Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

That plastic sheet under my front end...

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 01:29 PM
5 Year Member
That plastic sheet under my front end...

Whatever you call this thing (see attached picture)... I screwed it up real good when parking behind on of those concrete dividers. It happened a week or two after I bought my Fit this past May.

The dealer said they would replace it for $50 plus labor.

Is this something I can get myself. Is it easy to do it myself?

Last edited by citizenkeith; 10-04-2006 at 01:34 PM.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:16 PM
5 Year Member
Put it up on a set of ramps and take it apart and see. It's not like you can mess it up! I've always looked at misfortunes like this as "opportunities" to see what I can learn from it, and about it.

Old 10-04-2006, 03:19 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
I'll bet you can just pop it back in there. Give it a shot! I think the whole point of it is to let you know when you're scraping, so you don't actually get to the point where you're doing lots of damage to your skirt.

Let us know what you find under there. If it ends up being beyond repair, $50 isn't too bad, but maybe you can just buy the part and install it yourself if you have the tools/time.

Old 10-04-2006, 03:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Packy
I'll bet you can just pop it back in there.
I can't. The sheet is attached in front by these plastic "bolts" to the frame (skirt?) (the bolts are not threaded or anything). The bolts go through the frame and through holes on the front of the sheet, holding up against the bottom of the frame. Those holes in the sheet are now open-ended, so the sheet can't be held up.

Sorry, I am not one for car terminology. Now I can talk about computers and musical instruments all day, but cars are a mystery to me.

I'm hoping somebody here might know the part number for this plastic sheet, and a good source to find one cheaper than $50.

Old 10-04-2006, 04:25 PM
5 Year Member
If what I am seeing is correct:

www.collegehillshonda.com
Select "Honda Parts Catalog" on the left
Choose Model: FIT
Year: 2007
Door/Version: 5DR FIT (whatever your model is)

System/Component: (whatever your tranny is)

Click on BUMPER

I think it is part #6, 71105-SLN-A00, which they have listed as $40.13 retail, $31.30 their selling price.

Old 10-04-2006, 04:30 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks David. Hmmm... doesn't look large enough in this picture. I'll give them a call though, or send them the photo.

I appreciate the help! That site is bookmarked now.

Old 10-04-2006, 04:52 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Good luck! Is your piece in good enough condition to reuse, or is it pretty much shot? I wonder if some washers would allow it to be help up still? I'm not exactly sure how it's all working under there without looking at my car, so sorry if that suggestion wouldn't work

Old 10-04-2006, 09:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Packy
Good luck! Is your piece in good enough condition to reuse, or is it pretty much shot? I wonder if some washers would allow it to be help up still? I'm not exactly sure how it's all working under there without looking at my car, so sorry if that suggestion wouldn't work
I looked at it today, and it doesn't look like I can make it work as it is now.

The good news is that, according to collegehillshonda.com, I need the above part. Only $31 and I can probably do it myself.

Thanks everybody for the help!!

Old 10-05-2006, 12:03 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Let us know how it goes!

Old 09-17-2012, 04:43 PM
unexpected plastic failures with 2007 Fit

I have had to replace the black driver's fender well, that black vertical piece described here, and now the big black pan protecting the transmission came off at the driver's side yesterday.

This post is in response to checking if this is unusual. I have not been 4-wheeling or driving through unpaved roads, etc. Anyone else experiencing this? Inside next to the seat rail, the plastic on the floor at the doorway is also popping out. The clips holding it in place are undersized. A good accidental stomp will break them.

The car is working very well otherwise. Very practical, nimble, fun car. (I didn't know they race these cars in Japan! Check youtube.)

Old 09-17-2012, 04:55 PM
5 Year Member
Did ya happen to notice the date on this thread?

Old 09-18-2012, 08:48 PM
5 Year Member
We haven't seen as many "failures" as magaphoto, but I can attest that the plastic push-pins that retain a lot of the plastic shields do fatigue and cause things to come loose. This, on all our Hondas, not just the Fit.

Our plastic undertray (the thing that came off for the OP) on our '07 started to droop down at it's rear edge, so I cable-tied it up, level.