Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

WARNING! Do Not Buy K & N Typhoon SRI

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 06:18 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by K&N Engineering
Dear FitFreak members:

K&N has made the promised changes to its Typhoon intake system for the Honda Fit. The revisions include a new intake tube and a new heat shield. The revised system will install without removing the battery, and will not interfere with the radiator cap.

If you own the K&N Typhoon kit for the Honda Fit, please contact me directly by email, phone, or PM to arrange for an exchange of your intake. K&N will ship you a brand new revised kit and provide a prepaid shipping label to ship your old kit back to us.

Many retailers and parts distributors had pending orders for this kit, as well as customers who decided to order the kit direct from K&N. These orders will be filled with the revised system. All remaining stock of the original system has been changed over to the revised kit.

The revised system has a different part number than the original, to signify the change. The part number for the revised system is 69-1016-1TS. It will be released for sale later this week (6/4/07-6/8/07). After it is released, you will be able to find more information about the system on www.knfilters.com.

My contact information for those customers who have the original kit is as follows:
Phone: (951)826-4000 x4524
Email: steveg@knfilters.com
Or send a PM

Thanks for your cooperation with us in resolving this issue. Please continue to keep us informed of your experiences with our intake system.

Steve Gibson
K&N Engineering, Inc.
Hey Steve-

After 5 1/2 months of waiting, you have no idea how hard it has been to prevent myself from kicking you guys some more on this forum during the last month.

I kept telling myself that "Steve is not the guy assigned to solve the manufacturing problem, he is the guy who wears the target for the pissed off customers to aim at. Shooting at Steve won't solve the fitment problem". So, I quit shooting and just waited.

I promised you that, if my defective Typhoon system were replaced with the correctly made parts, I would post a DIY with photos on the replacement system, and I am as good as my word.

I will contact you "directly" as you requested (which actually means "privately" I guess) to arrange for the exchange kit.

Thank you for your part in resolving this issue. As should be obvious to the members of this forum, I COULD have forced a refund for the return of the defective intake system. I did not do that simply because I wanted a K & N system that was properly made for my car, not one of the competitive systems.

PM to Steve Gibson sent today (late in the day).
Dave

Last edited by manxman; 06-05-2007 at 08:22 PM. Reason: add comment
Old 06-05-2007, 07:42 PM
5 Year Member
Now to wait for them to show up on their site to buy =D

Now all that is left is the Scosche kit to be shipping... =|

Old 06-05-2007, 10:02 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by CuTeBoi
Now to wait for them to show up on their site to buy =D

Now all that is left is the Scosche kit to be shipping... =|
Waiting for that one myself-----

Old 06-06-2007, 12:36 PM
Banned
K & N Situation Has Changed!

For the readers of this thread, I promised to advise you when changes were made. Steve Gibson has replied to my PM requesting the new Typhoon System parts (he is sending a complete new kit) in exchange for the return of my original flawed intake system.

For any fitfreak members who own one of the original systems, Steve requests that you contact him by phone, e-mail, or PM to request a replacement Typhoon SRI for your Fit.

For those who have been waiting to buy your intake until this problem was resolved, you can now buy a K & N SRI with confidence. When my new kit arrives, I will post a DIY w/photos as promised in this thread.

P.s.
The heading of this thread now seems to be inappropriate considering that the reason for my warning from last January is no longer an issue. Once my replacement system arrives and I post the DIY article, I will request that the moderators close this thread. It has served its purpose.
Dave

Last edited by manxman; 06-06-2007 at 08:02 PM.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:31 AM
5 Year Member
Sorry guys to keep this under the wrap but I did get my replacement parts back in March. Was kinda sad on the redesign of the heatshield but overall Im okay. Here's some pix

Old 06-08-2007, 01:39 PM
DAYMN that thing Fits like a glove now.... i like the crome bling they added too.. the heat shield should be such a big deal since it blocking off the important part. overall im pretty impressed with the redesign.

Old 06-08-2007, 03:02 PM
5 Year Member
is the new heatshield the larger one?

Old 06-08-2007, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by edorwart
is the new heatshield the larger one?
no, the larger heat sheild is the older design, were it would hit the radiator CAP. the new heat shield should get the job done so its not such a big deal.

Old 06-12-2007, 06:43 PM
Small delay

Hey guys,

Sorry for the small delay in getting the intake to retail. It's now available, and online at knfilters.com.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:27 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by K&N Engineering
Hey guys,

Sorry for the small delay in getting the intake to retail. It's now available, and online at knfilters.com.
So, where is the replacement that you personally promised me on 6/6?

Old 06-12-2007, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by manxman
So, where is the replacement that you personally promised me on 6/6?
Since youre the FIRST one to complain about their s#**it, you're the LAST one to receive the WHOLE NEWLY REDESIGNED K&N TYPHOON FILTER,just kidding DAVE!!

Last edited by boyetssilverfit; 06-12-2007 at 11:00 PM.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:11 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by boyetssilverfit
Since youre the FIRST one to complain about their s#**it, you're the LAST one to receive the WHOLE NEWLY REDESIGNED K&N TYPHOON FILTER,just kidding DAVE!!
That was my impression, but Steve sent a pm saying that he couldn't ship mine until the revised kit was released for retail sales. ?????? It's a 2-day UPS ship time by ground from K & N to here, so it should show up soon enough.

Old 06-13-2007, 05:25 AM
5 Year Member
Red face

Hi ALL,

Would anybody know if the new revised kit will fiit in a 1.3L IDSi Jazz?

Old 06-13-2007, 10:50 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by SiLvEr_JeZi
Hi ALL,

Would anybody know if the new revised kit will fiit in a 1.3L IDSi Jazz?
There is a completely different K & N SRI for the 1.3L that predates the USDM engine kit by about a year.

Old 06-18-2007, 12:25 PM
Banned
THIS WILL BE THE LAST POST FROM MANXMAN ON THIS THREAD:

After receiving and installing the new "redesigned to eliminate fitment problems" K & N Typhoon SRI system Part No. 69-1016-1TS, my original warning still stands. Instead of not fitting at all, now it merely almost fits.

The intake tube is still too long to the point that you cannot remove the filter for cleaning or replacement without taking the rest of the system apart. The intake tube is not polished like the one in 4dr4life's recent post. It is still a dull gray paint-like finish just like the original.

The system still uses a tapered closed end filter with a wide (6 1/2") base. This company makes many different designs and sizes of filters, including ones with straight sides and no taper. One of those should have been used, because engine movement causes the fat tapered filter to rock back into the rod that anchors the front of the battery, causing the filter to become dented. My battery is already moved as far backward as possible in order to make room for the original filter, so there is no more room available on any stock Fit to keep from denting the new filter.

In this new kit, the hose that connects the engine vent tube to the inlet connection on the new intake tube is now the proper size (it was too small i.d. before). However, unlike competitive intakes like the one from Injen, the connection on the intake tube that receives the K & N hose is on the underside and back of the intake tube.. Competitive systems have this connection conveniently placed on the front of the intake tube.

The new "heat shield" is a joke. The old system heat shield prevented water that entered from under the front edge of the hood from bathing the filter. The new "shield" is nothing but a thin sheet metal L-shaped platform with a flat bottom and a 90 degree vertical wall where the intake tube connects to the filter. The "heat shield" does not prevent heat from bathing the filter and provides no other protection to the filter.

For this expense, there are better fitting and better quality intake systems available. K & N only did about 1/2 of the job in trying to fix their original production problems.

Instead of asking the moderators to close this thread, I will leave it to their judgment whether to close it or leave it as is. I have already told the company both publicly and privately how to easily fix the original design problems. The new intake tube needs to be shortened 1/2-3/4" MORE on the filter end in order for the filter to be changeable without disassembly, and the filter shape should be tubular instead of tapered to keep from denting the filter on the battery rod and to make an effective heat shield that won't rest on the radiator cap.

HOW DAMNED HARD IS THAT, K & N???

Once again, I say "DON'T BUY IT" because better, cheaper systems exist.

I promised this forum and K & N to post a DIY with photos on the new system. I will do that mainly to illustrate my objections to the new system.

Last edited by manxman; 06-18-2007 at 01:27 PM. Reason: add comment
Old 06-18-2007, 12:59 PM
manxman is like our own fifreak ralph nader.

thanks for holding companies responsible for claims made!

Old 06-18-2007, 01:23 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by joe d
manxman is like our own fifreak ralph nader.

thanks for holding companies responsible for claims made!
You're entirely welcome. I just wish that they wouldn't make it so easy to find fault. "Just good enough" isn't.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:12 PM
i almost bought K&N SRI but i got tired of waiting and then i made a decision and decided to buy the FUJITA SRI,im satisfied with my FUJITA SRI by the way but its the heat shield that K&N features that makes me waited,now after almost 6 months K&N still did'nt make it perfect? i guess i made a right choice not to buy the K&N huh?can you please post pictures so viewers can see what are the deficiencies ?

Old 06-19-2007, 12:31 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by boyetssilverfit
i almost bought K&N SRI but i got tired of waiting and then i made a decision and decided to buy the FUJITA SRI,im satisfied with my FUJITA SRI by the way but its the heat shield that K&N features that makes me waited,now after almost 6 months K&N still did'nt make it perfect? i guess i made a right choice not to buy the K&N huh?can you please post pictures so viewers can see what are the deficiencies ?
Yes, boyet, will do. I'm just tired and pissed off, and never want to even think about K & N again. Just want to cool off for a while so that the new thread won't be too heavy with rants.

Old 06-19-2007, 01:28 AM
ok Dave,just relax,have a glass of wine & hopefully tomorrow will be a positive day.

Quick Reply: WARNING! Do Not Buy K & N Typhoon SRI