Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

turbo question...

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 05:16 PM
5 Year Member
turbo question...

okay i have a few questions...im pretty new to cars in general...been driving for few years but my car before this was a minivan...haha but just getting into the whole modding thing...

if i go turbo...do i have to get rid of my cold air intake? how much hp can a turbo add? what about super?

pros n cons of turbo vs supercharger?

i wanted to upgrade my header/exhaust(want to do this before turbo or super)...was thinking of 2 1/4 for the complete exhaust system...? is that too big? what would be best for maximum performance. if i change my headers/exhaust...should i wait to do that after turbo? or will i be able to get turbo or supercharger after i change my headers/exhaust?

what about nitrous on the fit...? whats the maximum boost you could do without damaging it? 50-70? or can you do over 100 if you change some other parts?

and one more simple question...if i decide to go up a size in tires/rims...is there a big weight difference? dont want to sacrifice performance for looks.

thanks for helpin a noob... ;]

Old 09-19-2007, 07:22 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kancerr
okay i have a few questions...im pretty new to cars in general...been driving for few years but my car before this was a minivan...haha but just getting into the whole modding thing...

if i go turbo...do i have to get rid of my cold air intake? how much hp can a turbo add? what about super?

Yes you will have to get rid of your Intake, HP depends on the boost you run

pros n cons of turbo vs supercharger?

Turbos usually have a little better torque curve, but cause alot of heat and have turbo lag. Superchargers have a little less torque at lower RPMs but the power is instant, doesnt run as Hot and is usually a little friendlier to the engine

i wanted to upgrade my header/exhaust(want to do this before turbo or super)...was thinking of 2 1/4 for the complete exhaust system...? is that too big? what would be best for maximum performance. if i change my headers/exhaust...should i wait to do that after turbo? or will i be able to get turbo or supercharger after i change my headers/exhaust?

2 1/4 exhaust is fine. You can upgrade your header and exhaust at anytime.

what about nitrous on the fit...? whats the maximum boost you could do without damaging it? 50-70? or can you do over 100 if you change some other parts?

Nitrous i dont know, you can pretty much safely run a 50 shot with no upgrades, but i believe you MIGHT need a few things to squeeze a bigger shot. I do know 805fitsport ran 100 shot at one point.

and one more simple question...if i decide to go up a size in tires/rims...is there a big weight difference? dont want to sacrifice performance for looks.

Some wheels are lighter and bigger, some are heavier, so it really depends on the brand/type of rim and tire you use.

thanks for helpin a noob... ;]
read the bold in the quote

Old 09-19-2007, 07:24 PM
5 Year Member
thanks. helps a lot.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:08 PM
5 Year Member
if i decide to go super charger...will i still need to get rid of cai?

Old 09-19-2007, 09:24 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
yes, any FI will get rid of the intake.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:39 PM
5 Year Member
anybody have any sites where i can read about/compare the pros/cons of super/turbo...i'd like to do as much to the car and get it to perform as best as i can off the 1.5l eng. i know its not a type of car to take to a drag strip...but i think it'd be fun haha...

Old 09-20-2007, 03:58 AM
tdk
What JDMChris.com told you were correct. I never got experienced with supercharge anyway, but if I am correct what many people said that supercharge is actually has higher torque at low rpm's comparing turbocharge. Turbocharge need to spool before its activated, that what turbo lag is. Turbo start spooling around 3000 rpm and start giving extra power to the engine. You can really feel it when turbo is active or not. Below 3000 rpm, you just gonna feel like you drive an N/A car. Nice indeed.

Turbocharge usually comes along with their own header and cold air intake, N/A aftermarket header or CAI cannot be used any longer once you install a turbocharge. They have different shape. So if you are planning to install a turbo anytime soon, it would be better if you spend the money for something else that can enhance your turbocharge.

FYI, installing turbocharge need additional parts to be installed, like boost meter, fuel pump, injectors, piggyback, etc. which cost you extra money.

Aftermarket exhaust will stay there, 2 1/4 pipe is good enough for turbo I think. Sometimes bigger exhaust pipe will lose perfomance. If you wanna gain more power, just took the catalytic converter out. Hehe

I dunno anything about NOS, so I can't share anything here...heheh sorry

Upsizing rims is depends on brand and material it is made like JDMchris said. Bigger rims is heavier of course, but if you are looking for speed...16" would be suitable enough. 15" probably too small...17" nice look but will sacrifice performance. If you are looking for 17" rims with turbo, make sure you upgrade your break systems with 4 pot caliper at least. This is for your own safety.

For your reference, VOLK Racing is one of the most popular racing rims. It's made from Forged Monoblock rims which is light and strong. You can try from CE28 to RE30.
SSR also made a very good light rims, but it's not as strong as VOLK Racing cos it's only made from Semi Solid Forge (SSF). Type C for instance. Not the RS, Type C RS is only available from 17" up. It's made from 2 different materials for inner part and outer part.
ADVAN also has very nice rims, I like their RG II type. They've just released RG III version, same style with RG II just different spoke. Wedsports have some light rims, I don't remember which type it is.

I am just wanna share my thoughts here, hope in can help you a bit about turbocharge. Nice to share with you guys...and CMIIW

Last edited by tdk; 09-20-2007 at 04:06 AM.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:25 AM
5 Year Member
i do not think 15inch is too small!!, i think its perfect for racing, especially for our cars. 16 inch would be ok for looks and probably the maximum size i would go for the Fit, 17 inch would be overdoing it and would be draggin u car hence it would take more power to spin those rims. Unless u r Forced Inducted
I recommend 15inch Volks. but hey! its all up to u.

Last edited by azkikersfit; 09-20-2007 at 06:27 AM.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:15 PM
5 Year Member
thx again for the replies. i think im leaning towards super chargers...guess ill go look into that. do they have super chargers out for usa fits? only thing ive read on em is that one post where it says that one is in progress. should i wait until a few come out...probably a bad idea to get the first one?

Old 09-20-2007, 12:22 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
there are no superchargers available as of yet... However Me already having the prototype Kit, and the improvements that are being made on it currently.. it is going to be a awesome Kit!

The Kit was fantastic before.... but they are somehow making it better

Old 09-20-2007, 02:07 PM
5 Year Member
awesome. cant wait to see what they come out with. what do you all think would make better time on the drag strip(turbo or super)?...thats my main goal, do the best on the strip i can with the 1.5l engine. (i know a lot of people are probably gonna say stupid to try to drag it...but i think it would be fun, even if i lose...im sure i'd still beat a lotta people at street night who bring their parents cars...lol) i have no desire to rally with it. just the strip.

Old 09-20-2007, 02:11 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
it depends... SC vs Turbo is a whole nother long debated thread... Basically its preferance.

Old 09-20-2007, 03:04 PM
5 Year Member
If you wanted to do straight line power, i would suggest K swap i don't know much about them but there are a couple people already doing them here i believe Getinafit is doing one right now. There is a thread on here that should answer a lot of questions, also websites like fitswap or K20A.org .:. The K Series Source . Honda / Acura K20a k24a Engine Forum good luck with your fit and whatever path you choose

* Just read a part i missed saying that you want to keep a 1.5L oops :P

Old 09-20-2007, 03:08 PM
5 Year Member
yeah figured id get the whole kswap...no interest in that because in a year or so will be buying my dads 91 mustang off him...car is a beast. i'd like to do the most i can with the 1.5l engine...its a fun car to drive and handles nicely, wanna keep it that way. but guess ill go do some research. if anybody wants to post their opinions on sc vs turb go for it tho...give me some stuff to think about. ;p

Old 09-21-2007, 05:27 AM
tdk
Rite, SC and TC are not something to be debated.
Each of them has their own advantage and disadvantage, but it depends on its preference. Both are good anyway, hehe
Throwing K20 in is another story...but, it nice too indeed.

Old 09-21-2007, 10:08 PM
5 Year Member
friend was tellin me that with his turbo hes doin no exhaust...just straight down pipe...which wouldnt work for me since i have to do emissions...he said something about a switch where you can turn the switch and go from the down pipe to stock exhaust...is this possible or is he talkin out his ass? and if it is possible would i still pass emissions...? is it even worth it?

also thinkin 15" would be the way to go...know its probably not that much weight...but tryin to keep the weight down as much as i can without having to take out seats and what not like all those rally guys do...like to be able to drive it on street with friends... haha. also...what about slicks on the fit...theyre probably shit for rain/snow arent they? but would be best for drag strip?...are they worth getting just to put on to race...? or should i just stick with normal tires?

thx again for helpin a noob...know it gets annoying ;D

Last edited by kancerr; 09-21-2007 at 10:11 PM.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:30 PM
5 Year Member
i got into the turbo/sc thing with a friend that designs cars for a living and he pretty much said its pref. his pref was turbo cause its a more efficient set-up no parisitic drag plus he loves when the tc kicks on and really gives it to you... and a sc is essentially just having a bigger engine.

but apparently the rotrex sc is more like a belt driven turbo since its centrifugal (sp?)

jdmchris would know since he has the JR kit.

Old 09-28-2007, 03:54 AM
tdk
Originally Posted by kancerr
friend was tellin me that with his turbo hes doin no exhaust...just straight down pipe...which wouldnt work for me since i have to do emissions...he said something about a switch where you can turn the switch and go from the down pipe to stock exhaust...is this possible or is he talkin out his ass? and if it is possible would i still pass emissions...? is it even worth it?

also thinkin 15" would be the way to go...know its probably not that much weight...but tryin to keep the weight down as much as i can without having to take out seats and what not like all those rally guys do...like to be able to drive it on street with friends... haha. also...what about slicks on the fit...theyre probably shit for rain/snow arent they? but would be best for drag strip?...are they worth getting just to put on to race...? or should i just stick with normal tires?

thx again for helpin a noob...know it gets annoying ;D
For tire, I may suggest ADVAN Neova AD07 195/50R15. It's good for both wet and dry road.