Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Megan Test-pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 03:52 PM
5 Year Member
Without a resonator I bet the T1R has a louder higher sound. Not sure how you would attach the oem heatshield to it either. You'd have to do some welding for brackets. I think the Megan would be more likley to pass a visual inspections since it retains the oem cat convertor shape.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:44 PM
Ok so this might be a dumb question but basically the t1r or megan downpipe, replaces ( or takes away ) the cat converter? I was just having a conversation with my dad and he was saying it was illegal or something to not have the cat converter on and i had no clue what response to give to that, i didnt think it was, so i plan on still getting it. But i was just wondering if anyone new what the deal was.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member
ur dad is correct. It is ILLEGAL to drive w/o a cat on b/c the cat actually removes all of the harmful gases and products before it reaches the air. Here in california, if ur caught w/o a cat, u can be fined $1200. My friend got caught.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:41 PM
5 Year Member
i think its the same thing here in N.Y....

Old 11-13-2007, 10:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by moondog
Plenty of room for the O2 sim I got on Ebay. No cutting.
Has the downpipe triggered your CEL yet? I've been running the Megan downpipe for quite some time now and I've been in a nonstop battle with it over my CEL. I originally ran no O2 sim and it triggered the CEL, then I ran an O2 sim and it triggered my CEL,(although sometimes taking 3 tanks of gas before doing so), then I tried 2 O2 sims,(to move the sensor farther away), and it still triggered my CEL, then I tried 1 O2 sim on which I reduced the inner diameter,( to lessen the amount gases reaching the sensor), and I got my best result of 5 tanks of gas before the good 'ol CEL came on, then I tried my latest therory of 2 O2 sims the first a regular one with a 1/32 in. hole drilled in it to release some of the gases, followed by the reduced diameter O2 sim..... I don't think I got three miles before the CEL came on. I think I might be out of ideas and I am open to suggestions.

Old 11-14-2007, 03:42 AM
vbo
I had tryed "universal" o2sim and "acura only" o2 sim from O2 Simulator, E-commerce, these 2 don't work on my Jazz (L13A). Next month, i try mecanical o2sim.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:10 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gthumb23
Has the downpipe triggered your CEL yet? I've been running the Megan downpipe for quite some time now and I've been in a nonstop battle with it over my CEL. I originally ran no O2 sim and it triggered the CEL, then I ran an O2 sim and it triggered my CEL,(although sometimes taking 3 tanks of gas before doing so), then I tried 2 O2 sims,(to move the sensor farther away), and it still triggered my CEL, then I tried 1 O2 sim on which I reduced the inner diameter,( to lessen the amount gases reaching the sensor), and I got my best result of 5 tanks of gas before the good 'ol CEL came on, then I tried my latest therory of 2 O2 sims the first a regular one with a 1/32 in. hole drilled in it to release some of the gases, followed by the reduced diameter O2 sim..... I don't think I got three miles before the CEL came on. I think I might be out of ideas and I am open to suggestions.

I have gone through a couple of tanks of gas and havn't had any cel issues yet. I'm using a mechanical simulator that moves the sensor about 2 inches from the pipe. Sorry about your trouble I hope it doesn't start happening to me or I'll have to try a electronic simulator.

Does the cel affect your performance or gas millage?

Old 11-14-2007, 11:07 PM
5 Year Member
From what I've heard and read, the CEL causes the engine to run in "limp" mode to reduce the possibility of damage from the "problem" that triggered it. This does seem to be true but I can't say for sure. As for gas mileage, lately my car has only been getting in the 20's,(city), but I'm not sure I can blame that on the CEL because they don't seem to coincide with eachother. The O2 sims I have are about 1" in length.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:47 AM
Just wondering for anyone who has the downpipe, do you switch it out whenever it comes time for ur car to be inspected?

Old 11-16-2007, 03:00 PM
did you car start to run lean after you put in the cat delete? i have heard that this happens to some models, especially if you have intake header and exhaust. have you or anyothers had lean air fuel mixture issues after cat delete install?

Old 11-16-2007, 03:44 PM
Smile Cat-Delete Pipe

The install of this pipe is extremely easy. Of course you will need to jack up the car...but other then that fairly straight foward when it comes to inspections for cars. One plug to pull out and four bolts to loosen...two at the top where it meets the header and two at the bottom where it meets the beginning of the mid pipe. Then just swap the pipes out!
As far as running your car lean/rich with the intake, header, exhaust w/ cat delete pipe..probably running abit lean. But I would think the fuel map would increase fuel flow to compinsate for the increased air flow. If you are scared about this there is some programming out there to advance your timing and fuel. Best bet to be for sure would be to purchase a air/fuel ratio gauge and install....to find true readings.
These are my thoughts.

GD3blaze07'

Old 11-20-2007, 01:15 PM
5 Year Member
how's the exhaust smell with a test pipe???

Old 12-12-2007, 03:16 AM
here in cali , hear they are doing random spot check points , w/ a camera and infrared light, would it still be able to smog w/ a stock muffler?

Old 12-12-2007, 12:57 PM
5 Year Member
Smile

They do them in Las Vegas too!

I'm gonna install a racing Cat...because every bit helps HP
when are engine are 1.5L

http://images.magnaflow.com/05news/m.../catalytic.pdf

Old 12-13-2007, 01:36 AM
Former Vendor
I think you guys didn't realize that if one exhaust pipe is bigger then the other (like test pipe 2.25" / 60mm then connects to stock pipe 1.77"/ 45mm) it will actually creates a lot of turbulance to decrease exhaust efficiency meaning you will actually lose power.

Jimmy,

The New T1R cat-delete is 50mm pipe size and it will come with the taps for you to bolt the stock heatsheild back on

Thanks
Ben

Old 12-14-2007, 02:54 AM
vbo
Originally Posted by Jimmy101
how's the exhaust smell with a test pipe???
A little bit, but very discret.

Old 12-14-2007, 09:30 AM
5 Year Member
IMO if you have to replace the stock cat then get a highflow cat. There is no need to hurt the environment anymore than it already is. The test pipe will only yield negligible power increase for the Fit. I would think 1-2 hps for an NA application. In return it might get you in trouble with the law, it also make your exhaust system louder, and it smells like crap for the people around your car with their windows down.

If you are racing then get a test pipe, otherwise get a highflow cat if you must replace the stock cat.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gthumb23
I installed my Megan downpipe just yesterday, no electronic or mechanic simulator. So, 200 miles later I got a CEL.

Those who definitly got rid of this CEL, precisely how did you achieve this?

Last edited by tricolor; 05-04-2008 at 07:48 PM.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by tricolor
I installed my Megan downpipe just yesterday, no electronic or mechanic simulator. So, 200 miles later I got a CEL.

Those who definitly got rid of this CEL, precisely how did you achieve this?
U need the CEL FIX...it will move the O2 sensor further away from the exhaust flow tricking the 02 sensor into thinking everything is normal.
I have had my Megan Downpipe on for 6,000 miles no issues at all.....best mod yet. But for sure....you need the CEL FIX....check out iptuned.com.
Hope this helps.

tonyd

Old 05-05-2008, 10:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tonyd3773
I have had my Megan Downpipe on for 6,000 miles no issues at all.....best mod yet. But for sure....you need the CEL FIX....check out iptuned.com.
Hope this helps.

tonyd
I cannot trace this supplier through Google. Can you provide me a link to the part.
Thanks

Quick Reply: Megan Test-pipe?