I remember my WRX friend telling me, WRX ECU has 7 (or 9-I do not remember exactly) maps available and switches among them accordingly, from economy to full power. He connects his laptop to the ECU and re-flashes some of them with maps from the internet (an open source) or plays with values himself. His WRX is a pre-DBW model. I am sure many WRX owners on this forum can explain it much better than I can.

I am sure that we would be playing with our DBW Fits as we speak, exchanging maps on FF if JDM Fit did not come with a cable throttle!
Mugen, Spoon, Top Fuel and everybody else would make for a ton of choices.
They did not find any improvement over OEM ECU because theirs does not have DBW. Their ECU has to deal with what their right foot tels it to do-shoots some more fuel in combustion chambers.

We (US and Canada) are the only suckers in the universe stuck with it.
My friend's father is driving a Fit in Croatia and it is not a DBW.
Man, I am jealous!

I am all for electronic solutions to human problems everywhere not just cars. Even DBW, but as long as we retain some control over it.

If we could get this DBW to behave like a cable when we demand it for AutoX, or just spirited driving period and be able to flick it back to OEM tune for when we are just cruising that would beat cable set up hands down!

Great find Chikubi!
p.s. are you having hiccups on days when WRC events are on? That is me thanking you! LOL!

Old 02-21-2008, 03:28 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ciburri
No doubt weight is the greatest factor, but what I am trying to say is that Fit engine feels like dog in comparison, way beyond 100cc difference.

You are correct on sensor terminology! I was thinking one and typing the other. Sensors readings were up especially on ram air effect at 90 mph, but throttle would close more and speed went down to 50 mph!
I agree with you on intake air speed and stuff, but with Fit set up any change from OEM as is should yield some improvement. Problem is every attempt is "programed" to fail for the sake of maximum MPG.
I am willing to sacrifice some MPG for better driveability and more pep.

Unfortunately I do not know enough about ECU mapping and electronics to make WRX Denso ECU or any other ECU transplant for that mater work on a Fit. I just know enough that it can be done by somebody familiar with it. It would take decoding Fit ECU mapping and lot of hardwiring. I brought WRX ECU up since it is programmable and readily available for a lot less money than stand alone units sold for few times more money. I am sure there is plenty of wrecked WRX'es around. LOL!
From what I remember my WRX friend telling me, WRX ECU has 7 (or 9-I do not remember exactly) maps available and switches among them accordingly, from economy to full power. He connects his laptop to the ECU and re-flashes some of them with maps from the internet (an open source) or plays with values himself. His WRX is a pre-DBW model. I am sure many WRX owners on this forum can explain it much better than I can.

I am sure that we would be playing with our DBW Fits as we speak, exchanging maps on FF if JDM Fit did not come with a cable throttle!
Mugen, Spoon, Top Fuel and everybody else would make for a ton of choices.
They did not find any improvement over OEM ECU because theirs does not have DBW. Their ECU has to deal with what their right foot tels it to do-shoots some more fuel in combustion chambers.

We (US and Canada) are the only suckers in the universe stuck with it.
My friend's father is driving a Fit in Croatia and it is not a DBW.
Man, I am jealous!

I am all for electronic solutions to human problems everywhere not just cars. Even DBW, but as long as we retain some control over it.

If we could get this DBW to behave like a cable when we demand it for AutoX, or just spirited driving period and be able to flick it back to OEM tune for when we are just cruising that would beat cable set up hands down!

Great find Chikubi!
p.s. are you having hiccups on days when WRC events are on? That is me thanking you! LOL!

Frankly, I think you're wasting your time in a major way with that ECU transplant idea, but like I said, I'd love for you to prove me wrong. Also, you can chip DBW ECU's; my GTI was DBW and the biggest improvement you could make was a chip or reflash. The only thing left then is for someone to release something that would let you edit the maps yourself instead of having someone like Hondata or whatever do it for you. Or you could build a MS system, but I'm not sure that it can control DBW.

edit: What program/hardware are you using to log this data on the Fit? I had a VAG-COM for my VW, but I didn't realize there was something similar for the Fit.

Last edited by fshwcrs; 02-21-2008 at 03:31 AM.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:07 AM
Whuuuuuah????
somebody mention WRC......*ears perk up*....

sorry off topic....

Old 02-21-2008, 11:45 AM
5 Year Member

edit: What program/hardware are you using to log this data on the Fit? I had a VAG-COM for my VW, but I didn't realize there was something similar for the Fit.
+1. i'm new to honda, what does the community at large use for datalogging? do honda types have to use some kind of piggyback/ intercept device?

Old 02-21-2008, 02:18 PM
despite all those against dbw, dbw will outlast cable. the major difference betwen jdm and usdm is throttle. we just need a bit of data mining and analzis and a tune up of ecu. right?

Old 02-26-2008, 12:54 AM
5 Year Member
Any updates?

Old 02-26-2008, 02:49 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Slimjimx701x
Any updates?
Nothing yet. Everyone's being all Secret Squirrel and I've seen nothing other than what I've mentioned so far. Still watching though!

Quick Reply: Throttle controllers, yea!