Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 11:53 PM
Warranty

How do dealerships deal with Fits with aftermarket parts? If I put a fujita short ram intake and burnt tip muffler and take my car to the dealer, because they gave me free oil changes for one year, will they say the mods void warranty?

Any comments about this...experiences.

Old 02-05-2007, 09:52 PM
5 Year Member
The short answer is the Magnuson-Moss Act. Follow the link for more info on it: Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Basically, the Magnuson-Moss Act says that in a dealership can't deny warranty service unless the dealership can demonstrate that the aftermarket parts are causing the problem you've reported. For example, an intake won't cause wheel bearing problems, so the dealership should honor the warranty and replace faulty wheel bearings even if you have an aftermarket intake.

Also, dealerships can't use aftermarket parts as a reason to nullify the warranty for the entire car. People occasionally post about dealerships claiming a warranty is no longer valid, but that's not usually correct. Dealerships can attempt to deny specific warranty claims or service, but they can't normally say a car no longer has a warranty at all.

This becomes less clear when aftermarket parts may have caused a problem. For example, you're running a nitrous kit and your engine starts burning more oil. Blaming the nitrous kit for piston ring damage is reasonable, and the dealership would likely deny that claim.

Your aftermarket parts should not affect an agreement for free oil changes unless there's a specific statement saying the agreement is void if you install non-factory parts. In fact, the oil change agreement is probably not part of your warranty at all. It's likely just something you agreed on with the dealer when you bought the car.

Last edited by yobtah; 02-05-2007 at 09:54 PM.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:06 PM
5 Year Member
I have a short ram/aspec muffler/mugen visors and stickers on the car and have been to the dealership many times they even insatalled a magnetic drainplug for me and have never even mention warranty in any way.The parts guy even recomended to go to fitfreaks for aftermarket parts.

Old 02-05-2007, 11:45 PM
You guys are the best. That's all I needed to know. Now I can feel okay when I go into the dealership and have work done to my whip, or I'll just change the oil myself.