Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

T1R Carbon Intake - First Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 01:51 PM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
T1R Carbon Intake - First Impressions

So while I was originally looking for something less then $200 for an intake I decided to splurge and just buy the T1R intake. I've had my fit for about 6 months now, and just over 10000 KM's on it, and have been using a spoon drop-in filter for the last 6000 KM's. The only other engine/electrical performance mods on my car are a Spoon N1 Axle Back, and the T1R Voltage Stabilizer and Grounding Kit.

Pictures to follow later today, since I'm at work right now.

Kit Installation

Note: I have never installed an intake on a car before, nor have any automotive mechanical background. The boxed kit came with everything needed minus one "throttle body" hose clamp. However I was given the extra clamp I needed from the shop, but other members I've spoken too had to go buy one. Strangely the kit came with no instructions, but with the help of "FIT of RAGE's" DIY it was pretty obvious what had to be done.

Installation was not that difficult, but you DO have to remove the battery, which was a bit of the pain in the butt because I already had a grounding kit and voltage stabilizer installed. After getting the grounding kit and voltage stabilizer out of the way and the battery removed, I installed the intake. I then had to find a new spot for my voltage stabilizer, but after that I was all set. The skinny blue rubber hose that is included and attaches from the engine block and goes back into the intake is a bit of a mystery to me, Fit of Rage said he only used 2 inches, but I found that might not work, so I used the entire length and just curled it around to avoid possible hose pinching.

The kit that I received was one of the newer ones and included a shorter large blue hose to connect the intake to the throttle body and it is now branded with a "T1R" logo in white. It looks like they have updated the kit to fix a few issues that people were having with earlier kits. With this kit there were no issues or rubbing on other components like the air filter bumping into the battery tie down. Although I'm concerned about where the + lead on my voltage stabilizer is going to the battery, it might rub the intake a bit and I'll have to keep an eye on it and make a fix later down the road.

Review
Well the "SLURP" sound that comes out of the intake when its going from idle to sharp rpm increase is kinda funny, I've been told this is what all SRI's (short ram intake) do. The power gains were noticeable immediately. More torque throughout the power band, and less throttle LAG especially in 3rd gear (which I used to always notice).

With my windows down and giving full throttle I can definitely HEAR when VTEC crossover is engaged @ 3400-3500 RPM. The intake starts to roar! And you can feel the added power!

While cruising sub 3000 RPM, the intake is the same as my stock/spoon drop-in, not loud at all.

Overall
I'm happy with the kit's contents and the ease of installation. The appearance of the intake and the performance is very good, I am confused however why the second hose clamp wasn't included "in the box".

I just want to add that if you install this intake, like anything else you install on your car, make sure you go for a good drive, then when you are back home check every component you touched during the install to make sure nothing is loose! I lost an engine cover bolt a few weeks ago because I didn't do this!

Installed Pics

Last edited by smatts; 01-21-2008 at 09:54 PM. Reason: added pics
Old 01-21-2008, 02:42 PM
so...you are saying you have the updated version? can you upload a pic? i wanna know the what the differences are...also does yours feels loose when u wiggle it? like you said i agree this intake isn't loud at low rpms...can't say about the powerband achieved..

Old 01-21-2008, 04:08 PM
good write up, i was excited just reading, did you get yours from ajr?

Old 01-21-2008, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by Combo
so...you are saying you have the updated version? can you upload a pic? i wanna know the what the differences are...also does yours feels loose when u wiggle it? like you said i agree this intake isn't loud at low rpms...can't say about the powerband achieved..
I'm going to upload some pictures later tonight, and will show you the new parts. My intake is not loose at all, I secured it tight with the 2 hose clamps and attached it to the engine with the rubber mount that was included. And yes I got mine from AJR.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:40 PM
5 Year Member
YOU can actually here vtec crossover? man i cant even notice the difference in feel/sound when mine kicks in.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by SD_MR_FIT
YOU can actually here vtec crossover? man i cant even notice the difference in feel/sound when mine kicks in.
Well maybe I'm not hearing it but something sure is loud, when you are on the open throttle with this thing and you hit the 3400-3500 rpm mark this thing starts to scream.

I've noticed that when the engine starts to lug I can head the metal on the filter hitting the battery tie down post, I'm going ot have to make some adjustments since the 3/4 inch gap between them doesn't seem to be enough.

Also, added pics.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by smatts
Well maybe I'm not hearing it but something sure is loud, when you are on the open throttle with this thing and you hit the 3400-3500 rpm mark this thing starts to scream.

I've noticed that when the engine starts to lug I can head the metal on the filter hitting the battery tie down post, I'm going ot have to make some adjustments since the 3/4 inch gap between them doesn't seem to be enough.
This thing is very loud when you're in WOT. I love it.
I also noticed the metal on metal contact between the filter and the battery as well... though it hasn't bothered me enough to fix it... doesn't seem to have damaged the filter yet. The thought has crossed my mind though to wrap a rag or something on the battery tie down rod... at least that'll soften up the rattling.

Old 01-22-2008, 04:28 AM
5 Year Member
i bought a used T1R intake off "toyotalover" thursday night! & just installed it this past friday.
the installation was pretty easy because i also read "fit of rage's" DIY & a friend was there to help. i dont have the new updated intake like yours but mine does not have a gap between the intake & battery.. its touching the battery. and i also moved the battery as far right as i can! but i don't hear any rubbing!
but i can definintely tell when the VTEC has kicked in! the intake roars & i love it! it makes the car a lot more fun to drive!

Old 01-23-2008, 01:44 PM
Quick Update

If you take a look at the included filter and spin it around you will notice that one of the ribs (ridges) has a metal cover. When I originally installed the air filter I rotated it so that the metal ridge on the filter was facing the battery tie down. But even with about 3/4 inch clearance I could hear it hitting the battery tie down resulting in this annoying metal on metal pinging sound.

What I ended up doing was facing the filter so that the metal ridge did not face the tie down and then I wrapped some double sided tape around the tie down and secured it with zip ties.

In the below image you can see that 2 ridges are making contact with the tape denting it.

Also I trimmed the blue hose down and got rid of the big "curl" that I had originally when I first put it in. While curled the tube was rubbing the heat shield on the inside of the hood. I added the round T1R sticker as well.

The added power is nice, just going to have to keep an eye on the rubbing issue with the battery tie down.

I also removed my T1R voltage stabilizer because of conflicts with having it installed in a good spot with this intake. I might put it back in but honestly I can't tell a difference with it gone. (snake oil?) Well that's a discussion for another thread.