Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

still confused???

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 08:51 PM
still confused???

OK, as some of you may know, I have AT Sport. I am looking at forced induction for my Fit. Disclaimer: I am not a BIG gearhead... i have asked several questions pertaining to this topic, but have not really got any definative answers. so I will list my questions and hopefully some wonderful members who are up to the task will help me answer these....

1. why does Jackson Racing only offer the 5lb. SC kit for us AT owners?
2. Is it because of AT strength of possible slipping during heavy boosting?
3. will the T1R turbo work instead?
4. If there were aftermarket AT upgrades available, would that let me be able to use the 10lb. Sc kit/ or the T1R turbo( I ask b/c they both have similar hp gains)
5. which AT parts would need to be upgraded?
6. would I need to beef up the internals to still have a RELIABLE daily driver?
7. Which internal parts specifically?
8. If all ends well, if 10lb. SC/ or T1r turbo are attainable, will I be able to add nitrous?
8.a. will the Zex kit interfere with turbo programming and such?
9. last question for now... what about that front axle---will stock handle all of this extra hp/ tq?
I'm sorry for all of the questions, but its really frustrating reading posts about putting in his/her own nitrous kit, or SC, or turbos, and I have NO frickin' idea where to start. Hopefully answers to these questions will get me in the right direction as to where I should start and save some money
P.S. I'm looking for around 175-200ish whp. My estimates would give me around low 14's-high 13's at my local track. But hopefully still be able to drive cross-country if I choose?!?!

Old 03-20-2007, 10:12 PM
5 Year Member
I can't answer all of the questions, but heres my opinion..

The reason why JR SC only offer 5lb kit for the AT Fit's is probably due to the amount of power the AT can handle. With that being said, you can still get 175-200ish WHP, but the reliability goes doowwwnnnnnn.

My suggestion? Trade your Fit for a manual one

Old 03-21-2007, 09:47 AM
5 Year Member
K20A - R Swap from Japan will give you the WHP you are looking for 175-200, and you will have a reliable motor for cross country.

One problem, you will have to switch out all of the components that are A/T to M/T components, the K20A with A/T doesn't fit in the Fit.

That's the best solution!

Old 03-21-2007, 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by LiL Wee FIT
I can't answer all of the questions, but heres my opinion..

The reason why JR SC only offer 5lb kit for the AT Fit's is probably due to the amount of power the AT can handle. With that being said, you can still get 175-200ish WHP, but the reliability goes doowwwnnnnnn.

My suggestion? Trade your Fit for a manual one

Either reliabillty goes down, or price goes uppppppppp. You can build a very reliable 200 hp engine if you're really willing to pay for it. You can still break a very reliable engine if you mess up the tuning or do something stupid with nitrous, etc.

Old 03-24-2007, 01:52 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
1. why does Jackson Racing only offer the 5lb. SC kit for us AT owners?
2. Is it because of AT strength of possible slipping during heavy boosting?
3. will the T1R turbo work instead?
S/C's power curve is less stressful to the trans vs. a turbo. A turbo will give a ton of torque in one big burst. The stock AT will not be able to know how to deal with such torque, so it slips or delays shifting until that load is gone and back to programmed "shift conditions". There is more to the auto trans than just the trans itself, its the ECU's set parameters of when/how to shift under XX and XX conditions.Now with a supercharger, its not as much torque produced going into a shift, so it will shift a lot smoother. 5psi from a supercharger is not the same 5psi from a turbo, nor will they yield the same power/psi. When you tune, you cant change the shifting parameters of the auto ecu, unless a specific trans controller is made. (ie. TRD's supercharger for the Scion tC, has a piggyback trans controller.)

4. If there were aftermarket AT upgrades available, would that let me be able to use the 10lb. Sc kit/ or the T1R turbo( I ask b/c they both have similar hp gains)
5. which AT parts would need to be upgraded?
6. would I need to beef up the internals to still have a RELIABLE daily driver?
7. Which internal parts specifically?
tranny upgrades are not cheap nor easy to do. Honda trannies are becoming more compact, making the upgradeable parts harder to reach. The most common AT upgrade is the torque convertor, the clutch and workhorse of the auto trans. Any tranny work requires you to drop the tranny and be ready for some down time. Another upgrade is a valve body upgrade. The auto tranny is not run solely by mechanical parts, it runs on fluidity. So upgrades mainly consist of changing how these fluids are channeled, making shifts firmer and quicker, but sometimes too firm for your daily driver.

again, be ready to fork out a substantial amount of cash if u're serious on trying to build it.

even IF you do get upgrades, the ecu is still not programmed to utilize such modifications. it will still shift funny, but better than before and the trans can take the abuse.

8. If all ends well, if 10lb. SC/ or T1r turbo are attainable, will I be able to add nitrous?
8.a. will the Zex kit interfere with turbo programming and such?
9. last question for now... what about that front axle---will stock handle all of this extra hp/ tq?
there is no need for nitrous if u're using turbo. you can turn up the boost on the turbo, its much safer than adding another mod that lowers the safety margin. as for superchargers, you could, but everything is dependant on HOW you are getting the engine/ecu tuned.

without a proper EMS, you wont be able to spray nitrous on the fly with a dry shot. You'd have to use a wet shot, but its much more work than needed along with another boosted setup.

All of your questions rely on what kind of EMS you are going to use and what is available.

I'm sorry for all of the questions, but its really frustrating reading posts about putting in his/her own nitrous kit, or SC, or turbos, and I have NO frickin' idea where to start. Hopefully answers to these questions will get me in the right direction as to where I should start and save some money
P.S. I'm looking for around 175-200ish whp. My estimates would give me around low 14's-high 13's at my local track. But hopefully still be able to drive cross-country if I choose?!?!
this is were you have to start being realistic. why did you buy an auto Fit if you wanted to attain such goals? why not just buy a faster car or an easier platform to mod with? But i dont think u'll need much HP to hit 13's/14's anyways, but start gutting out your car.

Old 03-24-2007, 01:57 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by gettinafit
K20A - R Swap from Japan will give you the WHP you are looking for 175-200, and you will have a reliable motor for cross country.

One problem, you will have to switch out all of the components that are A/T to M/T components, the K20A with A/T doesn't fit in the Fit.

That's the best solution!
most think the K20A Type-R motor is the best motor to go with, but its a common misconception, but a USDM K20A2 (type-s), K20Z1 (05/06 type-s), or K20Z3 (06 civic Si) can all easily outperform the K20A-R, and at a cheaper price than the R motor too.

Then there are your k24 motors as well.

Old 03-24-2007, 05:26 PM
its OK to dream isn't it! The reason i went with a Fit is---
1. super cheap $$$
2. there is only about 3 riding around in my area ( so people still stare)
3. if money were NO object in my house, then I WOULD be modding an S2000
4. its' my first Honda hatch

As far as me throwing up whp #'s, I have no clue if I could afford to reach that kind of power, but I've looked up similar cars that posted their timeslips( particularly a Scion Xa with SC and 35 shot of nitrous with a 14.06 run. Granted it was a manual. Also saw a chevy Aveo with turbo 12psi and 50 shot with a 12.5 run. I'm not looking for anything that fast....
Besides, its fun modding isn't it???

Old 03-24-2007, 05:30 PM
And IMO, although nothing is out YET, i'm sure in time maybe a trans controller or whatever you mentioned will be available. At least i'm crossing my fingers Oh, and thank you very much for the answers. Ever since I've been a member i've read all of your posts! Keep up the good work. I dont care what CLAYMORE says about you!
P.S. I think it's a little to premature to throw in the towel on the Fit...

Last edited by gn-it&rn-it; 03-24-2007 at 05:41 PM.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:28 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
we had gotten the auto Fit for the same reasons as you (too bad tis gone )

dont get me the wrong way, nothing is wrong modding the Fit. Its just the way you put it, you seem like you're going to be dumping a lot of money into a platform that has little things out so far. with all the things you listed, i had to tell you to put the brakes on and rethink about what you're planning.

in due time, there will be lots of toys to choose from , so no one can really answer your questions with 100% certainty when no one has really tested these turbo kits and supercharger setups besides the makers themselves.

in the meantime, you can upgrade things that reinforce your car's future power. Brakes (pads alone works wonders), tires (all around performance braking, acceleration, handling, etc), suspension, etc. Happy modding!

Old 03-25-2007, 01:08 AM
cool, and thats what I planned on doing so far anyways. I want to do bits and peices at a time for now. Im thinking at least a year or two before I would even be able to afford FI and everything else I would have to do so my ride will handle it ( I got a house to build for someone first so I can pay off credit card debt---then I need a new truck to replace my worn out work truck---then I can REALLY dump some money into the Fit. IMO, its never to early to ask about these things now. And for the record, my list of questions has been answered... peace bro

Old 03-27-2007, 02:54 PM
Originally Posted by 03DSM-RSX
When you tune, you cant change the shifting parameters of the auto ecu, unless a specific trans controller is made. (ie. TRD's supercharger for the Scion tC, has a piggyback trans controller.)

even IF you do get upgrades, the ecu is still not programmed to utilize such modifications. it will still shift funny, but better than before and the trans can take the abuse.

I think I found one that will work. Not that it matters much, as I said, this heavy modding will be WAY down the road....anyways.

Powertrain Controller Systems AT controller

Old 03-28-2007, 10:27 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
too bad its not Honda-compatible. if it did, i would've tried it a long time ago

Old 03-28-2007, 10:57 AM
true but on the site they also say....

How to develop a new transmission application:

Powertrain Control Solutions is very interested in developing new transmission applications. To support a new transmission, Powertrain Control Solutions needs to obtain wiring harness information and the shift logic for your transmission (which can usually be found in the factory service manual for your transmission). If you are interested in working with Powertrain Control Solutions to accommodate a transmission not currently supported, please call or email us at sales@powertraincontrolsolutions.com.

Old 03-31-2007, 05:28 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by gn-it&rn-it
true but on the site they also say....
hmm...interesting...i have the such diagrams and system descriptions. but it'll be some extensive custom work for sure...i wonder how much they'll charge...

Old 04-11-2007, 12:26 PM
There's an old saying and I'm not trying to be an ass, but if you think about it, there's a lot of truth behind it.

Fast. Inexpensive. Reliable. Pick 2