Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

DIY Door Ding Removal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 08:23 AM
5 Year Member
Angry DIY Door Ding Removal?

Anyone know a way I can get a couple of door dings out without spending the $135.00 the local carwash wants for the fix?

Damn SUV's got me twice in a local parking lot.

Old 10-31-2006, 08:36 AM
5 Year Member
It kinda depends on where they are.

If you remove your door panel and can access the ding from the inside of the door, you *might* be able to work on it.

Most dent removal folks have a variety of specialized tools for working on these and for reaching hard to reach places (and the tools cost $$$.)

So, if you can get to it, then you can work on rolling it out. What to use depends on what you have laying around, and the severity of the ding. The general idea is to work from the outside of the ding, going around, and working towards the center of the ding. This is a TAKE YOUR TIME process, and a gentle process. You don't want to try to whack it out with something, you want to roll it out gently.

The pro's have a tool with a ball on the end of a rod where they roll the ding out. Of course, they have a variety of sizes, and bends in the rods, etc.

Maybe you could go watch the folks do their craft and pick up some tips from seeing what they do?

In short, if you cannot access it easily, you'll probably need to let them do it for you - unless you're willing to invest in the tools/training yourself.

Good luck!!

Old 11-13-2006, 03:57 PM
Frank Patrick
I did want to do it- but park often at airports. I installed body side moldings (same color) So far seems to work well.

Old 11-13-2006, 05:59 PM
5 Year Member
Side moldings!

Originally Posted by Frank Patrick
I did want to do it- but park often at airports. I installed body side moldings (same color) So far seems to work well.
Tell me more... I have been searching for those and only could find some in the UK for the Jazz version.

So who is tour vendor?

Old 11-14-2006, 12:58 AM
YEs who is the vendor! PLEASE!!!!

Old 11-14-2006, 10:04 AM
Frank Patrick
Exclamation

I got the 3M product, a PEP Boys, here in CA. It is about 3inches wide, self adhering, and paintable. You got a little time measuring/cutting, but it is easy to install. Of course I painted it first and it bends in real nice . As I said did not want to do it, but those huge, flat sides if the Fit, are just begging to get door dinged. Honda puts body side moldings on virtually all of its models, I wonder why, perhaps estetics, it did not on the Fit.