Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Cai Vs. Sri

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 04:16 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by s0x
haha ive hung out with the owners of hfit on more than one occasion. but it seems to me that their intake is more expensive for similar power gains. also i dont really like the way it looks to much i like function plus looks. and its kinda dull.
if you want function and looks check out the t1r intake.makes good power and looks great

Old 12-24-2007, 07:03 AM
s0x
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fitn in
Hey sOx, I live here in the OC and I've got the Aspec CAI, but I added an outerwear prefilter that they made to fit for me for about $12. It is a water repellant material that seems to keep the filter cleaner and protects it pretty well....I still avoid deep puddles, but so far so good!
i believe we have met kind sir. lol at sonic about a year ago.

Old 12-24-2007, 08:39 AM
5 Year Member
ive been in knee deep water with my cold air i didnt get the hydrolock... i just left car in neutral and let car ride out i came out fine... and i live NY

Old 12-24-2007, 11:31 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by I<3GD3
I understand what you're talking about and I forgot to mention that it wasn't raining at the time I drove through the puddle. The rain had stopped an hour before and I had just pulled out of my garage. So I can cross out the idea that much of the water came through via the grill and openings between the hood and the rest of the car. I can only speculate much of the water splashed up from underneath the car. That's the reason I wouldn't want to get a CAI. Granted I can easily avoid puddles but there are situation and unforeseen circumstance in which I wouldn't want to risk it. And that's just my opinion. AS for the SRI, I've always been a big fan but when I saw that much water in my engine bay, I decided I didn't want to put myself in a bad situation. The thing is, regardless of how little water might get it, it can still do a lot of damage. I totally understand what you mean in regards to the surface area and saturation and you make a good point and argument.

But....when I was in high school auto shop long ago, our teacher demonstrated the effects of water in a V8 of a Chevy Suburban. He dropped in a TEASPOON of water and then the motor seized. A teaspoon. But those motors are so though. All we needed to do was take the spark plugs out and wait for the water to evaporate and start her up the next day. Our cars can't do that.

So with that in mind, I prefer a drop-in filter for the Fit. I've had SRI for my civic and element, but not that much was water got into the engine bay. Anyhow, I've never stated that he should or shouldn't get a CAI, SRI, or Drop-in. I just gave my account and my preference that's all. Manxman, I like your style. you address you're points clearly.
Well, there is probably a generation between your auto shop experiences and mine. I was dealing with Holley, Carter, and Rochester Spread-Bore Quadrajet carburetors when there were absolutely NO low restriction intake systems available. When we could see the symptoms of carbon deposits in the combustion chambers, we would fill a Coke bottle with water, rev the engines to 2-3K, and pour the water slowly into the carbs. After all of the smoke and steam cleared out of the exhaust, the engines ran perfectly and pinging was gone. No engine seizures ever. Not even a miss. But, there were no ECU's, no smog controls, and only a few of us had fuel injection (mechanical only).

We could argue the physics of water vs. filter styles, but I still maintain that hyrolock is not possible with a SRI unless you completely saturate the filter. It is obviously a guaranteed disaster if you immerse the filter of a CAI in water unless you have the valving to keep the water out of the intake manifold.

I also appreciate your ability to communicate clearly and precisely with sound technical reasoning. Merry Christmas!

Old 12-24-2007, 11:58 AM
5 Year Member
^
once again I agree. Especially the little 4 bangers in most econobox cars these days. Most don't create enough vaccume to suck water all the way up if the filter is not completely submerged in water at some point.

Now a 7liter v8 is a different story.

Old 12-24-2007, 07:33 PM
5 Year Member
i do the same. theres been a few that have scared me where ive had to do this. does anybody have any good sites as to where one can buy a anti hydro lock valve or whatever its called?

Old 12-24-2007, 11:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by manxman
I also appreciate your ability to communicate clearly and precisely with sound technical reasoning. Merry Christmas!
Thanks buddy. I just ordered the HKS 3-layer Hybrid drop in filer. I'll do a brief write up once it arrives.

Old 12-25-2007, 08:35 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kancerr
i do the same. theres been a few that have scared me where ive had to do this. does anybody have any good sites as to where one can buy a anti hydro lock valve or whatever its called?
AEM makes and sells them. They are all over ebay as well.