Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Black smoke???

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 11:59 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Black smoke???

What's with the black poof of smoke comin out of the exhuast when you rev up the engine??? Is this a sign of the engine running on the rich side? Or is it just normal???

Old 04-29-2007, 12:09 PM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
too rich. What have you done to your car?

Old 04-29-2007, 12:32 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by TomiGunz
What's with the black poof of smoke comin out of the exhuast when you rev up the engine??? Is this a sign of the engine running on the rich side? Or is it just normal???
Toy Yoda's got it. Black smoke= unburned fuel, blue smoke = oil burning, white smoke= water in exhaust, like from leaking head gasket/warped head.

Old 04-29-2007, 05:26 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Its normal. I think it has to do with the drive by wire.

I can actually get my Fit to bog on fuel when revving. If I rev up the RPMs and then quickly rev it again before it reaches idle about 2-3 times the 3rd time it will barely rev. You can hear and smell the fuel. Its done it since I bought it. *shrugs*

Old 04-29-2007, 08:50 PM
Maybe a blown piston ring possibly.
Have the dealership check it out for ya.

Old 04-29-2007, 10:28 PM
the cars new! shouldnt be smoking of any kind unless you running intake, headers, exhaust and a CAT delete pipe. only way i could think your gettign smoke. if not then it may be a bad thing.

Old 04-29-2007, 11:30 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
I don't think it's a bad thing. I thought it might be running a little rich.

The only thing I've done is Intake, and Axle back.

but a friend of mine says his car (not a honda) does it too..

I highly doubt its a blown ring. I know how a car is when it has a blown ring.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:53 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Cars smoke no matter what. Black, blue, white.... They all do it.
My Fit smokes white when its humid out, or if its cold out as should most cars; not all.

My Mx6 has 180,000miles on the original head (block has 50-60,000 original)
It only smokes blue/black mix when I boost. Thats normal since Im running 18psi (which isnt enough to me) on a 50trim and I get some blow by. Smokes black also because Im running a good amount of fuel for safety.

Ive seen my Fit puff blue smoke at times. I did do a hard break in. That might have a little to do with it but Im not worried. These motors will last with regular maintenance.

Im running a CAI, cat-delete, and axle-back. Ill tell you that when I come to stop lights with my windows down the Fits exhaust SMELLS! Unburt fuel that is.

If the car is puffing a certain color constantly; then be worried. Even if its black.

Old 04-30-2007, 03:10 PM
Key word was "possibly" as is possible sensor or as in possibly running rich at the least end of things.
Wasn't looking to step on man toes or have my rep points deleted with a un named comment attached.
Was just looking to help. Guess this wasn't really a question.
Thanks for you hospitality Texas.

No further response.

Last edited by Lilbigwheelz; 04-30-2007 at 06:49 PM.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:17 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by Lilbigwheelz
Key word was "possibly" as is possible sensor or as in possibly running rich at the least end of things.
Wasn't looking to step on man toes or have my rep points deleted with a un named comment attached.
Was just looking to help. Guess this wasn't really a question.
Thanks for you hospitality Texas.

No further response.

huh???

anyway.. I forgot to mention that it's just a very small poof of smoke. It only blasts out of the muffler when you step on the pedal. I guess the first few hundred RPMs it blows the black smoke out. The rest of the rpm, it's clean. I do smell fuel too when my window is down. So it's normal.

so this thread might help someone if they have the same question..

=)

Old 05-01-2007, 03:13 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
I didnt take anyones Rep Points. I dont know how, I dont even know how to add them.

Old 05-01-2007, 11:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TomiGunz
huh???

anyway.. I forgot to mention that it's just a very small poof of smoke. It only blasts out of the muffler when you step on the pedal. I guess the first few hundred RPMs it blows the black smoke out. The rest of the rpm, it's clean. I do smell fuel too when my window is down. So it's normal.

so this thread might help someone if they have the same question..

=)
If you smell fuel when the window is down, and you get black smoke upon rapid acceleration you are running too rich. While this won't damage the engine like running too lean will, it will negatively impact your gas mileage. Manufacturers generally tune stock cars to run a little rich for safety reasons (to prevent detonation), I have never known one to run so rich that you could smell unburned fuel in the exhaust. Certain headers will change the AFR to run either richer or leaner than stock. This has been well documented in the RSX community. I have not heard that much about it in the Fit community yet. Which header are you running, out of curiosity?

Old 05-02-2007, 12:45 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
No headers. Someone else mentioned they can smell fuel with their windows down too.. So I'm not the only one...

Is there a way we can manually adjust the fuel mixture?