Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

USDM Lower radiator protection

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 05:50 PM
5 Year Member
Cool USDM Lower radiator protection

To start this off, before my FIT was 1 month old I had 2 birds each on different occasions fly into my radiator while driving down the Hwy.. That nice big opening at the bottom that offers no protection for the radiator. So here is my solution. Now that I finally had time to get around to it.

First the opening in question. That's it at the bottom.

The tools needed: Just a pair of wire cutters and some 8" cable ties will do.

The material I decided to use for the mod. It's just a rain gutter guard to keep leaves out of rain gutters. From any home improvement center. Cost was $1.45 including tax.

First off had to trim 3" off each end making it 30" long, it's already 6" wide. I did it off each end rather than just one end that way it left the clips on the piece I planed on using. I cut it with the wire cutters.

Since I planed on leaving it unpainted (it's galvinized). On to putting it in the grill. This was simply removing 4 plastic clips. 2 on each side of the hood latch and sliding it in. Clips down, bow to the front (it just fit good that way).

Once it was in place I used the clips to secure it to the plastic edge on the bottom starting from the drivers side (reason being there is less play on the drivers side due to air ducting). Then just started using the cable ties to secure it working my way accross to the pass. side.

As you can see it kinda pulled out a little at the bottom so I found a screw clip and used it to hold it in better by putting the clip on the plastic at the bottom. I'll add more later 1 was all I had lying around.

Once all the ties were in place all that was left was to check them all and cut the excess with the wire cutters and put the plastic clips back in.

Here's the new look. The ties aren't really noticable since I put them as high as I could so they can't be seen when looking downward at it. And I used white ones because I already had them on hand. If I decide I don't like the white later I can either use a permanent marker to make them black or just replace them with black ones.

I thought that since I have some vinyl siding lying around I would add one last touch.

The lower teeth didn't work out that good so just uppers for now.

Old 09-04-2006, 06:19 PM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
haha! i love the teeth.. reminds me of the commercials

Old 09-04-2006, 06:30 PM
5 Year Member
Glad you like them.

Old 09-05-2006, 10:27 AM
vbo
Nice idea, but you can fold the grill and use polyurethane glue for fix it. and before, cut the black anti-cat plastic grill.

Old 09-05-2006, 11:03 AM
thats going to end up rusting and looking like crap...you may want to take it out and paint it black.

Old 09-05-2006, 05:25 PM
5 Year Member
claymore
Thanks, but I like fitfreak for the forum name if it's all the same to you.

vbo
Why would I want to fold it ? I may find some plastic clips but I'm not going to glue it because I may want to remove it at a later time and paint it if it starts rusting. Anti-Cat grill ? you mean there was a reason for the design ? Now it's both a "anti-cat" and an anti-bird grill. I don't want to cut the grill either, I put it behind it to improve it functionality not to replace it.

TheDanger
It may rust in time so I made it so it can still be removed if needed. But if I paint it I wont paint it black. Chrome maybe. Or I may take it to work and have it plated. Yellow zinc would go with my yellow window tint.

I could have used a vinyl gutter guard. But, where I live it would turn green with mold since I live in a humid part of the country. And in the winter if a bird hit it, it would just shatter and not offer any real protection.

I made my choices for reasons which I felt were valid. If you wish to modify or change it to what you feel would work better for you then by all means be my guest.

Old 09-06-2006, 01:17 AM
vbo
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 2hot6ft2

vbo
Why would I want to fold it ? I may find some plastic clips but I'm not going to glue it because I may want to remove it at a later time and paint it if it starts rusting. Anti-Cat grill ? you mean there was a reason for the design ? Now it's both a "anti-cat" and an anti-bird grill. I don't want to cut the grill either, I put it behind it to improve it functionality not to replace it.
Hehehe...
Yes, anti-cat.... lol... It's big "grill" to prevent a tree come into the radiator...

Ha ok, i had not understand you don't whant replace it. sorry.

Last edited by vbo; 09-06-2006 at 01:20 AM.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:25 PM
5 Year Member
that's pretty slick man nice job. I love this forum, never ending source of ideas to try.

Old 09-06-2006, 06:21 PM
5 Year Member
Talking Thank you

Originally Posted by vbo
Hehehe...
Yes, anti-cat.... lol... It's big "grill" to prevent a tree come into the radiator...

Ha ok, i had not understand you don't whant replace it. sorry.
Too funny. Sure hope that's a slow moving tree. No problem, you had some good ideas and there's no need to apologise. You just looked at it a little differently than I did. I think it would look good if the screen was in front too which would make it pretty close to what you had in mind. But I have a Hornet Deer Avoidance Variable Sonic Wave Generator from http://www.xp3hornet.com/products.shtml in the front so it was in the way of going about it from that direction as well. See.

And yes it is supposed to be pointed at a 45 degree angle to the road surface. I've seen 2 vehicles come within a few feet of a coyote that was feeding on the side of the road and it didn't even flinch. When I got about 1/4 mile from it, it looked up, looked at my car and took off so I know it heard it. I wired it to a lighted toggle switch which I mounted next to the power mirror control. Here.

Man I need to clean my dash...lol.

Originally Posted by Hasafraker
that's pretty slick man nice job. I love this forum, never ending source of ideas to try.
Thank you, and you'll find lots of ideas in here. Don't be afraid to change them to suite your own tastes and let us see what you come up with.

Old 09-07-2006, 04:12 PM
2hot6ft2:

I like what you did. Very practical and the 'teeth' are great! My only problem with birds is that no matter where I park esp at home and even at night a bird or two find the time to crap on my car! And only on the front hood: nothing on the roof! I hosed the care last night and got ALL the crap off and in the morning... go figure...

Old 09-07-2006, 04:34 PM
5 Year Member
Talking Thanks

Originally Posted by docjim2
2hot6ft2:

I like what you did. Very practical and the 'teeth' are great! My only problem with birds is that no matter where I park esp at home and even at night a bird or two find the time to crap on my car! And only on the front hood: nothing on the roof! I hosed the care last night and got ALL the crap off and in the morning... go figure...
Have you considered a clear bra ? It wont stop the birds from going on your hood but at least they wont be going on the paint and it would help protect it from rocks being thrown from the road and damaging your paint.

Old 09-07-2006, 05:06 PM
5 Year Member
Hmmmm...

It would look hilarious if you took one of those pink bath mats that fit around the base of a toilet, and tucked the feet up under it and stuffed the edge of it in the opening - then took a picture of it. The "cat" would be sticking its tongue out at you!

Old 09-07-2006, 07:53 PM
5 Year Member
Talking Lmao

Originally Posted by DewaltDakota
Hmmmm...

It would look hilarious if you took one of those pink bath mats that fit around the base of a toilet, and tucked the feet up under it and stuffed the edge of it in the opening - then took a picture of it. The "cat" would be sticking its tongue out at you!
Excellent idea. And I would do it if I had a pink one. And if I had a realistic looking stuffed animal like a cat or bird I could put it on its tounge. If I get the opportunity I'll do it.

Old 09-07-2006, 09:01 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks to your posting the material you used, I tried a diff. grille cover
install.

I had to flatten it and cut the top for the Lic. holder, it's a press fit and
now I have the pattern I may paint another black for a diff. effect.

Also, I don't think galvenized metal used for a gutter guard is going to rust.

[/img]

Old 09-07-2006, 09:14 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up You're welcome

Originally Posted by willmax11
Thanks to your posting the material you used, I tried a diff. grille cover
install.

I had to flatten it and cut the top for the Lic. holder, it's a press fit and
now I have the pattern I may paint another black for a diff. effect.

Also, I don't think galvenized metal used for a gutter guard is going to rust.

[/img]
Very nice. That looks really good especially on the silver Fit. Too Cool . I hope it wont rust but it may in time, I have seen galvenized rust before. No biggie if it does I'll just make sure it doesn't do it twice.

I was wondering how it would look in front. Thanks for posting the pic.

Old 09-07-2006, 11:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2hot6ft2
Excellent idea. And I would do it if I had a pink one. And if I had a realistic looking stuffed animal like a cat or bird I could put it on its tounge. If I get the opportunity I'll do it.
Too bad they don't make a model of the Yaris, yet ... you could put THAT on it's tongue!

Old 09-08-2006, 12:06 AM
5 Year Member
u guys get low flying birds? here in cali our birds are a little smarter they stay above the windshield lol. nice diy tho.

Old 09-08-2006, 12:31 AM
hoorray california birds!!!

Old 09-08-2006, 04:48 PM
5 Year Member
Talking Ok, here it is with a tounge.

Originally Posted by DewaltDakota
Too bad they don't make a model of the Yaris, yet ... you could put THAT on it's tongue!
Only if it was spitting it out.

Originally Posted by koolkevin1107
u guys get low flying birds? here in cali our birds are a little smarter they stay above the windshield lol. nice diy tho.
Yes, 2 stupid Cardinals. But then if you put a mirror in front of a Cardinal it will attack its own reflection until it dies. Pathetic as it is, it can be entertaining. I grew up in Las Vegas so it was a surprise when I worked at a place out here in Alabama that had reflective tinted widows that were only about 1" off the ground and saw this bird attacking its reflection for about an hour. And thanks.

Here it is with a tounge.

Old 09-08-2006, 05:31 PM
5 Year Member
I have done the grill after I saw my friends radiator fins are bad from the rocks, but my grill wasn't something fancy, as I bought the ones that they use for home windows, will at least it does the job.

Quick Reply: USDM Lower radiator protection