Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Rattles- I'm winning!!! + DIY FIX

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 02:26 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 7red7
Awesome glad to hear that!!!

What was your solution that worked???
I took some "shelf liner", you know, the stuff you put in your drawers to keep stuff from skidding around.....anyway, I jammed it all over the place in when I had my glove box dropped all the way down. Seems like the most effective pieces were up near the defrost vents. In any case, they stay put because they are slip resistant and so far, no noise whatsoever

Old 11-11-2008, 05:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by holmes
I bought my FIT in September of 2006. On February 23, 2007 I finally got my car into the dealer because the entire dashboard was creaking and rattling and basically driving me crazy.

The dealer initially said they were able to duplicate the noise early in the morning but once the day warmed up ( I live in Connecticut) the noise went away. They called me and informed me that no action was taken and I could come pick up the car.

Well, I picked up the car and quicky drove it around the block so I could confirm the noise. I drove back to the dealer and had the service manager come out and drive around the block with me. He definitely heard the noise and apoligized for it not being properly fixed.

In a nutshell they spent two days tearing things down and here's the documented fix: "Mileage 19,237. Dash has multiple creaks and rattles @ base of windshield and aroun the lower "A" pillar trip area and around the instrument visor area. Contacted Honda tech-line. Tech-line had no info in database on this issue. Removed instrument visor and guages and road tested. Still hear several noises @ base of windshield area. Removed entire dashboard assy and found no EPT foam on underside of dash panel @ firewall area. Also found two vent ducts on t he drivers side that were conacting each other creating creak type noise. Installed a strip of EPT foam between ducts, installed EPT foam along the entire firewall area over sound deadening foam and also put EPT foam on underside of dash panel and insulated dash board locating pins as they were also a source of noise. Reinstalled dashboard assy, installed wool felt around instrument panel bezel and around instrument visor assy. Also applied wool felt to base of the "A" pillar trim panels. Roadtested again...dash area silent."

My dash made a ton of noise, especially when it was in the 20's outside. Since the fix it is silent and a joy to drive again. Just wanted to give folks a heads up in the event you are experiencing a similar problem.
Awesome information!

What dealer did you go to for the repair, as I am in CT and looking to try and get my dash to shut up(PM if desired) ?

Old 01-18-2009, 01:31 AM
5 Year Member
i know this is an older thread but my dash started creaking last week and has now gotten worse. its not at the windshield or the ends its at the center above the vents like its plastic on plastic. i can push down on it and it will somewhat stop so this monday i'm taking it to the dealer. i'm kinda pissed off by it my fit only has 2,300 miles and has no mods i know some people will say its only a $17k car but thats alot to me and i think honda should have done a better job on it. i'll let everyone know if they will and can fix it

Old 01-21-2009, 01:37 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the advice and hints on rattle suppresion. I have the same dash rattle and coin tray issues. I'll pick up the adhesive backed felt and a neoprene foam bottle jacket I saw at dollarama. Minus 5 deg Far. is common here on the northern prairies, occasionally -30. The Fit is not suitable for our winters. I've never had a new car so cold. We have to wear winter coats, winter boots, and put cardboard in front of the radiator if it's below zero. The dealer says this is normal! He says if the air coming out of the heater is warmer than the air going in, then everything is fine and we have no reason to complain.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:46 PM
You might have to do what I've been doing, turn on the AC and put on floor/def + recirc to build up the heat for the first 20 minutes. Tiny motor is too doggone efficient and it really needs assist from an auxiliary electric heater like the Volt will have.

This warranty is driving me nuts, I want to take the whole dang dash apart and put rubber foam everywhere but I can't do it for another 29k miles.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:08 AM
5 Year Member
for everyone that has the dash rattle at the top left corner of the passenger airbag, and plan or have silent-ed their dash by taking it apart and padding it up, how did you remove the passenger airbag unit?

if someone can give a diy, or any info on just how to remove the passenger airbag unit, that would help. i plan on taking it out, and weatherstripping and dynamatting it.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:36 PM
5 Year Member
I was really hoping to not see any ge8 owners having dash rattle issues as i'm taking delivery of my Fit when it arrives sometime this week.

I'm very interested to hear if anymore ge8 owners are having dash rattle problems and, if so, if Honda is doing anything about it.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:35 PM
So, I'm getting some clicking/tapping noises from the passenger side a-pillar area in my 2009. It happens going over undulating pavement that makes the body flex. I took a service person from the local Honda dealership for a ride. He said he heard it, but didn't appear to be too interested in looking into the matter. He mentioned that it is an economy car, after all. Further, after he banged the dashboard with his fist a few times, I thought I'd try to solve it myself first. Is anyone experiencing this or know of a solution?

Old 05-14-2009, 03:03 AM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lucky Devil
So, I'm getting some clicking/tapping noises from the passenger side a-pillar area in my 2009. It happens going over undulating pavement that makes the body flex. I took a service person from the local Honda dealership for a ride. He said he heard it, but didn't appear to be too interested in looking into the matter. He mentioned that it is an economy car, after all. Further, after he banged the dashboard with his fist a few times, I thought I'd try to solve it myself first. Is anyone experiencing this or know of a solution?

I am having the same problem clicking and tapping noise from the passenger side pillar area.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:41 PM
more rattles

I am one of those people who will not stop until annoying noises are gone too. A couple more little ones for people like us: The rear hatch panel 3rd brake light was buzzing. I like neoprene sticky back foam as my number one rattle fixer myself. I bought 80 feet of 4" for sound proofing so I have plenty available. Wedge small pieces of the stuff at the corners of the brake light sticking it to the glass and one in the middle. YESSSS....gone. Other little things? Tap on all the panels and you find them. The hook covers on the quarter panels have slop. Pop them off (easy now, every stupid little plastic part you brake costs $15 minimum) put a piece of 1/4" thick down by the hooks (on the metal underneath). This puts a little pressure on the cover and takes out the slop. Same with the brake light acess panels.

Thanks for your tips, the door handles is one I will try next.

Originally Posted by eyedryve
OK, I've been at work on some of those little F*%^@#r's.

Here's what I have.

Dash rattle: Mostly with poor road surfaces, or particularly any expansion joint like you find all over the city. Stops if I press on the dash near the left front corner of the passenger airbag panel. I can also reproduce it if I tap there- resonates across the whole dash. So, I pulled the glove box off, and had a look. Can't see squat, really, too small in there. But you can feel. Feels like the dash and the ductwork for the defroster are either well attached or molded as one piece. I wedged a golf club grip between the firewall and the front side of the ducts, and PRESTO. It's gone. Rubber is compliant/flexible, and dense, so it does great.

Now, the doors. I have found two distinct rattles in the drivers door. One if from a jerkwipe at a local carwash that slammed my door like some 1970's Chevy- and turns out he broke the mounting plate for the window lift. Honda's gonna warranty that one.

Second, the inside metal panel resonates and vibrates something in the latch mechanism. It isn't one of the actuator bars though- no change with holding them while rattling the thing. I think it's the actual latch. So, I bought some Damplifier from Second Skin, and it's REALLY helped decrease the door resonance. Speakers sound WAY better, too. I need to add a little more, and then replace the door panels. I also added some RattlePad to cushion between the panel and the metal. I think it's gonna be awesome.

Only other rattle was the MDF spare tire cover/floor vibrating on the plastic it sits on. I fixed that with some simple weatherstripping.

Good luck.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:48 PM
5 Year Member
My son installs telecommunications transmitters, receivers and crap he won't talk about on towers.... He always has black electrical putty that he gives me and soon I will have enough to cover every surface of my car.... It is what I use to to cushion and absorb rattles and lots of other things,

Old 12-08-2009, 09:08 PM
5 Year Member
Those irritating dash rattles!

I, too, have had my share of rattles ... and then some. After taking the car to Honda at least 1/2 dozen times with very little luck, I took the matter into my own hands. While I don't know squat about tearing off a dash or taking apart a glove box or tearing apart any single item on my 2008 Fit for that matter, I do know that where there is a will there is a way. And my will was to get those irritating dash rattles gone or I would lose my living mind. On a whim after getting some furniture repaired, I asked the repairman if he could give me any rejects of foam padding that he was going to throw away after padding some seat cushions. He went to his reject bin and altogether he gave me several reject pieces that must have eqauled 12 feet in length; they were about 3 inches high and about 1 inch thick. To make a long story short, let's just suffice it to say I now have 12 feet of foam padding all over the dash area, wherever I could put it. I cut the pieces in various sizes and began stuffing the foam rubber above the glove compartment, around the air bags, around some wires I felt heading toward the radio, and wherever it seemed like plastic was hitting plastic.

And as for the noise some of you have mentioned you've heard around the side pillars, I had them, too. A clacking noise was coming from some give and take in the seat belt holder where plastic and metal were hitting whenever I went over bumps - This was especially noticeable in the right drivers side when no one was driving with me and therefore the right drivers seat belt was not being used. So I stuffed a tiny piece of foam rubber up in the small gray area at the top compartment that holds the right seat belt and got rid of that noise, too.

I can't say I've gotten rid of every rattle, but the rattles are reduced considerably. Now my only concern is that my right driver's seat air bag may not deploy since I've got so much foam padding around it where the tubes were rubbing together and making a scrunchy cellophane noise when going over bumps. I am so glad to have gotten rid of a lot of the noises. Now I just hope I'm lucky and have no wrecks!

CarGirl

Last edited by cargirl2B; 12-09-2009 at 08:34 AM.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:24 AM
5 Year Member
That is a great post.... I did the same thing with a 79 Lincoln Town Car after rattles started after installing super heavy duty shocks.... I didn't have to worry about air bags or accidents because everybody got the hell out of the way of that huge barge.