Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

What swaps fit a 2009 Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2019, 02:28 PM
What swaps fit a 2009 Fit?

Hello all. I have an AUTOMATIC 2009 Fit sport. It has 235k miles. This car has given me ZERO just tune up and maintenance. I am being told if I keep up with the maintenance the motor should make it to 350k.

Nonetheless, I am prepping for the worst. When this engine pops, I want to put in a bigger engine for horsepower, speed, and gas. I figure, if I put a bigger engine on a car that doesnt way anything, I should save on gas, get more mpg and have that extra power. And if not, then same mpg but at least more power.

Now my question,

Is there an engine that easily fits right in? If so, which one and how much is it?

If it needs modifications, is it just engine mounts or something more than that?

I am not looking for crazy horsepower. I just want something more than 115mph and wont break the bank. Also be able to pass the BAR for California Smog. So basically just what gives me some good horsepower for not so much money, and a practical easy swap in.

Thanks!

Old 08-05-2019, 05:18 PM
5 Year Member
According to what I can find for smog rules in California (I don't live there, just Google Fu and a few minutes) if you swap engines the replacement engine cannot have higher emissions than the engine being replaced.

Here's the problem:

The 2009 Fit emits 287 grams of greenhouse gas per mile. Which is actually pretty low, all things considered. But any other sort of engine will emit more. Take for example the K20 in the 2006 Acura RSX type S. One of the more common engine swaps in this sort of car emits 386 grams of greenhouse gas per mile, almost 50% more than stock. Or looking at the K24 in tons of other Honda's (Accord, CRV, some civics ect) which emits 355 grams per mile.

That's the big hurdle I see. Unless there's some rule that I haven't found, strictly speaking it's not possible to pass emissions with any of these engines. Any other sort of engine (base model civic 4 cyl comes to mind) is the motor most people get rid of, so a guided walk through of an engine swap probably doesn't exist.

These motors, properly cared for will last well beyond 350k. We've got a forum member (name eludes me at the moment) who's over 500K on original engine and transmission, sans the normal wear and tear items. You've got a loooooooong time before you need to worry.

But let's cast all that aside and talk swaps. Like I said, the K20 and K24 are the most common engines for swaps. not a tremendous penalty in added weight but tons of aftermarket support, takes tunes well and if you shop smart motors can be had for just a few grand with computer, transmission ect. K20's are more expensive, but rev a bit higher and sound a bit nicer (to me, your ear may vary), and the K24 came in all 4 cylinder accords, CRV's and a few others for years, so motors are everywhere. Revs a bit lower, but more displacement and more torque. So once a motor is picked go here and start reading. It's incredibly expensive for what your car is worth. You need to be really attached to your car to want to go through with it. There's a post on a CRZ forum I've stumbled across, and the man said his swap ended up costing just shy of 10k with parts and labor. That's the cost of a pretty decent used Accord, with the engine you're trying to pull out of it already in it.

If you're still up for this, start by looking at a place like Copart. Wrecked Honda's are all over the place and can be had for peanuts. Find one that's been in a rear end or side collision and pay around $800 all in to save some money. Prices vary, but most auctions I see run between 400-600, and the fee's usually run another 200-300.

EDIT: Adding a few links. First is a video Gears & Gasoline did on a K24 swapped Honda Fit.

Second is a link to engine mounts for the K20, I think they also work on the K24.

Last edited by Red 05; 08-05-2019 at 05:25 PM.
Old 08-05-2019, 08:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 09Fitskies
just what gives me some good horsepower for not so much money, and a practical easy swap in.
Just stick with the L15. K swap is really the only option and its not "drop in". It is also pricey as all ready stated.

Originally Posted by Red 05
We've got a forum member (name eludes me at the moment) who's over 500K on original engine and transmission, sans the normal wear and tear items. You've got a loooooooong time before you need to worry.
Julian's Fit.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ld-thread.html

Last edited by GolNat; 08-05-2019 at 09:00 PM.
Old 08-05-2019, 10:35 PM
Originally Posted by Red 05
According to what I can find for smog rules in California (I don't live there, just Google Fu and a few minutes) if you swap engines the replacement engine cannot have higher emissions than the engine being replaced.

Here's the problem:

The 2009 Fit emits 287 grams of greenhouse gas per mile. Which is actually pretty low, all things considered. But any other sort of engine will emit more. Take for example the K20 in the 2006 Acura RSX type S. One of the more common engine swaps in this sort of car emits 386 grams of greenhouse gas per mile, almost 50% more than stock. Or looking at the K24 in tons of other Honda's (Accord, CRV, some civics ect) which emits 355 grams per mile.

That's the big hurdle I see. Unless there's some rule that I haven't found, strictly speaking it's not possible to pass emissions with any of these engines. Any other sort of engine (base model civic 4 cyl comes to mind) is the motor most people get rid of, so a guided walk through of an engine swap probably doesn't exist.

These motors, properly cared for will last well beyond 350k. We've got a forum member (name eludes me at the moment) who's over 500K on original engine and transmission, sans the normal wear and tear items. You've got a loooooooong time before you need to worry.

But let's cast all that aside and talk swaps. Like I said, the K20 and K24 are the most common engines for swaps. not a tremendous penalty in added weight but tons of aftermarket support, takes tunes well and if you shop smart motors can be had for just a few grand with computer, transmission ect. K20's are more expensive, but rev a bit higher and sound a bit nicer (to me, your ear may vary), and the K24 came in all 4 cylinder accords, CRV's and a few others for years, so motors are everywhere. Revs a bit lower, but more displacement and more torque. So once a motor is picked go here and start reading. It's incredibly expensive for what your car is worth. You need to be really attached to your car to want to go through with it. There's a post on a CRZ forum I've stumbled across, and the man said his swap ended up costing just shy of 10k with parts and labor. That's the cost of a pretty decent used Accord, with the engine you're trying to pull out of it already in it.

If you're still up for this, start by looking at a place like Copart. Wrecked Honda's are all over the place and can be had for peanuts. Find one that's been in a rear end or side collision and pay around $800 all in to save some money. Prices vary, but most auctions I see run between 400-600, and the fee's usually run another 200-300.

EDIT: Adding a few links. First is a video Gears & Gasoline did on a K24 swapped Honda Fit. K24

Second is a link to engine mounts for the K20, I think they also work on the K24.
Hmmm. Yea I'm not sure too much about engine swap for smog I just know engine cant be older than the car and obviously not from another make. I used to have a 4cyl BMW hatchback and I dropped the M3 6cyl into it and I was able to get it BAR and pass smog.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:38 PM
Well if it does make 400k I'd be a happy camper. The interior looks like new. I like the car because I have 2 large dogs and the back seats folding fully flat is what I love the most about the car and being able to drive my dogs around. This is my daily/dog car. So if engine goes, I'm not interested in spending $5000+ on another car when I technically have a perfect car now. But I figured if I can go spend a couple thousand for a bigger engine why not. My engine swap only cost me $4k or so with my BMW. I doubt honda engines are that expensive (of course I'm not looking for vtec or type r engines or anything crazy like that)

Old 08-05-2019, 10:41 PM
5 Year Member
If you just want another engine like what you have now Copart sells fits for dirt cheap. Just shop till you find one with minimal or no front end damage.

Old 08-06-2019, 09:33 PM
5 Year Member
To answer the original question, which I think you're probably getting by now - no, there is not another engine that fits. Except the even smaller engines available overseas.

Some things are easily upgradeable, the heart of the fit, I'm afraid, is not. It WILL be somewhat easy to replace when it fails, but it's not common to need a new engine unless you are neglecting it -- more common to need some kind of part replaced from time to time. Or many parts.

Old 08-07-2019, 10:50 AM
5 Year Member
The only swaps that have been successfully done thus far have been K20/K24 swaps, and those that have done them on GE8 Fits haven't been very helpful on doing writeups about what exactly is needed. Long-short is you're looking at a minimum $8k to have a shop do it, very likely more, due to the electrical work (mechanically, sure - HASport makes mounts for the CRZ, our cousin, which would work and the axles can be made by DriveShaftShop). And then of course you're looking at the fact you have an automatic tranny - AFAIK, all the swaps done so far have been for manual cars so that would further complicate things because now you'd have to source swapping all the bits for an auto to manual conversion, assuming you're comfortable driving stick.

Honestly, if you're worried about your motor giving up the ghost, your best bet is just another L15a7 - the same motor you have now - that has been refreshed.

More power? Only way that's been fairly reliable and "easy" on a stock automatic L15a7 is the Sprintex supercharger, which most of us wanting a little more oomph have done. I say "easy" because while the install is pretty uneventful and only took my brother-in-law and I a few hours to put in, the tuning is what most have had issues with. So people have modified even what comes in the kit - most commonly, using four RDX injectors in place of the fifth injector supplied in the kit, and using KTuner to tune instead of the tuning option supplied. Which of course, adds to the cost - those two things add about $800 on top of the Sprintex system. Would also recommend swapping out the fuel pump to more safely feed those RDX injectors with a Denso 265lph piece, which is drop in but around another $400. After all that, then you've gotta tune, which might run around $300-500 depending on your shop and tuner. So all in so far you're looking at $4000 - 5000. To have that stock GE8 put down maybe 170hp at the wheels on 91/93 octane gas, which will now be your required fuel. Oh, and my fuel economy - the best tank I've ever had was about 170 miles, down from my average of ~270. The fact is, making a Fit move quicker ain't cheap.