Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Fujita intake

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 09:21 PM
Unhappy Fujita intake

I installed a Fujita CAI this morning. My previous car was a VW 1.8t, so I'm used to a raspy sounding intake (turbo), but this thing sounds like crap. It's good at low RPMs but at just over 3k (I'm assuming it's when the vtec engages) it gets really loud and it sounds a lot like a cheap fart can exhaust. I think the main problem is that the fender/bumber area where the filter sits is acting like a big resonator.
On the + side, my butt-dyno noticed a definate improvement and the install was very simple.
I drove it for 2 hours and switched back to the stock unit. Now I'm debating on what to do next. I may scavenge some parts from the Fujita to make a home brew...

Old 06-10-2007, 09:29 PM
5 Year Member
vtec engages at 6k and thats a honda for you... gl on improving the sound, post it up when you find something different

Old 06-10-2007, 09:35 PM
I'm thinking something like this: Modshack | Stage 1 VTDA
I had one of his intakes for my 1.8t and it was great.

Old 06-10-2007, 11:03 PM
Originally Posted by George02
vtec engages at 6k and thats a honda for you... gl on improving the sound, post it up when you find something different
the L15 doesnt not engage vtec at 6k rpm.....its more around 3.5k~4k theres plenty of threads covering this already too.....as well as the Asia T.O.V. write up on the L15.

GD3 Honda Fit Jazz VTEC Full Review
^4th paragraph down....
The Truly Amazing Honda Fit/Jazz
^whole article just on the L15A

sortanewinatl....yes around 3k (a lil above it) is when vtec changes over.

Last edited by milano sol; 06-10-2007 at 11:09 PM.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:46 PM
5 Year Member
oh wow... thx for the info!!! didnt kno that??? honda usally puts engagement at 6k!! no wonder when i set vtec at 4800rpms it really kicked!

Old 06-11-2007, 12:47 AM
vtec is 5700 on type r engines because they redline at 8400. no point in setting it at 6000 if the engine redlines 500rpm later.

Old 06-11-2007, 01:20 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by RyanR
vtec is 5700 on type r engines because they redline at 8400. no point in setting it at 6000 if the engine redlines 500rpm later.

yea I thought that was stupid, but didnt think much of it.... and not only on type r engines

Old 06-11-2007, 02:14 AM
well type r and b16 is 5700. gsr is 4400. secondary butterflies at 5700.

Old 06-11-2007, 06:06 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sortanewinatl
I installed a Fujita CAI this morning. My previous car was a VW 1.8t, so I'm used to a raspy sounding intake (turbo), but this thing sounds like crap. It's good at low RPMs but at just over 3k (I'm assuming it's when the vtec engages) it gets really loud and it sounds a lot like a cheap fart can exhaust. I think the main problem is that the fender/bumber area where the filter sits is acting like a big resonator.
On the + side, my butt-dyno noticed a definate improvement and the install was very simple.
I drove it for 2 hours and switched back to the stock unit. Now I'm debating on what to do next. I may scavenge some parts from the Fujita to make a home brew...
Hmmmmm, I have one of these units on the way. Have you tried using a small peice of insulation tape on whatever spot(s) are touching to try to dampen the noise?

Old 06-11-2007, 09:19 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Your intake was raspy on your 1.8T? Im sorry, that turbo must have been on its way out.....
My intake on my Mx6 (3-3.5in pipe with no filter) makes loud hissing noises mixed with a deep growl. Just like it should since the turbo is spooling on the other end.

The intake on the Fit sounds like it should. Its a tiny SOHC motor. So it should sound like that. Should make a buzzing/higher pitched growl. Its not sucking in much air.

Old 06-12-2007, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by Mx6GT89
Your intake was raspy on your 1.8T? Im sorry, that turbo must have been on its way out.....
My intake on my Mx6 (3-3.5in pipe with no filter) makes loud hissing noises mixed with a deep growl. Just like it should since the turbo is spooling on the other end.

The intake on the Fit sounds like it should. Its a tiny SOHC motor. So it should sound like that. Should make a buzzing/higher pitched growl. Its not sucking in much air.
nah... turbo engines always have raspy sounding intakes (and VW's tend to have noisy valve trains too)... a turbo w/ a bad bearing makes more of a whiney noise...

Yea, it sounded just like I expected it too at low RPM, but when it wound up a bit, it literally sounded like a cheap exhaust... not an intake. I think it's resonance in the fender, not the intake itself.
It wasn't terrible... if you have an exhaust on anyway, it probably wouldn't be noticed.
A (small) part of the reason I got rid of the VW was the noise (which was my own fault) so I can't justify doing the same thing with this car... I could have just kept the VW.

Last edited by sortanewinatl; 06-12-2007 at 01:34 PM.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
Hmmmmm, I have one of these units on the way. Have you tried using a small peice of insulation tape on whatever spot(s) are touching to try to dampen the noise?
I did not. I'm gona play with it some this weekend, but I don't think it will help. I think I have to get the end of the intake out of the fender well to make it sound nice.

Old 06-12-2007, 06:34 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Let me know how you make out.

I am probably going to install mine next week sometime. I think if I have the same kind of problem I will most likley look into doing some spray in sound deadening in around the filter area.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 06-12-2007 at 11:32 PM. Reason: UPDATE
Old 06-12-2007, 06:37 PM
5 Year Member
I also owned a Golf 1.8T before the Fit, I had a 3" Carbonino intake, and that thing was awesome!

I have tried the Fujita and the Aspec CAI, and the sound of the Aspec is SOOoooo much better! I wouldn't call that sound cheap in anyway. But for power gain wise, the Fujita was better hands down. OH... one more good thing about Aspec... the ease of install! Its the easiest CAI I've ever installed!

Old 06-13-2007, 12:00 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Wow, you must have been torn between them
So what did you end up going with if you don't mind me asking?

Old 06-13-2007, 01:13 AM
5 Year Member
I ended up with the Aspec, just cause I dont have to use profanity to get the damn intake into the car (it was a b!tch to install the Fujita for me) but the Aspec went in so smoothly.

Although the Aspec doesn't have the gain like the Fujita... the sound is wonderful. And for the Fit, either way, its going to be one slow car, so I'll take the sweeter sound.

Old 06-13-2007, 08:39 AM
The Fujita is the only thing i've tried on the Fit. The power was great... much better than I expected from just an intake. I tried a lot of intakes on the GTI and none of them made that kind of difference... they probably did, but you don't notice an extra 5 HP when you already have 275...

I just didn't like the sound at all. I wouldn't mind a loud "whoosh" or "hiss", but it just sounded like crap.

Also, installing wasn't bad, but it would make cleaning the filter a real hastle... you would have to pull the fender liner out to get to the filter (or take the bumper off)

Old 06-13-2007, 10:32 AM
5 Year Member
I find intakes on turbo cars doesn't really do much other than sound. At least on the 1.8T's.

For me, the Fujita didn't fit well at all. The holes / angles didn't line up very well...

Old 06-23-2007, 10:59 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Just an update:

I installed my Fujita intake this morning; the install went ok... but with a few notable hic-ups.

First, I was caught off guard by how much coolant spewed out of the engine when I was running the new bypass hose. Sure, Sure, for guys who work on Honda engines all day long this must seem like a pretty obvious oversight, but whatever this is my first Honda and I had no idea that much fluid would come out. I have done my fair share of intake installs on other cars/trucks and this is the first that resulted in a puddle of coolant on the floor.

Secondly, as I was finishing the install and placing the air-temp sensor into the rubber gromit... the gromit pushed into the intake pipe . Arrggg!! So I had to disassemble the entire thing to get the gromit out. Was very careful the second time around

The fit of the Fujita was pretty good, it took some patience to feed everything into place, had to cut the blow-by hose about an inch so it wouldn't kink, also had to loosen up the battery to make some extra space when installing. At the end everything fit like a glove, I was pretty happy with this kit! I also like the fact that the whole intake is chrome, looks really nice in the bay.

Here are a few pics,

Yeah, Yeah, I know... dirty engine!

As far as sound goes, mine sounds fantastic. It isn't noticable until about 4000rpm, then a big deep engine roar comes out of it. lol, it almost sounds out of place coming from the Fit! I like it a lot and you can feel that little bit of extra punch when you drop the hammer. I had a few freinds check it out today, after hearing it everyone agrees the sound is great.

Anyway, take what you want from this. I haven't tested or heard how the A-spec sounds so I can't really make a comparison. I was worried mine would sound like a cheap fart can too, so I am breathing a sigh of relief! Overall I am really happy with how the Fujita turned out for me.

Cheers!

EDIT: I was poking around Fujita's web site and they have a sound clip & Dyno of the intake as well.... lol, 8-bit sound just dosn't do it justice
http://www.f5air.com/sound/FIT.mov
http://www.f5air.com/images/dyno/ca1924.gif

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 06-24-2007 at 01:48 PM.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:05 PM
Question

So, I've been thinking...
The Fit has no MAF, only an IAT. So the ECU must be making assumptions about airflow (mass) based on temperature and throttle position. If we imrpove the intake so that we are getting more air into the engine, the ECU will never know... it's still making the same assumptions that were probably calibrated for the stock intake. So, it will not adjust the injector cycle to match the improved airflow. Where do we get any power gains from that? It seems like all we are realling doing is causing it to run lean... which can be really bad if it goes too far.

I'm not bashing intakes... i'm looking for an answer... there may be (probably is) something that I'm overlooking.

Quick Reply: Fujita intake