Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Defective Header? *Read my rant*

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 02:20 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Ill give an update later today. Im talking to them now.

Old 02-06-2007, 03:09 PM
5 Year Member
Megan just sent me another header, and I checked it...it was great...installed it yesterday and am very pleased.

Just my .02, but I still cant see paying $400+ for a Mugen/Spoon header... because if you are saying the only realy problem is the welding, then youre paying an extra $200-$300 just for a better weld job? You could get a Megan Header and have someone weld it personally for less than that...Especially on a car with only 90whp. I know Mugen/Spoon are great quality, but its not worth that...not for a Fit anyway.

Old 02-06-2007, 03:40 PM
So what do you think about the new header? You didnt have to weld it or anything? How does it sound? And how does it affect your car power wise?

Old 02-06-2007, 05:20 PM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Harry_Fit
So what do you think about the new header? You didnt have to weld it or anything? How does it sound? And how does it affect your car power wise?
with my AT Fit SPort, the only other mod i've got is the T1R CF Intake and the Header provided a better throttle response from min to high range RPM. I find that the car picks up faster when i'm overtaking at city speeds. To be totally honest, I'm extremely happy with my Megan header (except for the fact that i had to personally weld the O2 bung). i know that the T1R, J's racing, Mugen and/or Spoon wil be better, but for my budget, Megan racing is good

Old 02-06-2007, 06:46 PM
5 Year Member
I have Weapon SRI, Megan Street Header, T1R Test pipe, and SKunk2 cat-back...and the thing hauls (well compared to a stock Fit), it even has a slight rumble to the exhaust kinda like a bolted S2000. I had a chance to go head to head against my friends 95 240sx with just an intake last night and it was dead even. So figure a RWD 155hp car weighing 2800lbs vs. FWD 109hp car weighing 2400lbs...

Last edited by 07TaffetaFit; 02-06-2007 at 06:51 PM.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:43 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Ok... All in all I guess Im pleased.

I talked to Albert for a while online today on my lunch break. The reason why I could not get my money back is because the header was installed on my car and the problem is due to a defect. Makes sense. If it wasnt installed and I wanted my money back due to overall quality then he would have done it.

So we agreed that Megan was going to send me a new header with a prepaid sticker for me to ship back the old header.
Im basically getting a new header. Yay!

Today I removed the header and put the OEM manifold back on along with my T1R cat delete. OHH MY does my car sound sexy! Has a Honda tone but it sounds like an Evo with a tubi mani. I LOVE!

Ohh... I did the water test on my header. One shake and almost all the water leaked out of the 4-1 collector. Horrible.

The new header Im going to test before its installed. I then want to port the area where the flange meets the 4 pipes (against the header) since they are rough IMO. Smooth them out a bit. I want to wrap the header also.

Old 02-06-2007, 11:33 PM
Originally Posted by Mx6GT89
I want to wrap the header also.

Just a word of caution on this...especially if weld issues have been known about. These wraps really up the heat contained in the header, and could lead to other problems like cracking welds. Other issues can occur with these as well, so consider the 'gain' and contrast with the potential 'gain'. Most folks suggest just getting a better hi-temp coating applied instead of wrapping.

Old 02-06-2007, 11:38 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
The reason why I could not get my money back is because the header was installed on my car and the problem is due to a defect.
sorry. but what a complete joke IMO. are you supposed to have magnifying glass vision? How are you supposed to see there are weld defects? In order to find the defects, you pretty much had to install the header. That would be like me telling a customer "nope, can't give you a refund on your out of round wheel because you put a tire on it." 2 thumbs down for moda car's customer service. And same goes for Megan if they force this policy on their vendors.

But heh, you do get what you pay for. And it all comes at a price

Old 02-07-2007, 09:59 AM
5 Year Member
Ok... All in all I guess Im pleased.

I talked to Albert for a while online today on my lunch break. The reason why I could not get my money back is because the header was installed on my car and the problem is due to a defect. Makes sense. If it wasnt installed and I wanted my money back due to overall quality then he would have done it.

So we agreed that Megan was going to send me a new header with a prepaid sticker for me to ship back the old header. Im basically getting a new header. Yay!

Today I removed the header and put the OEM manifold back on along with my T1R cat delete. OHH MY does my car sound sexy! Has a Honda tone but it sounds like an Evo with a tubi mani. I LOVE!

Ohh... I did the water test on my header. One shake and almost all the water leaked out of the 4-1 collector. Horrible.

The new header Im going to test before its installed. I then want to port the area where the flange meets the 4 pipes (against the header) since they are rough IMO. Smooth them out a bit. I want to wrap the header also.
What exhaust do you have? Like I was saying previously, with the T1R test pipe, header, and cat-back it sounds awesome...just really loud!

Old 02-07-2007, 12:02 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Just a word of caution on this...especially if weld issues have been known about. These wraps really up the heat contained in the header, and could lead to other problems like cracking welds. Other issues can occur with these as well, so consider the 'gain' and contrast with the potential 'gain'. Most folks suggest just getting a better hi-temp coating applied instead of wrapping.
Yes Im aware. Im sure its going to crack later on down the road. I might just speed up the process. Im sure this header is temp, Ill buy a nicer one later on. I have a feeling some nice ass headers are going to be sold within a year.

sorry. but what a complete joke IMO. are you supposed to have magnifying glass vision? How are you supposed to see there are weld defects? In order to find the defects, you pretty much had to install the header. That would be like me telling a customer "nope, can't give you a refund on your out of round wheel because you put a tire on it." 2 thumbs down for moda car's customer service. And same goes for Megan if they force this policy on their vendors.

But heh, you do get what you pay for. And it all comes at a price
Im sure it was bullshit. At least I got a new header without having to test my current one. I thought it was shit that I had to test my header and others didnt.

Im going to test this one before. If its screwed I want my money back since its NOT installed. Hehee

What exhaust do you have? Like I was saying previously, with the T1R test pipe, header, and cat-back it sounds awesome...just really loud!
OEM manifold, T1R test-pipe, OEM B-pipe, and a Netami twinloop. Its not loud at all. Just it finally got that Honda tone. Before it sounded stock, just deeper. I had a gutted cat before.

Old 02-08-2007, 09:16 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah, with the setup you have, it should be nice and quiet. I have a "Honda Tone" too, but its more of a "Holy crap thats loud" kind...

Old 02-12-2007, 07:18 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
I got my new header from Megan today. I was at work; my dad called me.
I asked him to do a test on it real quick. Sure enough it leaked at the collector.

My dad called up Megan and the person (Sean) he talked to claimed that theyre recalling all Fit headers for leaking and poor quality.

They were suppose to call me back today about shipping my headers (yes, I have 2) but they didnt call me back. Modacar is suppose to be refunding my money also.

Old 02-12-2007, 08:31 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
glad to hear you are getting your money back this time around

Old 02-12-2007, 08:52 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Well, a different person at Modacar said they would refund it. But they needed proof that Megan was recalling all the Headers.

I almost want to keep the header. Port it and have the spot welded and fixed.

Old 02-12-2007, 10:26 PM
5 Year Member
My dad called up Megan and the person (Sean) he talked to claimed that theyre recalling all Fit headers for leaking and poor quality.
ALL Fit headers or just YOURS?

Would like to hear some official statement from Megan before I start ordering a replacement header.

Old 02-13-2007, 12:33 AM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Call Megan. The "Sean" claimed that theyre going to recall all of them. Im sure its just the ones with problems.

Old 02-14-2007, 04:30 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Money is going to be refunded in 3-4days. Thanks for all the help JEFF Not Albert

Old 02-14-2007, 11:07 PM
Personaly I don't like megan racing. Quality sucks!

Old 02-16-2007, 02:14 PM
5 Year Member
Well, the replacement header I recieved has been on for a while now and is doing great, I cant speak of "long term" quality but so far everything has been perfect...

Old 02-16-2007, 03:07 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 07TaffetaFit
Well, the replacement header I recieved has been on for a while now and is doing great, I cant speak of "long term" quality but so far everything has been perfect...

Mine is problem free as well.