Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Windshieldwiper noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 01:30 AM
5 Year Member
BINGO!!! Reversing the blades worked for me, too. I did both and just in time as it's been raining quite a bit here lately and I was tired of hearing the "snorting pig" sounds of the blade chatter. Very innovative, astute observation/fix. Thank You!!

This should be made sticky in the DIY forum.

Old 10-11-2006, 07:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Spule 4
Just put the Bosch on, million times better.
Which Bosch that you are using?? Are you using the new style ICON?? but Bosch hard to find 15"

Old 10-19-2006, 03:37 PM
OK, so i had the noise on with my wipers while they were on the upswing.

I switched the blades last night and this morning, now I have the noise on the downswing!!!

Anyone else have this problem??

Old 10-19-2006, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by Yuf

I switched the blades last night and this morning, now I have the noise on the downswing!!!

You may have had a problem on just one of the wiper-blades on your car and if you switched both at the same time, you may have fixed one blade and created a problem on the other. Try a little more troubleshooting.

Good luck!

Old 10-19-2006, 08:19 PM
5 Year Member
I tried to Reverse the blades, but didn't work for me!! I got the New Bosch ICON for my Fit at Autozone!!!

Old 11-02-2006, 10:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Yuf

only my right blade was upside down. you need to look at the direction of the blade installation, and make them both right. instead of perhaps, making the problem move from one side to the other

Old 11-03-2006, 12:16 PM
5 Year Member
Hi,
I changed mine and it worked. So did they install them wrong??
Thanx

Old 11-04-2006, 12:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by coldstorage5
Hi,
I changed mine and it worked. So did they install them wrong??
Thanx
Nope, the wiper blades are installed correctly but with the noise issue the reverse install method is "more correct".

I have a new FIT with no noise but didn't wait for it to happen so after one month I had the dealership reverse the wiper blades for me. No problem.

I figure the blades get a bit bent one direction over time and the rubber ages with wear. If the blade rubs a certain way or has a non slick surface it might make noise. The rubber blade is different on each side (words on the rubber) so maybe that makes enough difference as the blade gets older.

Old 11-13-2006, 11:38 AM
5 Year Member
Stumbled across this Sticky at lunch on Friday, Friday after work before commute home I flipped it, started raining on the way home, and the noise was gone.

Old 11-13-2006, 12:22 PM
5 Year Member
I'm still amazed by how effective flipping the inserts is...I'm still gonna get some silicone blades but this defiantly is a must for all fits!

Old 11-16-2006, 09:53 PM
Flipped the passenger blade this a.m. after a painful couple of months dealing with the chatter. Thankfully I found the solution here, did not spend a penny on new blades and am now enjoying blissful silence!

Old 11-17-2006, 01:07 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sy11580
Which Bosch that you are using?? Are you using the new style ICON?? but Bosch hard to find 15"
No, using the old style made in Belgium, they have them down to 8 or 10", have ordered shorty ones for the back of my Toyota Camry wagon, Volvo 122, Citroen DS etc.

But they are going bye bye ASAP!

Why?

They are quiet but are leaving a NASTY film on the windsheld. The film is greasy and has the appearance of a "spider's web" and no amount of blade washing or windshield cleaning will make it go away. Two days of rain in Tennessee and 600 miles in it is nough.

I saved the OEM Honda ones, I will try the flip and order refils (one had a nick in it). I saved the Bosch boxes (with the Honda blades in them) and I will contact Bosch about the problem. I have used their wipers for years and never had this issue before.

Last edited by Spule 4; 11-17-2006 at 09:53 AM.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by edstroyer
I had a noise problem with my wiper blades and solved it by sliding the wiper blade out and reversing it.

On the wiper blades you'll see the words HONDA in braille, My wiper would "hop" and make a staggered rubbing noise right at the spot on the wiper blade where it said HONDA. The noise/hop would only occur when the blade was going up.

After reversing the blade, there is no more noise. Hope this helps...
This may be a dumb question: how do you slide out the blade? I tried it but I dont want to force it.

Old 12-28-2006, 09:44 PM
Originally Posted by Natloz
This may be a dumb question: how do you slide out the blade? I tried it but I dont want to force it.
Check out a prior post from this thread, you shouldn't hurt it if you're careful.

Old 12-29-2006, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by Natloz
Instructions on how to remove the wiper blades are also in the Fit's manual I believe.

Last edited by edstroyer; 12-29-2006 at 01:35 PM.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:50 PM
I bought Reflex from Canadian tire. They work great!

Old 03-28-2007, 01:34 AM
We have been using Reflex wipers from Canadian Tire ever since they came out. They last much, much longer and clean much better without skipping than regular wipers - and one needs all the help they can get in bad weather. As soon as the Honda wipers started skipping, I replaced them with the Reflex wipers - they install with no adapter necessary. 24" on the left. The 16" I used on the right may be an inch too long - but I didn't notice any problem. I used a regular Reflex on one side and a Reflex WetTec with a water repellent coating ($5 more) on the other. I didn't notice any difference, so the next time I will just buy the regular Reflex.

Old 03-29-2007, 01:43 AM
5 Year Member
shameless bump for my workplace or shameful heh, canadian tire! My drivers side wiper skips but to fix it you just have to take the rubber blade out and spin it around. At least that worked for my passenger side one.

Old 06-19-2007, 03:13 PM
5 Year Member
interesting, I haven't noticed a noise issue with my wipers, but I'll definately go home and make sure they're on the "right" way. Words going down right?

Old 06-19-2007, 05:34 PM
If it ain't broke...

Hey, AZ: If it isn't making noise, don't worry about it. I don't think there is a right or wrong way for the blades to go. Just seems some don't sound right the way they were installed. I suspect my car sat on a lot for too long in the sun and the blades warped the wrong way. Flipping them seems to have evened them out. But for you, if it ain't broke, don't "fix" it would be my advice. Enjoy your Fit!-ae

Quick Reply: Windshieldwiper noise