Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Sleeping turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 04:08 PM
Sleeping turbo?

Hey guys, im thinking about (as im sure most of you are) turboing my car...thing is while im fairly good at saving cash...i dont think id be able to save 2-5k for a kit. So im thinking about building the car up and assemble a kit on my own. Problem is, though ive studied DSMs for a longer amount of time than i want to remember, ive never been able to touch one, or any other turboed car...so i dont know a whole hell of alot about turbos, or the compenants i would need for one...especially when trying to set one up on a N/A car. At the same time, ill admit i wanted to make my car as loud as possible with a BOV you could ehar from a mile away just so everyone would know that this isnt just some ricer honda....but i got over myself and decided i really want to make it as sleeper as possible while maintaining a nice deep growl...if that makes any sense. Im just not sure what exhaust and intake i should buy that would give me that, as well as work with a turbo...

I know, im probably gonna get yelled at about how i need to learn more about turbo setups before i attempt any of this...but thats what im trying to do. So if anyone can give me some ideas on what supplies i will end up needing...some good information on turbo mechanics and any ideas on how i should go about this would be VERY appreciative. Thanks guys =)

Old 11-28-2006, 06:33 PM
5 Year Member
Jackson Racing has made a supercharger kit to come out in the next month or so! $3k-$4k. T1R is making a turbo kit as well!

Old 11-28-2006, 06:51 PM
are you planning on droppin on stock motor or onto a swap? if stock i would say you wait for a turbo kit to come out so you dont have to deal with finding a manifold for your car, and youll most likely have to get custom downpipe, i/c piping etc... Less hassle, and all you got to do is bolt on.

One thing i would say you do to be sleeper is, spray paint the intercooler black. No one will kno its there, ive told many ppl im turbod and they dont believe it cause they cant see the i/c.

Old 11-28-2006, 10:40 PM
thing is im pretty sure (knowing me) i wont be able to save my money for that long of a time to reach up to 3 or 5k...thats why i was aking about parts, so i can build the car up over time with certain parts, like exhaust, intake and start piecing everything for the turbo itself together untill i have everything put on or ready to put on it

and i was planning to do it on the stock motor...i figure ill play with this as long as i can and the day it gives up the ghost ill swap a different one into it

Old 11-28-2006, 11:05 PM
well you can do what my friend did, took him a year, but he ordered a part everytime he had money. He started out with a custom manifold and downpipe, then intercooler, then he got a tial wastegate and bov, then fuel management (i forget what hes using but he tuned himself), oil lines and small things, and then turbo. after he got everything installed he had the i/c pipings custom made from a friend. Ran open downpipe to a local muffler shop and had a 3in exhaust done. all this took him about 9-10 months.

The plan was to put together a cheap kit, find used parts, but shit happens, turns out everything was bought brand new. i think everything came out to be from 4-5k

Last edited by fEPst3r; 11-28-2006 at 11:08 PM.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:41 PM
yeah, that what i was planning to do, just wasant sure what parts i would need. Im figuring to do a cat-back exhaust first and build from there, figuring by the time i get the turbo, i can order an intake that will work with it and get the piping needed to fit the turbo up to the rest of the exhaust...so on and so fourth. im fairly sure in the end the combined price of all the parts is going to cost more than a kit, and its gonna be more of a pain in the ass, but its about only way i think i can do it...plus i think it'll be rad to make the entire set up "my own" instead of using a kit that everyone else will have

Old 11-30-2006, 02:44 AM
5 Year Member
start with the suspension and brakes first. Look at the Time Attack results from the Streets of Willow challenge. Ben & AJ Racing beat out a Supercharged Fit and were only 1 second slower than a K20 Fit. AJR had a fully tuned suspension and mild engine bolt ons.

Old 12-04-2006, 09:37 PM
The most important part of any turbo kit is just:
- Manifold
- Turbo
- Down pipe
- Engine Management

It's not HARD to get a hold of these and it's not hard to have someone make these. A full turbo kit is usually designed so that you won't have to tune your car.
As said by MANY MANY shops/manufacturers, no matter the size of the turbo, it's always wise to run an intercooler.
You can have a "turbo" on your car for under $1500, but would you reach some kind of problem down the road? Most likely yes.

Dickson