Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

K20 with air conditioning/automatic

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 12:27 AM
K20 with air conditioning/automatic

Is it possible to do a K20 swap and still have air conditioning? Also, can you do the swap with the automatic transmission? Thanks.

Old 02-19-2007, 01:17 AM
5 Year Member
Swaping the automatic shouldnt be to hard, the only problem id realy see besides wiring, would be honda typicaly uses a different motor mount for Auto's and Manuals, so you might have to Modify or Custom make the transmission mount, other than that it should be as eazy as finding a cable that fits, and wiring up the TCM.

I have no idea about the A/C

Old 02-19-2007, 02:31 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
the RSX automatic uses a different multiplexor system than the Fit's.

Your a/c MIGHT work if wired up correctly, but your gauges, sportshift/paddle shifters, will not work without major modifications to wiring.

Dealing with the wiring aspect of this swap will be VERY tedious and not worth the time. As electrical problems are hard to diagnose and pinpoint. Also, the size of the automatic trans may cause clearance issues.

Old 02-19-2007, 01:00 PM
Thanks, guys. I may end up buying a used manual tranny to build up with a K20 swap then.

Old 02-19-2007, 05:33 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
are you planning to boost the k20 or n/a?

if boost, try to get ahold of the 5spd base rsx. it holds boost a lot better than the 6spd type-s trans. many boosted S owners are swapping to 5spd setups.

otherwise, n/a, get 6spd.

Old 02-19-2007, 08:11 PM
If I go with the two vehicles, I might as well boost the k20. Pretty far off, though. Just made my second payment on this one...

Old 02-20-2007, 02:06 PM
So what about the a/c? Could you do a k20 swap and still retain a/c. This would be the only reason I would not do the swap. Gotta have a/c for the wife and kid, me I really wouldn't care but they would!

Old 02-20-2007, 02:35 PM
Originally Posted by 03DSM-RSX
the RSX automatic uses a different multiplexor system than the Fit's.

Your a/c MIGHT work if wired up correctly, but your gauges, sportshift/paddle shifters, will not work without major modifications to wiring.

Dealing with the wiring aspect of this swap will be VERY tedious and not worth the time. As electrical problems are hard to diagnose and pinpoint. Also, the size of the automatic trans may cause clearance issues.
From what has been posted so far, the wiring is going to be shared by both ecus coexisting together so we can keep the guages. Sounds easier but more expensive.

Old 02-20-2007, 06:01 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by jits14
From what has been posted so far, the wiring is going to be shared by both ecus coexisting together so we can keep the guages. Sounds easier but more expensive.
i currently run a dual ecu setup on my automatic ecu. i'm Hondata's test dummy for R&D with dual ecu setups. And let me tell you, its not easy in this case b/c we're talking about retaining the automatic transmission here.

Manual K20 ecu's have the ability to get Hondata Kpro, which makes all the tuning easy. The automatic ecu does not have Kpro, but the auto ecu is necessary to run the auto trans. If you REALLY wanted it to work, you would have to do a TRIPLE ecu setup.

Fit ecu for A/C and multiplexor controls
Manual K20 ecu for Kpro
Auto k20 ecu for trans control

and imagine the amount of work wiring and harness fabrication needed to run all 3 ecus and splitting the signals evenly!!

Old 02-20-2007, 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by CPTate
Is it possible to do a K20 swap and still have air conditioning? Also, can you do the swap with the automatic transmission? Thanks.
Why would you swap a K20 with an auto trans what a waste of time and money

Old 02-20-2007, 10:17 PM
5 Year Member
Because not everybody who will have to drive the car can drive stick maybe, maybe he wants to keep it more daily driver but give it more power, who knows what his reasoning is, if he wants to do it he will or wont.

Autos will hold alot more power than Manuals most of the time. Supra guys convert to Auto all the time, with a big single you can usualy lose 1second off your 1/4mile by swaping AT.

Its all about what the driver wants so give him a break.

Old 02-21-2007, 01:19 AM
Originally Posted by outlawhonda
Why would you swap a K20 with an auto trans what a waste of time and money
I just switched to an auto Fit from a 6-speed Matrix XRS because of a torn ACL and Meniscus in my left (clutch) leg. I much prefer the stick, but cannot drive one much. That is why I would be okay having one for my "project" car, but not as my driver. The paddle shifters are actually one of the reasons I chose the Fit, trying to still have some of the fun of shifting manually.

Old 02-21-2007, 11:07 AM
5 Year Member
Yes its possible buddy! I am in the process in finishing my swap already. The mounts were the hardest parts to get a hold of. So we had to custom fabricate all the mounts. I bought the whole auto e-shifting RSX car from a auction for 3800. The transmission wouldn't fit side to side. So we had to cut and then reinforce the frame. The ac still works, all we are working on now to work now is the shift paddles. Was going to go manuel to begin with, but wanted something unique that everyone said wasn't possible and I have never seen done before to any honda, especially a brand new FIT. If u need help let me know and I will give u the shops number if you are serious in swapping a k-20 or email me at isis.sarni@us.army.mil . The best tuner shop that is doing my swap right now is C&C autotuners in La Habra, Ca. They have swapped a 2gz-gte into my lexus sc400 and a 2000 mercedes E-320. They are great in almost doing anything to any car if u have the funds to do it.

Old 02-21-2007, 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by 213SAPPER
Yes its possible buddy! I am in the process in finishing my swap already. The mounts were the hardest parts to get a hold of. So we had to custom fabricate all the mounts. I bought the whole auto e-shifting RSX car from a auction for 3800. The transmission wouldn't fit side to side. So we had to cut and then reinforce the frame. The ac still works, all we are working on now to work now is the shift paddles. Was going to go manuel to begin with, but wanted something unique that everyone said wasn't possible and I have never seen done before to any honda, especially a brand new FIT. If u need help let me know and I will give u the shops number if you are serious in swapping a k-20 or email me at isis.sarni@us.army.mil . The best tuner shop that is doing my swap right now is C&C autotuners in La Habra, Ca. They have swapped a 2gz-gte into my lexus sc400 and a 2000 mercedes E-320. They are great in almost doing anything to any car if u have the funds to do it.
You have to keep us posted on your build. I think what you are doing is a beautiful thing. Not many people like a challenge. Most people just wait till someone else does something and then parts come out to make things easy. Lots of people just copy one another. But, what your doing is going to be unique. So basiclly you are swaping in a K20 with a working a/c and working auto trans that will utilize the paddle shifters? Is the engine NA or going to be boosted? You must post pics of the finished product. Good luck with the build.

Old 02-21-2007, 07:47 PM
k20 auto build

One more thing I forgot to ask. How much is this swap going to run you after all said and done. Just curious so I can start saving know for my K20 engine and trans. I'm just happy to hear that you can swap a k20 into the fit and still utilize tha a/c. Unlike you though I think I want to go manual trans just because I miss it. But there is nothing wrong with the auto trans with the paddles. I have them on my fit and I love it. I just think going manual for the swap would be just a little more affordable if your on a budget.

Old 02-21-2007, 10:30 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by 213SAPPER
props to your shop for accomplishing it. any pics? i'm interested in how the wiring is done.

Old 02-22-2007, 01:08 AM
June 2007 1st Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
i would never go this route, but its fun to watch someone else do it

Old 02-22-2007, 03:30 AM
Originally Posted by Deivioncrx
Autos will hold alot more power than Manuals most of the time. Supra guys convert to Auto all the time, with a big single you can usualy lose 1second off your 1/4mile by swaping AT.

Its all about what the driver wants so give him a break.
um im pretty sure the only reason it's true for a supra is cuz you dont have to lift to shift in an auto so boost stays on, but on any other car, even boosted (running at reasonable levels) a manual should be quicker

Old 02-22-2007, 06:01 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
^true, only CERTAIN automatic trans can hold that kind of power/torque. Supras' trans were built to hold that kind of power, so no issues there. Fits and other regular Honda trannies arent built for that kind of abuse. Although Honda has started to use dual clutch technology in the Acura RDX/RL. So this technology will eventually be passed down to the lower Acura/Hondas.

Now if you're talking about DSG/SMG type trans offered by BMW/VW/Audi/etc, those DO shift and perform better than the manual counterparts. Mitsubishi is actually going to use a 6-spd automatic DSG style transmission in their Evo X as the standard. The manual option will be released after.

Old 02-22-2007, 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by Deivioncrx
The reason Supra are able to run fast with an auto tranny, they have to thank the domestic guys for that one. Honda auto transmission are crap period. If you don't know what I'm talking about, do some research. Do you see any 800hp K20 running around on an A/T?

Quick Reply: K20 with air conditioning/automatic