Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Best place to position Axle Stands?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 04:25 PM
Best place to position Axle Stands?

I'm going to have my fit on 4 axle stands this weekend while I sound-deaden the underside of the car.

Where is the best place to position the axle stands? "On the axles" seems like the obvious answer but a quick googling suggests that's not necessarily correct.

The owner's manual shows where to use a car jack, but I can't really put an axle stand in the same place as the jack (since the jack is in the way). Am I just supposed to get it as close as possible to the same location?

If anyone knows appropriate support points for axle stands, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Colin

Old 11-15-2013, 04:35 PM
How would one go about sound-deadening the underside of a car?

Sound deadening is applied from the inside...

Old 11-15-2013, 04:46 PM
Hey, who's asking the question here? :-)

I'm using "Spectrum Sludge" on the underbody. (Are we allowed mentioning specific products/brands in the forums? I'm kinda new here.)

We're also removing the interior carpet & seats and will be using damplifier + sludge there. If I can manage it, I'll be using both in the engine compartment, but the only way to reach the firewall from the engine-side is underneath.

-Colin

Last edited by colin_f; 11-15-2013 at 04:47 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-15-2013, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by neteng101
Ok I believe I have found the jack points on the GE8 but let's see what everyone says.

Front...

And the rear one...

If you want to put the car four wheels up "the right way" you'd better get a long, low hydro jack to reach the front jack point, it's pretty far back on the crossmember. The rear is easily accessible.

Old 11-15-2013, 05:34 PM
Unfortunately I'm not sure exactly what in each picture I'm supposed to be focussed on. In the last one, it seems like it's a point right in the center of the car (which seems like a dangerous way to jack up a car). Again: total n00b here, but that's the way it seems.

Also, I'm not sure where to put the stands once the car is jacked up. I'm sure I could use the jack points marked for changing the tires to get the car up, but then where does the stand go?

Thanks,
Colin

Old 11-15-2013, 06:00 PM
There's no worries using the middle jack points. The front one is on the front crossmember, the rear one is under the spare tire recess. I just jack up the front on the front crossmember, put the jack stands under the pinch welds in the front and then jack the rear on the rear jack point and then put the jack stands under the pinch welds in the rear (pinch welds = jack points marked to change your tires as you described it).

It's not dangerous, you're working with a triangle. Don't jack the front and rear jack points at the same time or your car will fall over

Front first, then rear. The rear is so light you can probably lift it with your arms and have someone throw the jack stands underneath

Old 11-15-2013, 06:31 PM
Ah-ha! I get it! Thank-you!

Old 11-15-2013, 11:33 PM
You can also lift the car under the front lower control arms to be able to put it on jack stands. You can use a 2x4 wood block or hockey pucks in the cradle of the floor jack to prevent metal to metal contact.

Old 11-16-2013, 05:23 PM
^yes I've done that method as well.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:55 PM
5 Year Member
Those pictures are excellent. When jacking up you want to use those points as it will allow you to get both sides of the car off the ground at the same time. When placing stands you do it roughly 1-2 inch from wheel. There will be two points or ruts/indents. That's where you out them. Just behind the mudflap for front wheels. The manual tells you where to Jack up, but that's where you want to place the stands if you are putting it up completely. I suggest putting the stands where the manual says to Jack it. The points right behind the tire. As for jacking it up, look for these two scquare pieces under the car in the centre. The rear is easier to see. Anyways the front is just passed oil pan in the front middle of car just passed the splash guard oil pan etc. you should see it. Look at the pics above.

And yes everyone have a laugh at the Jack it.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:22 AM
For extra safety you can put the jack back under either of the center jacking points and pump it up until the jack just touches the frame. You aren't trying to lift it at all. You are just trying to allow slight contact so you have a fifth point in case anything goes wrong. Its a little extra insurance and certainly wont hurt if its not in your way.

You can never be too safe when working under a vehicle. Be careful please.

Old 11-30-2013, 09:48 PM
5 Year Member
Apparently I've been using entirely wrong locations to lift the car to change tires each season. I think the tire shop that did the first tire change when the car was new also used the wrong place because both fenders are bowed out from the door panels by a millimeter or two.

I've been using a place closer to where the splash guards would be up front and then directly in front of the rear tires on a seam. I use a block of 2x4 between my jack and the car to spread the weight.

I'll take a closer look the next time I lift the car. I've looked multiple times and it's just so difficult to make out things under the car when they're all dirt-colored and dark.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:44 PM
Here's a picture of what I *think* is the correct lift point now (or stand point if using stands).

I put in a note to Honda saying I thought the manual could use some clarifying on this point. Intuitively, I was looking for somewhere flat and found the rocker panel instead of the actually lift point, on the lip between the underbody and rocker panel.

Last edited by colin_f; 11-30-2013 at 10:47 PM.