Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Need advice, exhaust to LOUD!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 07:39 PM
5 Year Member
Question Need advice, exhaust to LOUD!

I need advice, my exhaust is to loud, it
vibrates the whole car.
I have headers, 50mm all the way back, downpipe, flowtech cat, 50mm skunk 2 catback.
Even with the silencer on, it screams look at me, I want a ticket!!!
I get the evil drones!!! very annoying.

Should I add another resonator? or have the skunk muffler cut out and something else welded in???
Not sure where I should go from here.
BTW, my fit is A/T sport.

Thanks!

Last edited by fit2bking; 12-19-2007 at 07:44 PM.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:04 PM
Retired Moderator
Sell the skunk 2 and get a Megan Racing axle back. Very subtle but sounds fantastic. Also very affordable.

Tyler

Old 12-19-2007, 08:05 PM
Banned
It sure sounds like your axle back portion of the exhaust needs to be replaced. The rest of the system isn't overly large, so shouldn't be a problem with the right muffler. If you are planning to cut-and-weld anything else to replace your muffler look at the following link. Otherwise, read the posts on other axle backs and try one of them with your present system. Here's the link:

Performance Exhaust, Performance Mufflers, Exhaust Systems, Exhaust Kit, Diesel Exhaust

Last edited by manxman; 12-19-2007 at 08:10 PM.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:33 PM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
get rid of the test pipe.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:40 PM
5 Year Member
sell your exhaust to me... problem solved

Old 12-19-2007, 11:56 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
you need to put the stock exhaust back on and just run an axle back, and if you say thatll lose power, i will say its a fit you dont need power

Old 12-20-2007, 01:03 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by YazzFlute
you need to put the stock exhaust back on and just run an axle back, and if you say thatll lose power, i will say its a fit you dont need power
agreed... shouldnt have gotten a full system if you didnt want it to be "loud" cuz I cant even imagine the fit being loud, even with all that done

Old 12-20-2007, 08:47 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
I have a full T1R system (with exception of the Cat)

Sounds ok, not too loud at all. Only in the extreme upper RPM it gets really loud... the GF commented it sounds like an F1 car, lol I created a vid of it, a crappy vid.... but a vid none the less Most people that ride with me (from work) don't even notice I have an aftermarket exhuast.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...ust-video.html

IMO I would say you have to start by dropping the Skunk2 Muffler if you want it to quiet down.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 12-20-2007 at 08:51 AM.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:17 AM
Put the stock cat back on. Why did you do all those exhaust modifications if you don't want it loud?

Old 12-20-2007, 09:36 AM
5 Year Member
What intake are you using?

I find my H-Fit Supa Sucka Intake to be louder than my J's Racing Header, stock cat, and Fujitsubo Power Getter cat back combined.

Old 12-20-2007, 10:16 AM
5 Year Member
I'm enjoying the performance of my exhaust, just wasn't looking for
to much noise.

I'm using the t1r intake.

Old 12-21-2007, 02:06 AM
5 Year Member
i am running a J's racing b-pipe and J's racing 50rr axle back with a T1R intake and it is .....LOUD!!!

I just stuck my stock muffler on, and now I can floor it all over the place.

Old 12-21-2007, 10:13 AM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up Vroooom!

Originally Posted by ToyotaLover
i am running a J's racing b-pipe and J's racing 50rr axle back with a T1R intake and it is .....LOUD!!!

I just stuck my stock muffler on, and now I can floor it all over the place.
I can't wait! My J's Racing 50rr and J's Racing B Pipe will be here in time for Christmas!

Old 12-21-2007, 09:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ToyotaLover
Oh yes -- I got same setup, but with a Power Box instead. I luv me some tunnels and bridges with the windows down.

Old 12-21-2007, 11:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Chikubi
Oh yes -- I got same setup, but with a Power Box instead. I luv me some tunnels and bridges with the windows down.

yah, but you have a 5spd....i'm runing a AT...it's so annoying..=) ordered the silencer and we'll see how that goes.

Old 12-25-2007, 04:18 AM
Exhaust Loudness Attack

Well, the muffler is definitely what decides what the sound is to be in the end.

I had the Megan Axle-back, which has a nice tone, then installed the Megan mid-pipe looking to gain some more power. All of a sudden, the Fit became a NASCAR machine... hugely louder. I ended up putting the stock muffler back on temporarily, and the car was stock-quiet again. All I could hear at that point was the Fujita intake.

Now I have the Skunk2 Cat-Back Exhaust. With just the Cat-Back, with silencer installed, the sound is racing but civilized. I'm sure the intake adds a little bit to the overall output potential and sound, too. If I step on it, yeah, the exhaust will produce much more roar, but generally it's a nice low tone and really sounds tuned into the higher rpm's. I'm not worried about drawing the wrong attention, such as getting a ticket. It's obviously not stock, but it's not obnoxious sounding.

I'll bet that every piece you add in addition to just the axle-back will add more noise for each piece added. You've got to modify somehow to get the sound level down to where you like it.

One drawback to an axle-back system is that you don't have the option of fitting other bolt-on pieces, such as mufflers, because the axle-back goes all the way back and does not allow you to bolt on anything different, such as a quieter muffler, unless, like you said, cut it and weld something else on.

I would definitely recommend the Skunk2 axle-back to any friend looking to upgrade to more power and a good sound, which as Skunk2 puts it, is better sounding than all comparably priced systems. My second choice would probably be the Tanabe Touring exhaust, which is supposed to be a quiet exhaust, and from what I've read here, is, though I haven't heard it in person.

With several pieces there for you to decide to keep/ditch, or just change the sound of, you've gotta make a choice. I'd think that with all the power you are gaining with your headers, down-pipe, and cat, that you might just change the muffler to decide the final sound output, without compromising too much on the get up and go you've become used to.

e.b.

Last edited by ebcspace; 12-25-2007 at 04:21 AM.
Old 12-25-2007, 12:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ebcspace
One drawback to an axle-back system is that you don't have the option of fitting other bolt-on pieces, such as mufflers, because the axle-back goes all the way back and does not allow you to bolt on anything different, such as a quieter muffler, unless, like you said, cut it and weld something else on.
This is actually not true -- both the J's and Spoon center-pipes, and also the T1R (maybe Megan too, not sure) will let you bolt on any axle-back no problem. I do remember seeing that the Skunk2 doesn't allow for that, so that would explain your experience, but other brands have no problem.

Personally, if it were me, I'd just ditch the center pipe and use another Co.'s axle-back on the stock OEM piping. There are quite a few good choices out there that will still give great results and not be too loud. In my case, I had just the J's axble-back on the OEM piping for a few months while I waited for the center to come, and it was very quiet in most cases, almost stock sounding, but made a nice improvement in the way the car performed.

With any exhaust, once you lose the resonantor on the center-pipe, they get louder by a great deal, hence why my J's really wails like a banshee. Lose the cat too, and it gets even moreso. OEM piping and a good axle-back though, and it becomes very managable.

Old 12-25-2007, 01:50 PM
Cat-Back Pieces / Axle-Back Mix and Match

Originally Posted by Chikubi
This is actually not true -- both the J's and Spoon center-pipes, and also the T1R (maybe Megan too, not sure) will let you bolt on any axle-back no problem. I do remember seeing that the Skunk2 doesn't allow for that, so that would explain your experience, but other brands have no problem.
I can see clearly now. Thanks for the info. Soon I will snatch the pebble from your hand (in this lifetime, hopefully) And yes, Megan too, will allow any bolt on axle-back. I was able to put the stock muffler back onto the Megan mid-pipe. They should all be like this in a happy world.

e.b.

Last edited by ebcspace; 12-25-2007 at 01:53 PM.
Old 12-25-2007, 02:44 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
I do remember seeing that the Skunk2 doesn't allow for that, so that would explain your experience, but other brands have no problem.
True

You all have to remember the Skunk2 exhaust was designed to run ONLY the Skunk2 muffler. You cannot change the muffler out for another one without going to a shop and having the old axle back cut off.

Put in the OEM cat. Should solve about 25% of the sound. But youll lose the power gain. What Ill suggest that will solve everything is get a different cat-back. Apexi WS. The big muffler will keep the tone low.

Any canister muffler style exhaust on the Fit is going to be loud. (To some) With or without a cat. I opted for a TwinLoop for that reason. The exhaust gases/noise flow through my muffler 2 times keeping tones down.

My car isnt silent but its not LOUD. It makes noise but Ive never heard anyone say my car sounds bad. My friends all say it sounds great.
I want to change the muffler though. Id like to hear only my intake in WOT. Then again, I want the T1R VIP muffler. With that muffler my car will deff be loud at idle.

T1R testpipe, Ebay cat-back, Netami TwinLoop is what Im running.

Old 12-26-2007, 03:12 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the advice!

What do you guys think of cutting out the skunk2 muffler and replacing it with a Magnaflow:

I'm hoping to get rid of the annoying vibration/loudness from the exhaust, it really vibrates the WHOLE car, even at idle.