Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Just had 2 blow outs, new tires, new weird feeling! Help noob

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 02:19 PM
Just had 2 blow outs, new tires, new weird feeling! Help noob

So I recently purchased my fit about a month ago now. It's an 07 sport AT with 54000miles.

I recently went on a trip to Houston this past weekend with 2 of my friends, leaving from DFW. I raised the air pressure in my tires from 34 to 36 all around. Left for Houston around 6pm got there around 11 and as soon as we entered the area the roads when from "alright" to "major shit." it was storming the whole night and day on the way there, streets were flooded on top of the already horrible roads. You couldn't see anything. Even driving at 15 to 20 my car was still eating the nastiest potholes and roads. Pretty much unavoidable with no way to see.

Later that night (or morning rather) we were making a right on red only to drive maybe 10 yards to make another right into ihop and just before we pulled in we heard a huge gunshot sort of sound. Needless to say my two passenger side tires were blown, and my driver side front looked as if it was ready. Jesus...

The next day we got my car to a discount tire where I got 3 new tires put on. The one that was on my driver side rear was moved to the front driver side.

On the drive back home, I started noticing a weird sort of vibration under my feet when I'm driving and I get up to about 30 to 45 mph, is where you can really feel it (3rd and 4th gear). It almost feels as if it's something rotating/loose judging by the pattern it seems to have. My steering wheel is fine, there are no major noises that I can hear. But this feeling was not there before. It feels a little more rough and I swear I feel something under my feet vibrating...

Any ideas on what this could be?? I just had my two front tires re balanced in hopes that would fix it, nothing. So now it's led me to believe it's something suspension wise, or could it possibly be something to do with my transmission or anything?

Not even sure, andy and all advice/help would be awesome!

-Logan

Old 05-18-2012, 02:50 PM
5 Year Member
I have the same problem. Knowing by knowledge I think it's the camber wear . I have recently rotated my two rear tires to the front which obviously has more tread. After Hearing the noise I took the wheels off. I notice the inner wheel tread had lumps due to camber wear. Took some time and just drove my car.. Now that all the tread is even, the vibration is gone. Hopefully that's the same vibration we are talking about. Unless its a really loud noise then it might be your bearing.

Old 05-18-2012, 02:54 PM
Bad wheel balancing or bent wheel from you excursion through the warzone. Could be loose lugs too.

Take back to Discount Tire and have them check their work, they will do it for free. They can check for out of round or dented wheels with road force machines too. You should be able to go to any Discount Tire.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the replys guys

@bellzgd3 you know, there isn't much noise as there is a feeling. I'm going to check my tires when Ivey home and see if I notice what you were talking about with the camber wear.

@wanderer. I just took my car yesterday to the discount tire by my work, explained to them the situation and what I was feeling and asked for them to re balance my front tires in hopes that was it. When they were done, they didn't mention anything was wrong with my wheels but then again would they even say anything or even give it that good a look?
I can stand replacing a dented wheel, but I really hope it's nothing more serious than that or mAybe a bearing? It seems as if it has gotten a little worse since this past Saturday (the doomsday when everything happened)

Old 05-18-2012, 04:17 PM
5 Year Member
@wanderer @sloganmartin - my wheels have no bents or anything . I work on cars daily and one of my friend is a mechanic. When we rotated my tires they looked fine . The only thing I did wrong was that I rotated my tires after 7k miles. Soo much camber wear resulted in Odd lumps/ or grooves lot the wheel. Basically my inner tire was eating up more tread than the outer. And yes more vibration than noise is what I had. Eventually went away at a couple of long drives. Funny because I always ask my girl if she hears/ feelsit but she doesn't. Meaning only the driver feels/hears what the problem really is.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:11 AM
5 Year Member
A wheel can "Look Fine" but be out-of-true. Best to use a dial indicator to measure runout. I think the spec is really small...like .005 (that's five THOUSANDTHS)

Oh and do the measurement on the car, in case the hub is creating a wobble.

HTH

Old 05-21-2012, 09:53 PM
Thanks again guys.

So I've taken the wheel off replaced it with my donut and still felt the vibration there but times 10..So that took the original wheel/tire out I think.

Got the car jacked back up, removed the donut and inspected my hub. Nothing felt loose, checked bolts..pulled on my brake rotors nothing seemed loose..Thinking about taking it to Honda? Any ideas on that? Is there anything else I can check out myself to figure the problem out before taking it to Honda?

Thanks again for the feedback, as I'm finding it all very helpful.

(car seems to be riding a little harder now....)

Old 05-22-2012, 02:47 AM
5 Year Member
interested to see if you figure it out...sorry to hear about your troubles.