Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Header + Axle back gains?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 02:16 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Header + Axle back gains?

For those of you who don't have B-pipes but just a axle back and header, have you guys notice any noticeable gains?

I have a Aspec axle back and I did notice a little bit of gain. I like how the exhuast sounds now and I really don't want to add a B-pipe just yet. But I have been thinking bolting on headers for it.

I'm sure the header will change the sound a bit but probably not as much as B-pipes right?

Since the headers is cheap, I'll just go ahead and make sure that is on my list for my next purchase.

You guys think this would be a waste of time and money by adding just the headers alone without a b-pipe? Kinda odd for the exhuast to flow right when you have larger diameter pipes coming out of the header, then back into the stock B-pipe and out of a larger diameter piped axle back muffler.

Last edited by TomiGunz; 01-08-2007 at 02:20 AM.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:38 AM
5 Year Member
u know what u think the way i do. i have the aspec axle back also and i wnate headers b4 i want a b-pipe. i am either gonna get the megan racing ones OR see if i can find out when the hell the dc headers are coming out for the fit. either way ima get headers b4 the b-pipe.

on a side note, i dont even have an intake yet but just a drop in k&n filter.

Old 01-08-2007, 08:59 AM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by koolkevin1107
u know what u think the way i do. i have the aspec axle back also and i wnate headers b4 i want a b-pipe. i am either gonna get the megan racing ones OR see if i can find out when the hell the dc headers are coming out for the fit. either way ima get headers b4 the b-pipe.

on a side note, i dont even have an intake yet but just a drop in k&n filter.

Any word from DC yet?

Old 01-08-2007, 12:12 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
That's what I was planning to do. Buying a megan racing one. I'm sure it will give little gain, but for the price I can't hold out. It'll be cool to show some friends under the hood also..

-Tomi

Old 01-08-2007, 02:35 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
I recently gutted my cat, at first I didnt feel gains but driving the car more and more Im noticing the difference. Maybe the ECU is learning? Still need to get rid of the CEL.
With that being said I want a header now. So the only thing that will be holding me back would be the B-pipe.

My current mods are an Aspec CAI and TwinLoop axle-back.

Old 01-08-2007, 02:47 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by Mx6GT89
I recently gutted my cat, at first I didnt feel gains but driving the car more and more Im noticing the difference. Maybe the ECU is learning? Still need to get rid of the CEL.
With that being said I want a header now. So the only thing that will be holding me back would be the B-pipe.

My current mods are an Aspec CAI and TwinLoop axle-back.

What's holding me back on the B-Pipe is the sound. I don't want my car sounding like a fart can. I like how quiet and deep the tone is right now. But I'm sure the headers will give it a more aggressive sound. I noticed that when I installed DC headers on my wife's accord.

I'll be getting the megan headers the end of this month or next. So I guess I'll take the plunge for it since the price is not bad at all. I guess for under $200 it gives you the itch to buy it. The downside is they don't have the header back pipe which other headers come with. I'll keep researching..

-Tomi

Old 01-08-2007, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by TomiGunz
You guys think this would be a waste of time and money by adding just the headers alone without a b-pipe? Kinda odd for the exhuast to flow right when you have larger diameter pipes coming out of the header, then back into the stock B-pipe and out of a larger diameter piped axle back muffler.
if you plan on getting the B-Pipe then no its not a waste of money....but yes going from larger piping from the block to the cat to small (stock) piping then back out to larger piping through the axle back is quite odd....and itll just go like this Free Flow -- Restricted -- Free Flow

i had my axle back on for a week before i picked up the B Pipe.....Big difference with the B pipe on there. it did get a bit louder but also deeper. the spoon axle back was loud so the decibel change wasnt a big deal for me. but it does breathe better thinking of gettign the Megan Header to complete the exhaust flow.

id say get the header....there cheap

Old 01-09-2007, 07:38 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Well, I put in an offer on a MR header on Ebay. If it goes through I'll be getting it soon. I'll make another vid of the sound difference.
The downside of you having an Aspec axle-back is that its a canister muffler. No matter what you'll get a loud tone with a header and mid-pipe. I bigger muffler such as the Wagolis would be perfect for a low tone. Or the Spoon street muffler (forgot the name?)

Either mufflers are NOT cheap. It also may not be your style.

Last edited by Raaaaaaaaaay.; 01-09-2007 at 07:44 PM.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:55 AM
hey TomiGunz, how is the sound on your apsec axle back? I am deciding on either that or the tanabe touring medallion axle back.I want an exhaust that has a deep tone which is definately differentiable from the stock muffler, but not annyoyingly loud as well....in fact, i'd prefer the exhaust be quieter then average aftermarket exhuasts
If you could give me some feedback on the noise level as well as the tone of the apsec, that would be great.
Thanks

Old 01-19-2007, 12:00 PM
I would really like to see axle back dyno figures and the no axle back gains over stock.

Old 01-19-2007, 05:00 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
The aspec axle back has a sporty sound to it. It's tone gets a little louder when you hit the pedal but only when you hit the pedal. Otherwise normal driving you can barely hear it. My wife takes it to school and when she come home, I can tell it's alot more quiet than these other shitty sounding exhuast around the apartments.

so basically it's sporty quiet. I love it. I want more power but I don't want to change the sound. I guess I'll have to if I add a header and B pipe...

Old 01-20-2007, 12:36 AM
5 Year Member
I will also go for aftermarket header+axle back setup in the future. When I had my EM1 SiR I tried:
- SPOON N1 muffler w/USDM ITR 2-1 downpipe & testpipe
- SPOON N1 muffler w stock header, cat & OEM ITR b-pipe(tiny bigger piping)

The 2nd setup gave me most difference especially mid-high end power. However I never get to install a 4-2-1 header before I sold the car. So I guess I will try to install a SPOON/FGK muffler then a header on the Fit. Then I'll try to see the difference with & without an aftermarket b-pipe after.

I'm keeping the cat converter for sure!

Old 02-01-2007, 10:00 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Guess I'll wat for DC headers.. Hearing bad things about the megan headers.

In a few months I'll reply and tell you guys if I notice any gains..