Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

More Power... without voiding the warranty!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 01:48 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
More Power... without voiding the warranty!

Here is an interesting topic I could you some info on,

Without totally ruining my warranty, what is the most power I can get out of my stock engine? Intakes, exhuast componets and the lightened crank wheel seem to be the biggest gainers. Is there anything else that yields moderate gains?

Cheers!

Old 09-04-2007, 11:21 PM
warranties are complicated... basically the dealer can only charge you for a problem under warranty if they can prove that the aftermarket part YOU installed is the sole (or major contributing) cause of the failure. Basically, if you hadn't installed the part, the failure wouldn't have happened. For example, if you installed a turbocharger (extreme example) and blew a few piston rings, you would be liable.

As for "warranty friendly" mods, a cold-air (or chamber/short ram) intake, catback exhaust, and maybe a header is generally considered "safe." It is VERY unlikely that these parts would cause a major failure within the engine or any other part of the car. If you change the catalytic converter for a hi-flow cat or test pipe, they will void any warranty on the emissions components.

Basically, short of forced induction or changing any parts actually bolted to the engine block itself (intake manifold, throttle body, cylinder head, cams, etc) you should be safe.

I have an Aspec CAI and Axle back, and am waiting on the B-pipe from Aspec (TUAN!?!?) and have no worries about warranty. If the transmission fails, there is no way my mods could have caused it. Same with engine failures. Basically, if you really want to be safe, just think about "is it possible that this could directly cause a failure of a part that wouldn't have failed othewise?" and you should be good.

Old 09-09-2007, 01:11 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Yeah warranties scare me, I have had bad experiences with them in the past so I am trying to do my research on not ruining the Honda one

My goal is to try and get maybe 20% more power out of the stock engine... I have been kind of basing my mods around this artical ( Honda Fit Power Pages - Import Tuner Magazine ) between the intake, crank-pulley & exhuast they pull a pretty easy 11%, any idea's on pulling an additional 9% without forced induction or internal engine work? I wonder, will a P&P void the engine warrenty?

Old 09-09-2007, 01:27 PM
5 Year Member
how the heck can just changing the crank pulley add up to 4 hp at the top end?