Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

A/C DEFROST Mode questions,answers, solutions

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 12:20 AM
The A/C comes on automatically with the FRONT defroster; the rear defroster is hot wires, not ventilation, and so is not connected to the A/C.

Old 11-22-2006, 12:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2hot6ft2
Disconnected mine today. Once the lower climate control cover is removed the plug can be easily unpluged.
I tried last night, after struggled with the clips, got the cover off but couldn't loosen the screws so I gave up. So you don't have to take the whole unit out but just the lower cover?

Thanks

Old 11-22-2006, 12:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wk406
I tried last night, after struggled with the clips, got the cover off but couldn't loosen the screws so I gave up. So you don't have to take the whole unit out but just the lower cover?

Thanks
Yes, just the lower cover.

Old 11-22-2006, 01:12 PM
5 Year Member
Yes, just the lower cover. One screw under the center dial. You'll need a short philips screwdriver since the cupholder gets in the way of a longer one. Once you drop the lower cover, look up under the vent selector and you will see the plug. It splits right off.

Old 11-22-2006, 06:23 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks
Right, just the lower cover. Use a flashlight so you can see the clip and wires. On the right side (looking at it) there is are large black and yellow lines which I think are cables. That's NOT what you're after.

The wires are very small and the clip is easy to miss so a flashlight helps a lot.

Old 11-23-2006, 01:20 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for all your reponses, will give it a try again this weekend.

Old 11-25-2006, 08:03 PM
5 Year Member
Did the mod today, it's quite easy once you know where everything is. took less than 10 min. Thanks again for the info guys.

Old 11-25-2006, 08:31 PM
5 Year Member
Did the mod today, it's quite easy once you know where everything is. took less than 10 min. Thanks again for the info guys.
You're welcome. See it wasn't that hard once you know what you're looking for.

Old 11-26-2006, 03:52 PM
A/C DEFROST Mode questions,answers, solutions

now that i'ved disabled the a/c on the defrost mode..........will i see any gas mileaged improvement or any hp gain?????? are there any benefits to disabling it.

thanks for any feedbacks

Old 11-26-2006, 05:17 PM
5 Year Member
This is where you monitor how the car feels and your gas mileage and tell us...

Old 11-26-2006, 05:21 PM
5 Year Member
Why would you do this? The only "benefit" I can think of is your defrost would not work nearly as well?

Old 11-26-2006, 06:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jetydosa
Why would you do this? The only "benefit" I can think of is your defrost would not work nearly as well?
Because I can choose wheather the compressor runs or not. During certain conditions the fan and heated air is enough to clear the glass. At other times when this is not the case I can activate the compressor by simply pressing the AC button. The automatic compressor operation during defrost is one of the things I have hated about all the cars I have owned in the last 20 years and have disabled it on the ones where it was easy to do (including the Fit).

Old 11-28-2006, 01:41 AM
5 Year Member
Mines is done! =)

Old 11-29-2006, 01:59 PM
5 Year Member
Fot mine done at lunch today.

I was able to use a regular phillips-head screwdriver (didn't need a shorty, which I have...)

Getting the clips out was a real b!tch. I dropped the glovebox out by removing the two screws on the bottom of it. Even with the, I could barely reach the right-hand clip. Finally, from brute force, it popped out.

Note to others, these are expansion clips rather than lock clips, meaning that they are kind of spring loaded plastic, rather than having a lock that holds them in. If you have some way to work around the bottom of the controls, you can pop it loose from there. It still isn't easy!

Once the cover is off it is simple. The connector just comes off using a small screwdriver to slide it backwards.

No cuts, but I almost got my head stuck inside the glovebox opening trying to find that darn clip!!!

Old 11-29-2006, 02:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wyy183
No cuts, but I almost got my head stuck inside the glovebox opening trying to find that darn clip!!!
I used a mirror on an extending rod to look behind the dash otherwise I would have been in the same boat.

Old 11-29-2006, 04:39 PM
5 Year Member
Getting your head stuck in the glovebox would really be a b!tch. I used a regular phillips screwdriver as well it's not all that close. And I pryed the panel loose with a flathead screwdriver, it wasn't real easy but it worked.

Old 11-30-2006, 08:01 AM
5 Year Member
So what, you guys trying to tell me my screwdrivers are too long? I was trying to use a ratcheting screwdriver and it was the one that was too long so I grabbed the stubby one to make sure it would Fit so I wouldn't have to go back to the toolbox again.

Old 11-30-2006, 04:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by eGadgetGeek
So what, you guys trying to tell me my screwdrivers are too long? I was trying to use a ratcheting screwdriver and it was the one that was too long so I grabbed the stubby one to make sure it would Fit so I wouldn't have to go back to the toolbox again.
Apparently so. At least you had one that would work. A stubby would be ideal for the job just the same.

Old 11-30-2006, 10:08 PM
5 Year Member
I'm just glad it was a Phillips screw instead of a Torx head. That is all my Dodge had and it was a pain trying to find the right size bits.

Old 12-01-2006, 04:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by eGadgetGeek
I'm just glad it was a Phillips screw instead of a Torx head. That is all my Dodge had and it was a pain trying to find the right size bits.
Or even worse the torx with the little stub on the screw side and the hole in the middle of the driver. Someones always got to come up with something to sell more tools just in case you think you have them all.

Quick Reply: A/C DEFROST Mode questions,answers, solutions