Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

seat back for tall body?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 10:37 AM
seat back for tall body?

Do you know if anabody have made modification for place seat driver more back in the car?
I'm tall and i dont have enough place.Do you have some picture?
How you made it? Is it possible with security air bag?

Thank's

Old 11-13-2006, 12:20 PM
5 Year Member
Who are you Yao Ming?
My father is 6'4" and he's find with it not even all the way back....

Old 11-13-2006, 12:57 PM
Sorry, my question is not good! Is it possible to move back more the driver seat ?

Old 11-13-2006, 02:01 PM
5 Year Member
I believe the good Canadian person wishes to know if it is possible to move the driver's seat back any further than the factory-installed seat allows. Any modification would need to accomodate the airbags etc.

I do not know of any such modification that would allow this, but then I am not a tall person so I have not looked.

I know many folks have complained about the lack of driver's seat adjustment (which is standard on Jazz/Fits in other parts of the world), and some speculation that this might be because when the car was "flipped" from its right-hand-drive configuration the gas tank was NOT flipped and is taller on the left, which negates the possibility of installing a seat with those adjustment capabilities in the space--not enough room.

But back to the specific question: have any of you long-legged folks found a way to get enough legroom to be comfortable in this car?

Old 11-13-2006, 03:30 PM
I recall reading (on either this forum or Edmund's Fit Forum) that someone had a bodyshop move the seat tracks back 5 inches or so. Unfortunately, I can't find that thread now.

Old 11-13-2006, 03:47 PM
5 Year Member
hmmm, i like smaller cars, so maybe my idea of "fitting" is different from others. But I am 6'7" and i fit fine in the car (i always hate talking about this subject with this car... too many "fits"). MORE then enough head room, and the leg room is adequate. A telescoping steering wheel would have been nice, but not neccessary. Unless i get a huge truck or SUV, every car is roughly the same for me, so maybe i'm not the best person to respond

Old 11-15-2006, 10:59 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hondaful
I recall reading (on either this forum or Edmund's Fit Forum) that someone had a bodyshop move the seat tracks back 5 inches or so. Unfortunately, I can't find that thread now.
Before doing this, be sure you will still be able to configure the back seats every way you want to.

As built, when in cargo mode (seats folded to make flat floor in back) if you slide front seats back as far as they will go, the backseat headrests fit snugly underneath the front seats.

Also, "refresh mode" requires every bit of room available between front and back seats to achieve the chaise lounge-like back seat configuration.

Seems to me that both of these positions would be removed from the menu (for the driver, anyway) if you moved the front seat tracks back any distance at all.