Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

WARNING! Do Not Buy K & N Typhoon SRI

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 03:20 PM
Nuwin, so you don't see a problem with any of the internal inconsistencies with K&N's statements and actions regarding this problem? Nor do you see a problem with the fact that you can still order this product from the KNfilters.com site? And you don't see a problem with not staying in touch with the consumer about the status of the solution, even if the time to solve it may be lengthy for logistical reasons?

*shrug* I'm not abandoning K&N, either, but it's pretty clear that not much more than lip service is being paid to this problem, thusfar, and that a customer who had first complained politely wasn't given the appropriate attention, even if it is to say that they haven't been able to address the issues yet.

Old 03-27-2007, 03:43 PM
I'm not trying to say it is not a problem.

However, many times, companies can only give lip service until they are completed with a project. There are too many liability issues to saying one thing and then not deliver.

That gives us those canned statements that we all love and cherish so much!

I was just trying to put some perspective on the situation from my working experiences. I've never worked for any type of automotive company, but many of the concepts here apply regardless of the product line.

I know my duties have forced me to used similar types of statements in the past. I know it is no fun for the consumer, but it doesn't give the company rep any pleasure either. Constant complaining doesn't really help the situation any, other than to stress everyone out.

Again, you can only work on so many things at one time. Since our market is so small, it isn't going to be priority number one. It is unfortunate, but we at least know the cards we are playing with.

Old 03-27-2007, 03:44 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by DangerMoose
Nuwin, so you don't see a problem with any of the internal inconsistencies with K&N's statements and actions regarding this problem? Nor do you see a problem with the fact that you can still order this product from the KNfilters.com site? And you don't see a problem with not staying in touch with the consumer about the status of the solution, even if the time to solve it may be lengthy for logistical reasons?

*shrug* I'm not abandoning K&N, either, but it's pretty clear that not much more than lip service is being paid to this problem, thusfar, and that a customer who had first complained politely wasn't given the appropriate attention, even if it is to say that they haven't been able to address the issues yet.
Another person who understands the purpose of this thread. Thanks, Moose.

Nuwin has obviously NOT read this entire thread. I have said exactly the same things as he just did in past posts. But they were so long ago, the defense that "everyone makes mistakes" has lost any validity here. I have reached the boiling point simply because the small Honda Fit market is the reason that this problem has not been addressed.

Old 03-27-2007, 03:52 PM
Looks like we posted at almost the same time.

I've read the thread. You are getting increasingly upset over a situation and you are receiving no satisfaction. That is understandable.

However, is it really worth getting all worked up over? You served your purpose by reporting the problem, and I'm sure many people thank you.

Last edited by Nuwin; 03-27-2007 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Remove negative comment from closing.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:53 PM
Nuwin, if they can't put resources to support the product, then it shouldn't have been released. That thought notwithstanding, 60 days with no correspondence, and then an update that contradicts the last correspondence isn't really what I'd call acceptable within the parameters you've defined.

We all know that people aren't perfect and companies are run by people. We all understand the realities of doing business and how we are forced to speak in a "marketing" mode that will protect the company. But that's not what the problem is here.

Old 03-27-2007, 04:14 PM
As they say, hindsight is always 20/20.

I'm not defending the problem here. It is clear that mistakes have been made beyond releasing a product that did not work as expected.

I guess I'm more trying to say is that the flaming isn't necessary, in my opinion. I think we're all in agreement on the small market issues as well as "marketing" mode.

Thus, it seems we all know the rules at this point and getting this upset is not productive.

I'm going to bow out of this debate however, as I feel we're straying too far from the subject and not everyone will want to read us argue a side topic.

I will say this however...

If I was in this situation, I would have requested a refund a long time ago and explored other options and that would have been the end of it. No sense getting terribly upset at problems I cannot control. Just make the best of it and move on.

Old 03-27-2007, 04:43 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Nuwin
As they say, hindsight is always 20/20.

I'm not defending the problem here. It is clear that mistakes have been made beyond releasing a product that did not work as expected.

I guess I'm more trying to say is that the flaming isn't necessary, in my opinion. I think we're all in agreement on the small market issues as well as "marketing" mode.

Thus, it seems we all know the rules at this point and getting this upset is not productive.

I'm going to bow out of this debate however, as I feel we're straying too far from the subject and not everyone will want to read us argue a side topic.

I will say this however...

If I was in this situation, I would have requested a refund a long time ago and explored other options and that would have been the end of it. No sense getting terribly upset at problems I cannot control. Just make the best of it and move on.
Nuwin-

I am not as "upset" as you may think. I am merely still reporting the lack of response from K&N, aside from the corporate "huffing and puffing" on this forum, to warn off the folks who have not seen this thread. Whenever the thread goes down to the bottom of the list, I poke K&N with a sharp stick (my words on this forum) and see how they respond. The thread comes back up to the top and more people see it.

I fully intend to get my money's worth from this company. I like the concept of this design better than some of the more expensive chamber intakes, even though the chambers may work even better. If the chamber intakes came with heat shields, I would probably have requested a refund from K&N and sent their mistake back to them. I haven't done that yet because the solution to their production problem is so simple. I want to be such a giant pain in the ass that they finally make an effort to make me go away. If that happens, future Fit owners can then buy a K&N SRI that actually works.

They continue to embarrass themselves in their posts here, and by ignoring the affected customers, instead of knuckling down and fixing the production methods. It sounds as if you do not own this system and cannot hold these few parts in your hands. If so, that's GREAT news. If you could hold them, and if you had metal fabrication experience, or plastics forming experience, you would see how laughable this "unsolvable" problem is. The Fit SRI is one of the simplest intake systems that K&N makes. Everyone else makes SRI's for the Fit that work. K&N makes one that does not.

Old 03-27-2007, 04:59 PM
Although I don't have the experience in the areas you have specified, I'm not without my knowledge. I've been on both sides of an issue before. I've worked places where such a simple and easy fix is a nightmare to actually achieve. I'm sure everyone has experienced something they can relate to this situation...

I think what got me going the most was the tone. I guess I just don't see the need for some of the negativity that some of your posts give off. That may speak more to my reading ability, but never the less...

I think you are more than serving your purpose by stating that there is a problem and at regular intervals indicating that no update has been made. Stating your process in communicating to the company the problem in this thread in journal like style is quite excellent.

Maybe I'm just being insensitive here. I guess I could say that I don't necessarily "care" about opinion. I just want the facts reported and will form my own opinion. The facts speak more to me than anything. Right or wrong, everyone has opinions, not everyone has facts. You clearly are the one with the facts here, but I feel like I'm having to sift them out of opinion. That is just my opinion. (Holy cow, how many more times can I say opinion in such a short period of time...)

I do wish you luck in getting this resolved. Just don't hold your breath...

Last edited by Nuwin; 03-27-2007 at 05:02 PM.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:35 PM
5 Year Member
I'm gonna have to side with MXM and DM on this one. Having been a sales rep for a manufacturer in another industry for many years, I once (on a particularly stressful day) coined the phrase: 10% of my job is sales...the other 90% is damage control. Many times in business your name is all you have. If you decide to stake your reputation around your name and market your name brand as being synonymous with quality, then you had BETTER be willing to make any situation right that is OBVIOUSLY your mistake...and as quickly as possible. The buying public can be very fickle. Negative publicity may work for Brittany Spears, but it doesn't work for K&N.

Brand loyalty is only determined by the buyer's trust in the product. If you (as a company) want your public to continue to buy your product then you don't want them to have any reason to doubt your ability to provide quality.

The problem goes beyond them pissing off the customers who have already purchased this product...now they are doing damage to others who, like myself, don't want to support a company that doesn't make customer service their #1 priority. I knew that for me to be successful as a salesperson, I had to be an even MORE successful customer service rep for my dealers. If they didn't KNOW that I was there for them 100%, then there was nothing stopping them from taking my competitor's calls.

Personally, I believe customer service and product support to be the key to success. Having seen a PUBLIC response from the company in this forum and then to find out that they still haven't addressed the issue, is disappointing at best. As I said before, I'll spend my money elsewhere.

Old 03-28-2007, 08:45 PM
Banned
Thanks BBMM-

Its odd how our fellow member objects to finding facts mixed with opinions, on a site that exists for the sharing of facts and opinions. My ferocity over this issue comes from a 30 year career as a sales engineer in the high tech. manufacturing industry. You expressed my reasons for holding these people's feet to the fire exactly. I write for a target audience- people like you and DangerMoose, but I don't expect everyone to agree either with me or my methods.

For those whose delicate sensibilities are offended, you know what to expect from this thread, so click on a different one instead! When this thread goes away, you'll know that it is now safe to buy this intake for YOUR FIT because someone else took the initiative to make it happen.

In the meantime, whether or not readers think that I am crazy, foolish, or both, I'll bet that THEY are not foolish enough to buy this thing, in its present condition, after reading this thread. If they are, they deserve what they get.

Last edited by manxman; 03-28-2007 at 09:16 PM. Reason: add comment
Old 04-08-2007, 04:15 PM
Thank you for this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Because of it i changed my mind and went with a fujita sri and the fit was perfict

Old 04-08-2007, 05:02 PM
Banned
Good move! And your new intake looks nice on your BOM Fit.
And, oh look! you even have a hose just the right size to connect your crankcase vent tube to your new intake! This thread reminds me of watching a late night, VERY BAD, horror movie. I realize that I should just turn it off, but I keep watching just to see how much worse it can get.

Last edited by manxman; 04-08-2007 at 05:19 PM.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:42 AM
5 Year Member
I'm wondering also, i'm holding off on purchasing an air intake system for my new fit. I have always purchased K & N filters, i was just browsing the forums, and noticed complaints, which i have never seen for the company.

Now I have to hold off.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:00 AM
K&N typhoon...

i was thinking about getting the k&n typhoon short ram for my fit sport... (when i finally get it....) i was wondering if anyone already had it, and how they like it, and also if its made a difference. and ive also heard it voids the warranty on the engine ??? is that true ?

Old 04-30-2007, 11:51 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by xcurt15
i was thinking about getting the k&n typhoon short ram for my fit sport... (when i finally get it....) i was wondering if anyone already had it, and how they like it, and also if its made a difference. and ive also heard it voids the warranty on the engine ??? is that true ?
You should read this entire thread. NONE of our members who have read this thread have bought this intake because IT DOES NOT FIT YOUR CAR BECAUSE OF FACTORY DEFECTS.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:51 AM
K & N Typhoon

I agree with manxman,K&N should at least offer your money back if they admit that this is their fault in design and engineering,it looks like Fit is not their priority because its a small market,i was about to buy this TYPHOON but after reading this thread it completely changed my decision.i will wait till they fix this problem before i buy TYPHOON or consider other SRI that will perfectly fit on our beloved HONDA FIT.

Old 05-01-2007, 03:53 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by boyetssilverfit
I agree with manxman,K&N should at least offer your money back if they admit that this is their fault in design and engineering,it looks like Fit is not their priority because its a small market,i was about to buy this TYPHOON but after reading this thread it completely changed my decision.i will wait till they fix this problem before i buy TYPHOON or consider other SRI that will perfectly fit on our beloved HONDA FIT.
Thanks, boyetssilverfit. good choice! As proof of how little K & N, as a company, cares about our small market for their products, their representative Steve Gibson has not even looked at this forum since April 9. Since his lies of more than 90 days ago, he gets an Email reminder whenever there is a post on this particular forum. Now, he does not even bother to monitor what is being said.

I still have a piece of crap labeled K & N under my hood.

Old 05-01-2007, 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by manxman
Thanks, boyetssilverfit. good choice! As proof of how little K & N, as a company, cares about our small market for their products, their representative Steve Gibson has not even looked at this forum since April 9. Since his lies of more than 90 days ago, he gets an Email reminder whenever there is a post on this particular forum. Now, he does not even bother to monitor what is being said.

I still have a piece of crap labeled K & N under my hood.
wow man, this is why i stopped giving my business to them, i never back there stuff anymore.

Old 05-01-2007, 05:29 PM
5 Year Member
ive spoken with k&n as i was in search of the typhoon discovering nobody had it in stock and people that did had their stock of fit intakes pulled by k&n to address the fitment issue so i figure they are doing something to fix the issue, i will be probably be purchasing the kit once they start shipping again and update this thread with my two cents on this whole situation

Old 06-05-2007, 12:16 PM
K&N Typhoon revised kit available

Dear FitFreak members:

K&N has made the promised changes to its Typhoon intake system for the Honda Fit. The revisions include a new intake tube and a new heat shield. The revised system will install without removing the battery, and will not interfere with the radiator cap.

If you own the K&N Typhoon kit for the Honda Fit, please contact me directly by email, phone, or PM to arrange for an exchange of your intake. K&N will ship you a brand new revised kit and provide a prepaid shipping label to ship your old kit back to us.

Many retailers and parts distributors had pending orders for this kit, as well as customers who decided to order the kit direct from K&N. These orders will be filled with the revised system. All remaining stock of the original system has been changed over to the revised kit.

The revised system has a different part number than the original, to signify the change. The part number for the revised system is 69-1016-1TS. It will be released for sale later this week (6/4/07-6/8/07). After it is released, you will be able to find more information about the system on www.knfilters.com.

My contact information for those customers who have the original kit is as follows:
Phone: (951)826-4000 x4524
Email: steveg@knfilters.com
Or send a PM

Thanks for your cooperation with us in resolving this issue. Please continue to keep us informed of your experiences with our intake system.

Steve Gibson
K&N Engineering, Inc.

Quick Reply: WARNING! Do Not Buy K & N Typhoon SRI