Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

2007 Fit coolant capacity

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013 | 09:55 PM
|
2007 Fit coolant capacity

I plan on draining the coolant (at the radiator, block and reservoir), flushing with distilled water, then refilling with new coolant; but I'm having trouble finding out capacities.

The owner's manual lists the following specifications for a 2007 MT Fit:

Change*: 1.00 US gallon (3.8 liters)
Total: 1.43 US gallons (5.4 liters)

*Including the coolant in the reserve tank and that remaining in the engine
Reserve tank capacity: 0.11 US gallon (0.4 liter)

These specs seem peculiar to me. Maybe I'm reading it wrong? But why is the amount that includes the coolant remaining the the engine and reservoir tank lower than the total? Is the additional 0.43 gallon (making the total = 1.43 gallons) possibly remaining in the heater core and hoses??? I'd like to do a flush, but if there's 0.43 gallon of water left in the system somewhere after flushing, then when I add Type 2 coolant to bring it up to capacity, it will be too diluted (somewhere around 1.43 parts water to 1 part concentrated coolant or a 70/30 water to coolant mix) If it's like that, then I'll pass on the distilled water flush. But if I'm reading those specs wrong. . .

And before anyone suggests it, I'm not interested in anything other than Honda Type 2. The blue KoolAid is already in there and I'm going to keep it that way. I want to do this to spec; but if possible, get a flush in there too.

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-15-2013 | 01:25 AM
Banned
Well if you are doing a total change you will need to buy two gallons anyway as they don't sell 1.43 gallon bottles LOL. So buy the two gallons and flush away. But be aware that you will probably run into the air in the system problems like most everybody doing a full flush and drain.

I like to drain and leave the petcock open then stuff the hose into the radiator top and seal around it with my hand and watch more coolant get power flushed out the petcock.

Do the drain and flush and fill to brim and remember to put some in the overflow. Then run the engine at idle for maybe 10 minutes watching out for the overheat red blinking light that MAY come on (not all the time) if the light comes on turn off immediately or wait the ten minutes.

Then WALK AWAY for at least an hour leaving the hood open so it cools off faster have lunch or something. Then recheck the fluid level in the radiator and overflow add as necessary and you should be done. But I usually check mine the next morning when it's cold and sometimes it needs an inch or so on both spots to top it off.

Last edited by loudbang; 10-15-2013 at 01:30 AM.
Old 10-15-2013 | 08:08 AM
5 Year Member
I question the need to flush the system with the Type2. The "Blue Kool-Aid" keeps the system pretty clean.

Just drain what you can, then refill with the pre-mix that is available from dealers.

Before the Maintenance Minder, Honda's recommendation re: coolant was to do the initial drain & fill at 5 or 6 years, but after that do it every **three years**. The increased frequency makes up for the fact that not ALL the old coolant is removed during a service.

Old 10-15-2013 | 02:16 PM
|
The problem with doing drain, flush and refill is that the flush evidently (at least according to the owner's manual) leaves .43 gallon of water somewhere in the system. As Carbuff has suggested, I'm leaning toward drain and refill (sans flush) since the Blue KoolAid is really good at rust and grime inhibition. In this case, I wouldn't really have to worry about capacity either, since I can simply fill the radiator and the overflow reservoir to spec after a few heat/cool cycles.

EDIT:

I'd still be enlightened to know where that additional .43 gallon is hiding. After all, that's almost a third of the system's total capacity.

Last edited by wzard999; 10-15-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Old 10-15-2013 | 08:27 PM
5 Year Member
If you are keen on doing a flush, remember that Honda sells **STRAIGHT** undiluted Type2 in cold climates for extra protection.

"Honda Anti-Freeze/Coolant - Type 2 Extreme Cold Weather Concentrate"

So if you feel you have .43 gallon of distilled water remaining after you flush it, you can compensate by putting in the 100-Proof stuff!

Old 10-15-2013 | 10:48 PM
|
Originally Posted by Carbuff2
If you are keen on doing a flush, remember that Honda sells **STRAIGHT** undiluted Type2 in cold climates for extra protection.

"Honda Anti-Freeze/Coolant - Type 2 Extreme Cold Weather Concentrate"

So if you feel you have .43 gallon of distilled water remaining after you flush it, you can compensate by putting in the 100-Proof stuff!
Excellent!

Decisions, decisions. . .

Can anyone confirm that .43 gallon remains after draining the radiator, block and reserve?