Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Kraftwerks SC vs. AJR turbo. Discuss.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 03:02 AM
Former Vendor
As for tempuratures, we have ran the Turbo setup on Pacific raceway WA in July 2007 while the tempurature was at 26 degress celcius and Nov 2007 at Buttonwillow Raceway CA at about 30 degress celcius with doing 15-20 laps continously (4-6 sessions per track day). Oil tempurature was stayed at (Peak) 110 degree celcius and water temp at 97 degree celcius. I don't think anyone can hit this kind of tempuratures with just street driving.

Jackson does make good FI setup. Very skillful and expierenced and I can't beat that when it comes to Super Charger

Old 12-20-2007, 08:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by AJ PwR Jr.
As for tempuratures, we have ran the Turbo setup on Pacific raceway WA in July 2007 while the tempurature was at 26 degress celcius and Nov 2007 at Buttonwillow Raceway CA at about 30 degress celcius with doing 15-20 laps continously (4-6 sessions per track day). Oil tempurature was stayed at (Peak) 110 degree celcius and water temp at 97 degree celcius. I don't think anyone can hit this kind of tempuratures with just street driving.

Jackson does make good FI setup. Very skillful and expierenced and I can't beat that when it comes to Super Charger
couple of questions, as i am most interested in how this kit holds up under road race conditions-
1. what was the lap time?
2. could you spell out your supporting mods - intake, fuel pump, exhaust past the cat, etc.
3. will it fit an automatic? because, unfortunately, i have an auto on my car.
4. could you verify that your kit is tuned on 91? i live on the east coast, so i'm guessing that i'll be able to tune a little more power out of it while still being safe.
5. observed MPG when driving "normally" please

Old 12-20-2007, 08:35 AM
5 Year Member
btw, if Oscar would like to chime in regarding his testing methods, that would be great. i'm particularly interested in the SC's ability to sustain boost under road race conditions, part-throttle responce, seperate maps for 93 or 100+ octane, etc., which exhaust and intake set he has on when doing his testing/ tuning.

this isn't a deal breaker, but is there SC whine? i'll be honest, i hate the sound of SC's, but there are worse things in life.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:29 AM
A supercharger and turbo are completely differant feels in ride. IMO if your just looking to bolt on either is fine. I've owned both on many cars. I always liked the turbo because you can always change and do differant setups (turbos,tunes,routing). But for a daily that I just wanted a bit more out of a jrsc always seemed to do the trick.

Everything is user preference, how do you like to drive, where do you like your power coming in at? In both kits I think its a huge mistake that they aren't offering axles or even a clutch. Not to get into this again but the stock axles and clutch are not designed for that added power and will wear out much quicker than it should. To lead customers to believe their stock stuff is just as good is incorrect. The Skunk2 had an aftermarket clutch custom made by ACT. Your telling me they upgraded it for no reason?

I know I tell every customer who upgrades their cars power like this to invest in a clutch and a set of axles to save themselves trouble down the line. Can it be driven with the OEM? Yes that has been said but its definately not 100% safe like stock is.

Old 12-20-2007, 10:13 AM
5 Year Member
I'm simply tagging this thread...

Old 12-20-2007, 10:21 AM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by Hocker
A supercharger and turbo are completely differant feels in ride.
Bingo! Both setups should get some love here hahaha! Good gains for both setups, you don't need to run an intercooler for either setup, prices are similar, just depends on what you want

Old 12-20-2007, 10:31 AM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kennef
this isn't a deal breaker, but is there SC whine? i'll be honest, i hate the sound of SC's, but there are worse things in life.
The great thing about the Rotrex is it is VERY Quiet... I can barely hear it with the radio down.

Old 12-20-2007, 10:48 AM
5 Year Member
THe JRSC kit seems to have the upper hand...at least for people like kennef and myself who have auto fits....the linear power delivery and non-peaky nature (generally speaking) when compared to a turbo seem to be more in line with having an auto. The plug and play-ness of the kraftwerks kit is nice too.

i just wish that someone would come out with pistons and rods for the fit, as it couldn't hurt to do so before FI.

The aj kit looks cool to, but i think i'd enjoy the power delivery of the SC more, again because my fit is autoed. Plus, its cheaper, though i'll be opting for the intercooler and it'll be a bit more pricey. (plus i think the auto kit is more dinero to begin with.)

I think they are both cool looking kits and both have their advantages, and like its been mentioned before, it depends on what kind of power delivery you are looking for, so the real question is probably what is better for you?

Old 12-20-2007, 10:53 AM
5 Year Member
couple of questions, as i am most interested in how this kit holds up under road race conditions-
2. could you spell out your supporting mods - intake, fuel pump, exhaust past the cat, etc.
4. could you verify that your kit is tuned on 91? i live on the east coast, so i'm guessing that i'll be able to tune a little more power out of it while still being safe.

kennef, just a question.

personally, i'm looking into the kit as an alternative to buying a similiarly powered sport compact like an si or gti, i have no intentions of going to the track.

Do you really plan on doing track stuff?

fuel economy figures seemed to still be decent, but your left foot will probably want to do more talking than it did before, so in that sense, fuel economy will probaly drop.

the base 5lb kit will be made for the auto's, but the 10lb kit wont be. From what has been said in the Kraftwerks thread, there seems to be a upgrade that JR will provide to increase boost on the 5lb kit; but i dunno if its going to be available to base kit auto owners.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:10 AM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
Now i know i'm going to get bashed for saying this, but what is everyone's PERSONAL opinion on which is better for an AT?

(no one in my family knows how to drive stick plus....PADDLE SHIFT!!!)

Old 12-20-2007, 11:39 AM
5 Year Member
I like the gains of the T1R kit better, but this is my daily (120+ miles) and the SC kit runs colder.

At least that would be for me if I wasn't broke

Old 12-20-2007, 12:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Toy Yoda
Now i know i'm going to get bashed for saying this, but what is everyone's PERSONAL opinion on which is better for an AT?

(no one in my family knows how to drive stick plus....PADDLE SHIFT!!!)

like i said before, i think that the JRSC is a better fit for us auto guys...even some of the best FACTORY turbos from people who have been doing it for decades have a little lag...and while the Turbo kit looks cool and i like the gains as well, it wont have the same type of delivery that the supercharger will. Not to mention that the rotrex unit is a lot more seamless, quiet and efficient than the old eaton/roots type chargers and its been praised for its seamless and virtually lag free delivery.

i'm not saying that manual guys wouldn't appreciate this, but aftermarket turbo's to me at least, have always seemed better suited to manuals than autos.

Old 12-20-2007, 12:41 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
both companies' kits are so nice. it's a really tough decision i think, and depends on the preference of the buyer.

Old 12-20-2007, 12:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by eldaino
kennef, just a question.

personally, i'm looking into the kit as an alternative to buying a similiarly powered sport compact like an si or gti, i have no intentions of going to the track.

Do you really plan on doing track stuff?

fuel economy figures seemed to still be decent, but your left foot will probably want to do more talking than it did before, so in that sense, fuel economy will probaly drop.

the base 5lb kit will be made for the auto's, but the 10lb kit wont be. From what has been said in the Kraftwerks thread, there seems to be a upgrade that JR will provide to increase boost on the 5lb kit; but i dunno if its going to be available to base kit auto owners.
oh yeah, the car will definitely see track time. so durability is a big issue to me. i wonder about the auto tranny and whether it needs an oil cooler. i'm guessing that even with the FI, the fit just isn't pushing the weight to really stress that tranny and that some amsoil should do it, but i don't know. a big reason as to why hondas are light - their transmissions don't need to be as heavy because they are built with low torque motors in mind. so with boost come a lot of other questions for me, such as the supporting mods necessary to ensure the fit is durable for sustained track work.

Old 12-20-2007, 01:19 PM
I have always been a fan of turbocharging rather than supercharging.... kits aside.

And of course for cooling you cannot go wrong with some 50/50 meth/water mix and good safeguards (and proper tuning of course).

Either way you are putting more stress on the engine so that is always a concern. It has a lot to do with the tune too.

Old 12-20-2007, 01:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CasopoliS
I have always been a fan of turbocharging

Either way you are putting more stress on the engine so that is always a concern. It has a lot to do with the tune too.
speaking of tune, we know that the AJR is coming with Greddy Emanage piggyback. what will the KW product come with? how well will these products utilize the stock sensors, at what resolution, and how easy will it be to find a competent tuner with these kits? as you can imagine, i'm not that comfortable with sticking with a base map as my only tune. plus i have 93 octane available, so i'd like to take advantage of it since i have to pay for it even if i were tuned for 91 (no 91 stations around here).

Old 12-20-2007, 02:23 PM
Former Vendor
1) 1.47 @ Pacific raceway WA / 2.06.296 @ Buttonwillow Raceway CW13 California

2) T1R Turbo kit + T1R 50 exhaust, T1R suspension components, J's LSD, ATS clutch.

3) Yes this will fit an AT. We have an AT Fit running this setup.

4) 91 or higher will be fine.

5) 8-10%

Thanks
Ben

Old 12-20-2007, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member
speaking of tune, we know that the AJR is coming with Greddy Emanage piggyback. what will the KW product come with? how well will these products utilize the stock sensors, at what resolution, and how easy will it be to find a competent tuner with these kits? as you can imagine, i'm not that comfortable with sticking with a base map as my only tune. plus i have 93 octane available, so i'd like to take advantage of it since i have to pay for it even if i were tuned for 91 (no 91 stations around here).

this is a great question, we don't have 91 octane around here either. nc has even got 100 octane gas stations!

the 5lb kit comes with a base map tune from the jacksons, the 10lb kit is going to have hondata programming.

you should really check out the kraftwerks thread, alot of this info is there! and you are asking some questions that no one else has asked! (and it seems to be pertaining more towards the jrsc anyway.)

Old 12-20-2007, 02:32 PM
5 Year Member

2) T1R Turbo kit + T1R 50 exhaust, T1R suspension components, J's LSD, ATS clutch.

5) 8-10%

Thanks
Ben
regarding #1, does that mean that you've been on-track driving at 80% or greater for 30 minutes? i ask as a means to measure the durability of your turbo kit.

regarding #5, does that mean 8-10% MPG?

Last edited by kennef; 12-20-2007 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:32 PM
5 Year Member

5) 8-10%

Thanks
Ben

8-10% increase or decrease in fuel economy? those times are good too!

Does the a/t kit cost more?

Quick Reply: Kraftwerks SC vs. AJR turbo. Discuss.