Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Does Anybody know of a reputable performance clutch for the Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 06:09 PM
5 Year Member
Does Anybody know of a reputable performance clutch for the Fit?

So my clutch went out at 26,000 miles and the dealer I purchased the car from refused to warranty it. Anyways like the title states I'm looking for a performance clutch to replace it, but am having a hard time finding anything. Just wondering if anyone knows of a reputable performance clutch company that carries the Fit clutch? I've tried search Exedy and ACT already.
Thanks,
Tom

Old 10-20-2007, 06:58 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Only one clutch that I know of, AJRacing carries it. Its made by ATS.
Im sure its a good $1000 also.
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/aj-r...ghlight=clutch

Old 10-20-2007, 07:34 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
im in the same boat... ACT made 1 prototype for the skunk2 fit, and it is not in production. Exedy is supposedly working on one. there is someone in the non-vendor group buy section that sells modified D series Competition clutches to fit the Fit. And he was reassured to me as a good person to do business with by the people at competition clutches

Old 10-21-2007, 07:43 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the responses guys. Yesterday I spoke with SDpannfit or bj about the same thing. He told me the guys at Competition clutches would be able to help me and quite possibly develop one. I'll probably try to contact these guys and am also currently looking into the carbonetic clutch in the AJ car. Ben said he'll give me the info on what is required to get the clutch to work. I'll get back to you guys with the info I get.

Old 11-13-2007, 02:30 PM
Sorry if this breaks the forum rules. Mods, feel free to delete if so.

I wanted to chime in to confirm that Exedy is in fact in development of a stage 1 clutch for the Fit. Im working on an ETA.

Also, our OE replacement clutch kit will be available mid january, and will likely be far less expensive than from the dealer.

Sorry that the timing doesnt work for the OP.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:54 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for chiming in Exedy guy. Unfortunately I desperately needed a clutch so I already have the ATS clutch on the way. My only choices were to either not have my car, or pay some exorbitant amount for a stock clutch or buy the ATS one. Let me tell you guys that the ATS is EXTREMELY expensive. I was hoping that exedy would've had something available, but with the timeframe that this incident occurred my car would've been down for months. Just for everyones information my clutch is not ruined because of poor driving, in fact the clutch grabs very well. The problem that occurred with the factory clutch is that it no longer wants to get out of gear. I am attributing this to either a broken pressure plate or clutch disc face seperating. Although both are part defects in my opinion Honda was not willing to warranty it for me. My advice "baby" the factory clutch.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:45 AM
I totally understand, and I apologize for not having an offering in time to help you out.

I can only imagine what the ATS cost ya'.

as a side note, Exedy is OE on many Honda applications, however, the Fit wasnt one of them. We immediately saw a need for a good OE replacement clutch due to some flaws in the design of the clutch that came in the car. (in our opinion)

Our OE replacement IMO is actually an upgrade over the stock, simply by design. Then our Stage 1 (when it becomes available) will definitely be a huge upgrade over the stock one, yet wont break the bank.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:52 AM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by yk@exedy_clutch
I

Our OE replacement IMO is actually an upgrade over the stock, simply by design. Then our Stage 1 (when it becomes available) will definitely be a huge upgrade over the stock one, yet wont break the bank.

hurry hurry hurry!

BTW dynamicfit, i have spoken with all the big clutch companys I can think of. Clutchmasters supposedly teamed up with carbonetics, so they offer the carbonetics clutch for the fit, at a whopping 1100 cheaper than ATS, but still too much. ACT i think is just letting the idea for a Fit clutch sit there. It should be in production already IMHO since they have already made a clutch and flywheel for the skunk2/kraftwerks fit. competitionclutch said they dont have a app and wont know when.

Props to Exedy for stepping up!

YK can you PM me or give me your email, i have some questions for you.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:06 PM
Our OE replacement IMO is actually an upgrade over the stock, simply by design.
After re-reading this, I should clarify. Our OE offering is designed with the same capacities as the stock clutch, so, while I feel that the design is superior, I dont want to mis-lead anyone into thinking that there will be any performance advantage over the original. Knowing what I know about our designs, and the effort put into every product we make, I think it would be safe to say that the main benefits from our OE replacement would be longevity, quality and price.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:47 PM
more good news.

I was just informed that a Stage 2 clutch will also be developed along side the Stage 1. So I think that we will have 99% of you guys covered.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:51 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
more good news.

I was just informed that a Stage 2 clutch will also be developed along side the Stage 1. So I think that we will have 99% of you guys covered.

you dont know how happy i am right now! if only this was available NOW! lol

Old 11-15-2007, 03:52 PM
Believe me, I wish it was available now too.

Old 11-15-2007, 05:52 PM
I totally understand, and I apologize for not having an offering in time to help you out.

I can only imagine what the ATS cost ya'.

as a side note, Exedy is OE on many Honda applications, however, the Fit wasnt one of them. We immediately saw a need for a good OE replacement clutch due to some flaws in the design of the clutch that came in the car. (in our opinion)

what flaws do you guys see that is making our clutches to go out so quickly?

Old 11-15-2007, 06:06 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by quangalang
what flaws do you guys see that is making our clutches to go out so quickly?
i dont think that there is a flaw and they are going out quickly, but there are ways they can improve upon the stock design so it will last even longer.

Old 11-16-2007, 01:00 AM
Originally Posted by JDMchris.com
i dont think that there is a flaw and they are going out quickly, but there are ways they can improve upon the stock design so it will last even longer.
obviously there is some kind of flaw in the design that is inferior to most clutches because clutches aren't supposed to go out at ~30000 miles

Old 11-16-2007, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by JDMchris.com

this is probably a better way of saying it.

Also, keep in mind that the Fit is an inexpensive car, so every component was skimped down to the cheapest option to keep the overall costs low. In that scenario, sometimes the quality of the product suffers.

But even with what we have seen with the OE clutch, Im still surprised that they arent lasting longer than this. 30K is really sad.

Old 11-16-2007, 12:03 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
i dont know, i have 26k on my car and my clutch still feels perfect.

Old 11-16-2007, 12:07 PM
well, maybe its only isolated incidents... that would make me feel better.
But then somebody in QC isnt doing their job... LOL

Old 11-16-2007, 09:52 PM
5 Year Member
So, lemme tell you guys what happened to the factory clutch. First of all I would like to make a statement about the service at FLADEBOE in Irvine. Their customer service sucks, I received the ATS clutch from AJ racing recently ( they have excellent customer service), and as of yesterday went about removing the factory clutch and installing the ATS piece. When I finally got the clutch out, I thoroughly inspected the clutch, and found that the pressure plate had broken. The fingers on which the release bearing would be pressed to release the clutch had come out on about three fingers. This created a situation in which even with the clutch pedal depressed the car would try to stay in gear. So after being denied a warranty fix, I am GREATLY DISPLEASED with the service at FLADEBOE honda. As this problem is obviously a manufacturer defect part and I was turned away by the dealer I purchased the car from. I am definitely going back to the dealer tomorrow to demand the $100 dollar inspection fee back, that I paid in hopes that they would see the problem and warranty it. I highly recommend that if anyone encounters the problem that I had take it directly to the Manager of the service department.
Thanks,
Tom

Old 11-17-2007, 01:28 AM
5 Year Member
hmm maybe I should stop redlining my car then lol

Quick Reply: Does Anybody know of a reputable performance clutch for the Fit?