Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

I'm too Old...It's too Cold...

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 02:53 AM
5 Year Member
I'm too Old...It's too Cold...

So in Oregon through late October and November we generally go through a period where it get's cold, and rains a lot...then get's a little colder and clear. Or really cold and clear.

When I was younger? During those cold but clear periods, I'd detail my vehicle, braving the cold to wax and polish..or do whatever was needed.

Now? I'm too old...it's too cold. But I still care.

During the Summer Months, early Fall, I try to keep a real coat of wax/protectant on the vehicle. My new approach to winter? Well, basically ignore how the vehicle looks more, after all, it's usually raining. Rain can be the great equalizer, basically everyone's car simply looks "wet". So on one level? Who cares?

But when we get the clear but very cold breaks? My routine now is to go to the dreaded drive thru Car Wash. Yes, I do it.

Then I drive home. I then use Meguiars Quik Wax. I can pretty quickly apply it to the entire vehicle, even if I can see my breath while I do it.

And that's basically it.

And that seems to work. The vehicle may not look quite as "Mid-Summer" detailed, but it looks pretty good.

I know people have their own rituals, beliefs and protocal. I'm not necessarily trying to sell mine.

I would be interested in what others do, as far as winter exterior maintenance. I don't own a garage, so there is little choice but to deal with the elements.

It just is the reality that at this age, I don't have the stanima or strength to do the full out Wash, Wax, Protect detail that I can do during the summer.

Therefore this is the compromise I've embraced.

Any other winter tips?

Old 11-11-2012, 04:25 AM
5 Year Member
Take it to a professional detailer. That is what I usually do in the winter. I have a garage, but my old car is in there, so I am in the same boat as you.

Old 11-11-2012, 05:19 AM
5 Year Member
I am really old and hate winter when it comes to car maintenance.
I use a touchless car wash every couple of weeks. Come Spring clay bar to start. My paint still looks like new.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:43 AM
5 Year Member
I have a guy coming to fix my A/C because it is still too warm here to sleep with the windows open... We had a 2800 square ft. metal building put up 7 years ago to keep our tractor and 4 of the cars in.. The Fit has only good cleaning and waxing once and the Forester just gets hosed off at a car wash.. Keep your vehicles and equipment inside out of the elements and they look nice longer without needing much attention.... Old age is a bitch.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:44 AM
5 Year Member
When it's too cold I'll grab a Dunkin Donuts coffee, a couple of chamois towels, and a spray bottle of wax as you dry spotless stuff, and wheel cleaner, go to the touch less self service, with undercarriage wash. I spray the wheels before driving through. When I get through the wash, I park for a few minutes and dry off with the chamois and spray as you dry wax. I'll open all the doors, and hatch to clean off the door jambs and crevices.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:05 AM
5 Year Member
Rampo, do you have a recommended car wash? I live near Dedham but just moved in so I don't know...and no garage so in the same boat. Never had one, actually, so I don't miss it.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:41 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rampo
When it's too cold I'll grab a Dunkin Donuts coffee, a couple of chamois towels, and a spray bottle of wax as you dry spotless stuff, and wheel cleaner, go to the touch less self service, with undercarriage wash. I spray the wheels before driving through. When I get through the wash, I park for a few minutes and dry off with the chamois and spray as you dry wax. I'll open all the doors, and hatch to clean off the door jambs and crevices.
Either you aren't all that old or you haven't accumulated many hard miles.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:43 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fujisawa
Rampo, do you have a recommended car wash? I live near Dedham but just moved in so I don't know...and no garage so in the same boat. Never had one, actually, so I don't miss it.
Fujisawa, I like the Rojo carwash on Rte 1 (69 Providence Highway) on the Dedham Norwood, Westwood line. Drive around the back where they have the two bays, not the one with the attendant. There's a self service pay terminal that takes cash or credit. I usually get the regular wash with undercarriage wash. The wash itself is a large automatic sprayer that does a pretty good job without actually physically touching your car or causing any damage. There's a 60 second dryer that goes off while you're driving out. The car is still wet enough when done that you can still hand dry with a chamois and spray wax detailer. Enjoy.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:55 AM
5 Year Member
This week felt some of your problem, but here it is short. We were down to 38 early morning but by 10 it was 65, by afternoon I was working up a sweat at 80. This time of year we can wait a few hours and the temperature will be right for the job.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:52 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
Either you aren't all that old or you haven't accumulated many hard miles.
Texas Coyote, you might be right. I'm only 64.

Old 11-11-2012, 03:19 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
I'm 56 and still want to keep the Fit looking good. I have hand washed at home in 33 degree weather when it was really dirty. Most of the time I will sneak down to the local car wash and quickly rinse the car off. If no one is around out comes my bucket with shampoo and microfiber mitt ready to add in some warm water and hand wash! This way I don't have to hook up my own hose and can do a good job of rinses off salt with the power washer. I pull out of the bay to hand dry or do it as soon as I am home in the garage. I've only gotten caught once by the owner of the car wash who even though I spent 7 dollars to use his water, told me I was stealing from him by not using his disgusting brush and cheap soap.

Old 11-11-2012, 03:33 PM
5 Year Member
Hey Cat! I did the same at car washes when I was a district manager for a newspaper and worked during the wee hours of morning... Never got caught either..

Old 11-11-2012, 03:48 PM
Banned
Here in No. Central Coast CA, it also "gets cold", but certainly not the cold of the Mid West or East Coast. I don't mind a wet car as long as all the cars on the road are also wet, but I hate the accumulation of "road silt" on the doors. If some manufacturer would ever come up with a set of attractive and effective mud flaps for GE Fits, I would buy and install them immediately regardless of cost. So far, I have not seen anything that matches that description.

My 63 years have nothing to do with my willingness or ability to maintain my car, but if I lived in freezing temperatures, that would probably be a different story.

So, unless an absence of rain is predicted for at least three weeks when my Fit needs a wash, I just leave it dirty except for the glass. But every spring begins with a complete detail job done only by me, and several more detail jobs will be done over the summer and fall. Why detail or even wash my car if it will be just as dirty from road silt in the next rainstorm that will hit in a couple of days?

How often your car needs a wash depends a lot on where you live. Flat land urban drivers whose cars live on city streets and freeways don't accumulate as much dirt during stormy weather as those in suburban, mountainous terrain where dirt washes onto the roads from hillsides with every single storm. But the folks in the "snow belt" have the added maintenance worry of keeping road salt off the frame and body as much as possible. I am very glad that I don't have salt to contend with, and feel sorry for those who do.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:15 PM
5 Year Member
Fujisawa, I like the Rojo carwash on Rte 1 (69 Providence Highway) on the Dedham Norwood, Westwood line. Drive around the back where they have the two bays, not the one with the attendant. There's a self service pay terminal that takes cash or credit. I usually get the regular wash with undercarriage wash. The wash itself is a large automatic sprayer that does a pretty good job without actually physically touching your car or causing any damage. There's a 60 second dryer that goes off while you're driving out. The car is still wet enough when done that you can still hand dry with a chamois and spray wax detailer. Enjoy.
Awesome, thank you! Honestly, I don't wash our car that often .. it's just going to get dirty and luckily white looks OK .. but I DO like to do one in spring and fall at least, and I have been too busy to do fall yet and it's getting real cold Already put the hose away!

Old 11-11-2012, 10:20 PM
5 Year Member
It gets cold here and they salt the roads so cars take a beating in the winter. There are detailers around however 10 minutes on the road after it snows and the salt the car looks like it has not even been washed. I am actually looking to move to the Dallas Texas and out of the New York not because of the weather.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:21 PM
It never gets to freezing during the day in my part of the woods but I'm old too and today I washed the Fit in about 50 degree weather which for me is too cold so I can definitely sympathize with those of you that do it in colder climates.

Takes loger to dry too with the colder air.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:46 PM
i'm a young gun, but i live in an urban setting which makes it difficult to do a hand wash on a regular basis. my solution is to use "waterless" detailing sprays very frequently. basically, every other day as i get home from work, i take the time to wipe down the fenders and door panels where most of the "road silt" manages to accumulate. oh, and the top of the rear bumper, too... damn hatchbacks!

p.s. i'm with triskelion. i want some nice flaps all the way around!

Old 11-12-2012, 10:56 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i handwash my dd's on my driveway as long as the temp is 34F and im not slipping on ice. i wear thick rubber gloves and water resistant gear top to bottom. im not cold at all...

but once temps dip into freezing, there's really not much i can do as my garage houses 2 cars in hibernation. otherwise, i would use a water-less wash like Griot's SprayOn CarWash inside the garage.

but i still wouldn't be able to get rid of the salt on the undercarriage, so i stick my car though a higher-quality carwash place once every 2 weeks.

and in the Spring, do a thorough wash top and under the car.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:59 AM
5 Year Member
Texas Coyote, you might be right. I'm only 64.
I'll be 63 in 3 months... I don't mind cold temperatures and used to really love working in snow and driving on ice... I think I worked too hard for too much of my life though... It's the way the cold damp winters aggravate my arthritic bones that keeps me from doing much of anything... I eat morphine daily regardless of the weather and still hurt like hell.. I had to finally turn on the heater in the house early this morning so it looks like we may be having an early taste of winter.. It's normally early December before we need heat.

Old 11-15-2012, 06:54 AM
5 Year Member
Hmm, 56, 63, 64....I'm only 45....

Maybe I'm not too Old..maybe I'm just young and Lazy?

Thanks Guys....you've cheered me up....

Quick Reply: I'm too Old...It's too Cold...