Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

DIY: Adjusting the Valve Lash (clearance)

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 10:31 AM
This looks like sticky material to me.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:02 PM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
Going to do this for a second time on my GD3 tonight im at 58k

Old 08-09-2013, 01:06 PM
5 Year Member
^^Twice in 58k mi.? What kind of problems were you experiencing?

I'm getting some vibration and roughness, so I'm thinking that I'm due for my second valve adjustment. My miles are 86k.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:11 PM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
I should do a before and after video..

shit is all clunky at idle

Old 08-30-2013, 10:59 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dewthedew
I should do a before and after video..

shit is all clunky at idle
This would be AWESOME if you did.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:41 AM
5 Year Member
I'm posting related question in this thread. Maybe loudbang can provide some insight.

How important is adjusting the valves when the engine is cold? On my recent adjustment, I put two fans on the engine and waited almost three hours. A digital thermometer read 91 degrees about 0.5 hrs. before I did the adjustment. Now, I am wondering if the engine simply has to be stone-cold before adjusting. (In the past, I have always adjusted at stone-cold temp.)

Thanks.

Old 08-31-2013, 01:58 AM
Banned
On a stock FIT that isn't used for racing to get every last drop of performance not much.

Just not steaming hot. Think about it for a minute how many people are driving around with 100,000 miles and have never done it with their clearences really messed up and some do not have problems even with virtually no clearance on the exhaust side.

What would happen it you did it with with a hotter engine is the parts are all expanded from the heat so if you set them at the stock correct clearance when the engine cooled down the clearance would increase which on the Fit is not a bad thing other than possibly more valve click when cold.

You can compensate infact most of the older engine repair manuals give both settings one set for hot and one set for cold.

All the different settings are just set with less clearance when hot. With a Fit I would be comfortable just using the tighter end of the stock settings and you will be fine except for on the exhaust as that tightens over time anyway that I would set to the middle of the stock range.

Old 08-31-2013, 02:33 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks, as always!

Old 09-12-2013, 01:38 PM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by junior40er
This would be AWESOME if you did.
i still havent adjusted my valves.. so you may be in luck

Old 11-19-2013, 08:10 PM
5 Year Member
I haven't made a post in a long time, but thought I'd chime in for my second valve adjustment. 104,000 on the odometer and just completed the adjustment again. This time had the wife and three year olds help. Well, the wife was help. Not sure about the boy. Took about 2 hours start to finish including prep and cleanup.

The valves were actually closer to spec this time than last, but 12 were a little out. All were a little loose. Adjusted back to spec and the Fit is running and sounds much, much better again. Wife is very happy!

Old 11-19-2013, 09:13 PM
5 Year Member
^^That's great GAFIT.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:18 AM
My 2012 sport has 35,700miles on it. Been getting cylinder 2 misfire on cold starts when outside temperature is close to or below freezing. Car is also quite a bit noisier when driving. From all of the reading i've done it sounds like coil pack or valve job is the solution to my problem. Is this something covered under the 36K warranty? Car has been babied by myself and all maintenance done as per manual. Should i fight them if they want to charge me since the car has less than 36K and is driven daily and not abused? How should i approach this issue with my rather new Fit and my local dealer? Going to the service dept. in an hour

Old 11-27-2013, 02:53 PM
5 Year Member
In your case, you should be under warranty. Just bring it to the dealer and state your symptom.

You may want to indicate to the service writer that plugs, coil packs, and valve adjustments seem to be the fixes.

Old 11-27-2013, 05:51 PM
dropped it off at south shore honda in valley stream, ny. Was told i HAD to sign off on $109 diagnostic fee to read the code even though i new what the code was and that i had to sign off on that just in case the diagnosis and/or repair are not under warranty for whatever reason such as "rat chewing threw wires..." etc etc etc. We'll see how they handle this whole service transaction. First time i've EVER brought one of my personal vehicles to a dealer for service. Never had new until the Fit.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:11 PM
5 Year Member
^^Indeed, let us know how it goes.

Old 11-29-2013, 02:59 PM
Just got a call to pickup the Fit. They said it was a bad cylinder 2 spark plug, they did the VSA software recall, and they said it passed an "EVAP test". I feel like the engine was excessively noisy before i took it in and i thought that was indicative of valve clearance issues. Loud ticking at idle. Excessive noise under normal driving. Anyway, I feel like they threw a plug in and called it a day because i'm so close to the end of the 36K warranty. Maybe they want me to come back in a couple thousand miles when i foul my next plug and get a $500 valve job. I take very good care of the car so what would cause a plug to go bad so prematurely? Going to get the car now and will report back on how she drives.

Old 11-29-2013, 08:54 PM
Let us know, my Fit ticks and clacks like crazy.

Also, I would recommend having the other plugs changed as well

Old 11-30-2013, 08:35 AM
Originally Posted by 13fit
Let us know, my Fit ticks and clacks like crazy.

Also, I would recommend having the other plugs changed as well
If it was up to me they would replace all 4 plugs while
They had it apart but since it's a dealer they would only replace the one in cylinder 2 that was causing the misfire. Does everyone think they handled this repair the right way or should they have done more than just a plug? The car does seem to be driving better/quieter but why would the engine be fouling a plug already at only 35K miles? Isn't that indicative of an issue with the motor?

Old 12-30-2013, 12:34 AM
I need to do this to my Fit soon. It's been nearly stalling when cold and it sounds like the valve clearances may be to blame.

Question: Is it clockwise as you face the drivers-side wheel, or clockwise as you face the passenger-side wheel, or does it matter? I would think, other than potentially loosening the crankshaft bolt (that's torqued on pretty tight), it wouldn't matter the direction. I'm really only used to changing timing belts on the Toyotas where the direction of rotating the crankshaft matters in terms of torquing/loosening the crankshaft bolt.

Are the valve clearances a common problem with VVT (or VTEC or whatever it is) engines or is it a Honda-specific problem? I own a 98 Camry V6 (pre-VVT), 05 Avalon V6 (VVT-i) and 09 Camry I4 (VVT-i), all with 100K+ miles, and have never had a valve clearance issue. Meanwhile, this Fit is at 77K at seems to be desperately due for a valve clearance adjustment.

Thanks!

Old 12-30-2013, 12:40 AM
5 Year Member
^^You are going to be turning the engine from the right front wheel side. You will turn in a clockwise direction.

The valve clearances on Honda Fits are not a "problem," as far as I know. They just require adjustment. Before OEMs starting trying to sell people on cars that "require no maintenance," every car got tuned up every 30k miles. Pretty normal.

Hope that makes sense.

Quick Reply: DIY: Adjusting the Valve Lash (clearance)