Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Does DIY Mods void warranty on NA Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 08:17 AM
Does DIY Mods void warranty on NA Fit?

Hey people,
I am thinking of adding a CAI and better muffler to my BOM NA Fit Sport, but Im sort of new to the tuner thing. I wanted to know if this sort of mod voids our factory warranty? I need to sell the idea of these mods to my wife, who shares the car with me, so no warranty=no mods.
Also, on a scale of 1-10, how difficult are these mods to do yourself? (I am a reasonably adept at things mechanical, but by no means a mechanic).
Thanks in advance.

Old 07-12-2006, 09:13 AM
5 Year Member
Well, basically the way it works is that when you install an aftermarket part, your "warranty" should still be valid for any problems if what you installed did not cause the problem.

For example. Lets say you install an aftermarket exhaust. And two months later, your power locks and power windows stop working. In this case, the Mod has nothing to do with the problem. So therefore, the dealer has to honor your warranty.

So before the dealer voids your warranty, they have to prove that what you installed is the cause of the problem you are trying to get fixed.

Keep in mind that with a CAI, you run the risk of getting hydrolock (water in the engine). In the event that this occurs and your engine seizes, the dealer will not cover the cost of replacing your engine.

Old 07-12-2006, 09:39 AM
Thanks for your reply.
Is their less (or no) risk of hydrolock with a Short RAM? How well does a valve, or a water shield for a CAI work for preventing hydrolock?

Old 07-12-2006, 05:25 PM
5 Year Member
There is basically no risk of hydrolock with a Short Ram, unless you drive through a lake.

You can get a bypass valve with a CAI, but I would just get a Short Ram instead.

Overall, hydrolock is relatively rare. Regardless, I just dont feel the benefits of a CAI is worth the potenital (and expensive) risk of hydrolock.