Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Crack in main housing of transmission

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 12:28 AM
Crack in main housing of transmission

Firstly, I'll say it's good to be back... once the newness of the fit wore off unfortunately I got occupied with other things... browsing around has been fun, and I'll try not to drop off the face of the earth.

I was hoping to come back anyway and post a thread asking for opinions on what to upgrade my 2009 Fit Sport with, but unfortunately I was an idiot

I had gotten off a 48 hour shift at the firehouse, was pretty darn tired, and forgot to remember that before these railroad tracks there's a rather sharp dip you need to creep over at an angle. By creep I mean less than 5 MPH. I hit it going at least twice that. I'm not sure if "bottomed out" is the correct term as I was going down a dip, not over the ridge, but either way the bottom of the car made contact with the ground. I now have a crack in the housing of my transmission now (5 speed sport shifter AT), and I'm no mechanic but I'm guessing the whole thing will have to be replaced. It's leaking transmission fluid, but not too rapidly. I have 3 quarts of the genuine honda stuff just in case so I can limp to a repair shop tomorrow.

Anyone have any idea on how much it'll cost to get this fixed? I'm preparing for the worst case scenario of a complete overhaul or replacement, which I'm assuming will cost 2-3k at a minimum. I'd be happy to be pleasantly surprised with a lower cost, but I'm expecting my savings to get wiped out fixing this thing.

Thanks all for the help in advance,

Erik

PS for those of you wondering, yes that little plastic shroud piece thing got ripped off from under the front bumper as well.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:37 AM
5 Year Member
A "good" professional welder may be able to patch the crack permanently. It's worth calling around for opinions. Even JB weld "might" hold for while if you can keep it dry of oil long enough to heal up.

I once had a cracked aluminum head on a Isuzu Trooper that everyone said had to be replaced with new. I pulled the head and took it to a pro machine shop who welded the aluminum head and checked all surfaces - lasted another 40,000 miles before i sold the trooper with no sign of a problem.

Originally Posted by FirefighterErik
Firstly, I'll say it's good to be back... once the newness of the fit wore off unfortunately I got occupied with other things... browsing around has been fun, and I'll try not to drop off the face of the earth.

I was hoping to come back anyway and post a thread asking for opinions on what to upgrade my 2009 Fit Sport with, but unfortunately I was an idiot

I had gotten off a 48 hour shift at the firehouse, was pretty darn tired, and forgot to remember that before these railroad tracks there's a rather sharp dip you need to creep over at an angle. By creep I mean less than 5 MPH. I hit it going at least twice that. I'm not sure if "bottomed out" is the correct term as I was going down a dip, not over the ridge, but either way the bottom of the car made contact with the ground. I now have a crack in the housing of my transmission now (5 speed sport shifter AT), and I'm no mechanic but I'm guessing the whole thing will have to be replaced. It's leaking transmission fluid, but not too rapidly. I have 3 quarts of the genuine honda stuff just in case so I can limp to a repair shop tomorrow.

Anyone have any idea on how much it'll cost to get this fixed? I'm preparing for the worst case scenario of a complete overhaul or replacement, which I'm assuming will cost 2-3k at a minimum. I'd be happy to be pleasantly surprised with a lower cost, but I'm expecting my savings to get wiped out fixing this thing.

Thanks all for the help in advance,

Erik

PS for those of you wondering, yes that little plastic shroud piece thing got ripped off from under the front bumper as well.

Old 07-14-2012, 06:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by AC7880
A "good" professional welder may be able to patch the crack permanently. It's worth calling around for opinions. Even JB weld "might" hold for while if you can keep it dry of oil long enough to heal up.

I once had a cracked aluminum head on a Isuzu Trooper that everyone said had to be replaced with new. I pulled the head and took it to a pro machine shop who welded the aluminum head and checked all surfaces - lasted another 40,000 miles before i sold the trooper with no sign of a problem.
A guy I work with used JB weld on his transmission and it's been working for a while. It's an impala and I have no idea how the crack compares to yours but it worked for him.