Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

USDM Lower radiator protection

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 05:52 PM
5 Year Member
kimo
It doesn't have to be fancy as long as it protects the radiator.

Old 09-09-2006, 10:15 PM
5 Year Member

OMG ... that is (Fit) freakin' hilarious!

Is your hood latch popped in that picture?

Old 09-09-2006, 10:32 PM
5 Year Member
Yes it is.

Old 09-10-2006, 02:51 PM
Birds

Just how large were the birds? I guess you live rural. My radiator has plastic protection that came with the car and I haven't any problems with either my lowered Accord or my Fit.

Old 09-10-2006, 03:38 PM
5 Year Member
They're not very big

Originally Posted by docjim2
Just how large were the birds? I guess you live rural. My radiator has plastic protection that came with the car and I haven't any problems with either my lowered Accord or my Fit.
Their not big birds, about the size of a Sparrow. And yes I live in the Country (a.k.a. the sticks). It doesn't take much to bend radiator fins.
Size: 20-23 cm (7.5-9 in)
Wingspan: 25-31 cm (9-12 in)
Weight: 40-48 g (1.40-1.69 ounces)

Imagine taking about 1.5 ounces of something (a paper bag of sugar for example) and throwing it into your radiator fins at 70mph + the speed the bird is flying at.

Old 09-10-2006, 04:33 PM
5 Year Member
I admire the combination of practicality and creativity -- I'm all thumbs, so I have to stick with what I've got. Just wondered if any types of mods violate the warranty (?)

Old 09-10-2006, 08:17 PM
5 Year Member
The only time a mod is going to have any effect on the warranty is if the mod can be proven to cause a problem, and leads to a problem or failure. In other words if the mod is the CAUSE of an issue which would otherwise be covered under warranty then it may be a problem.

These are just simple mods which are to help PREVENT damage which would be more likely to happen if left stock. Just like the birds flying into my radiator. Now they can't so I've IMPROVED the radiators protection without any significant reduction in the air flow to the radiator so the warranty is uneffected.

This CANNOT void the warranty. Think of it like putting a bra on your car to protect the paint. The bra doesn't void the warranty.

Old 09-29-2006, 03:51 PM
5 Year Member
2hot6ft2

This is all Japanese but see if you can pick out the Fit among these cars.
When you do, click on it. The one I saw has a new grille insert. Maybe they
saw ours? LOL

http://www.honda.co.jp/auto/

And check out the new one in the lower left corner, a Mini Fit?

Old 09-29-2006, 04:13 PM
5 Year Member
Cool Honda stole my idea..lol. Shame on them

Originally Posted by willmax11
2hot6ft2

This is all Japanese but see if you can pick out the Fit among these cars.
When you do, click on it. The one I saw has a new grille insert. Maybe they
saw ours? LOL

http://www.honda.co.jp/auto/

And check out the new one in the lower left corner, a Mini Fit?
Too funny. The yellow one, right ? It's sure a lot like our mod but they made it with plastic and I want the front bumper. Wonder if they plan on paying me for the idea ?

The mini is called "Life". Don't care much for the tail lights but it looks cute. Wonder what size engine it has. The Life Diva has a better looking front and it has the grill mesh too.

Thanks for the post. That's very interesting. Wish I could read Japanese.

I seriously doubt those will make it to the U.S.

Last edited by 2hot6ft2; 09-29-2006 at 04:16 PM.
Old 10-08-2006, 05:14 PM
kps
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
I couldn't find a eavestrough cover like 2hot6ft2's, so I used a piece of 3/8" mesh fence, sprayed flat black on the outside.

I took the bumper off (easy, and I was doing it anyway for my block heater plug) and attached it using a combination of screws (vertical arrows) and cable ties (horizontal arrows).

The result -- excuse the glare from the plate, as I had to bump the brightness to make the mesh visible --

Sorry, no teeth.

Last edited by kps; 10-08-2006 at 05:58 PM.
Old 10-08-2006, 06:41 PM
5 Year Member
Nice job. Don't know why you took the bumper off to do the block heater plug but it made for a good reason to protect the radiator. Looks like that will do the trick and help keep some trash, large insects and birds out.

We can't all have teeth otherwise mine wouldn't be as unique as it is.

One of these days I may find a reason to take my bumper off and I'll make it a little neater like you did.

By the way I don't see the block heater plug but I haven't been back to that thread yet so it may be there.

Old 10-22-2006, 03:59 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up Cleaned up the install.

While I had the bumper off to install the AC inlet for the block heater I figured it was a good time to clean up the install. So here's what I came up with.

First here is what it looked like with the cable ties and clips from the original install. This time with the bumper off.

I think the pic speaks for itself as to why I wanted to clean it up. It also gives the opportunity to see just what the birds did to the radiator.

After removing all the cable ties and the clips that were attached to the wire mesh I walked on it to make it flat as possable. Then I laid it where it was going and found I could trim away about 1 more inch from the end (again with the wire cutters).

Once I had it trimmed I figured out where to bend it and did so (I used a masons level since it was handy). This makes it fit great and covers the top of the opening.

Then I used my hot glue gun (If you don't have one I suggest getting one. Man it sure comes in handy and their less than $10 USD) and starting from the middle bottom and working my way outward secured it in place.

Now that looks a hell of a lot better than it did when I started.

Here is a pic for anyone that is curious about what the Fit looks like with the front bumper removed.

The cord that is hanging down is for my block heater which is why I had the bumper off and I'll be posting more in that thread next.

Old 10-23-2006, 01:56 AM
June 2007 1st Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
odd how birds tend to fly low...i have had some close calls

Old 10-23-2006, 05:08 PM
5 Year Member
Wink

Originally Posted by claymore
Hey you stole my engine cover..... I'm going out to check right now!!!! Nice job on the clean-up. when you use the hot glue gun when the glue dries is it flexible or dry solid?
Yours is a lot more evenly done where mine looks like it was shot with buckshot. I actually wish I had done it more like yours.

Thanks, I think it looks a lot better.

The glue dries semi solid. It's still flexable enough that you can still take it off with a little effort. Closest thing I can think of is silicone, just a little bit less flexable. It's NOT solid or brittle.

It can be used on a very wide variety of materials and I went with the 2 temp. gun so I can get the full use of it's abilities. You'll find it in the arts and crafts section of most any department store.

Originally Posted by Paulo107
odd how birds tend to fly low...i have had some close calls
Yes it is, the screen also helps keep trash and large insects from getting in to the radiator as well. It's amazing how much stuff it has stopped already. Definately a good mod. The new models have a similar plastic mesh there so I guess Honda stole my idea.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:48 PM
5 Year Member
Anybody tried using this material in the lower grill? Mesh grille, Universal 33.75"x16" black ABS: Electrodyne, Quality Motoring Accessories
I think it might make a decent match to the upper grill in the 09 Fit.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:32 AM
Awesumness

Just did this on Saturday :-)
it looks great! thanks for posting this it was extremely useful!