Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

New 2010 Milano Red owner here, questions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 09:22 AM
5 Year Member
New 2010 Milano Red owner here, questions...

I have some experience withe detailing over the last 15 years, almost solely on BMW products, I have used the Klasse twins (AIO and SG) on most of my M3's followed up with a couple layers of Blitz one grand in opposing directions for depth. I have always hand applied everything.

I had no idea when I bought the Milano Red last Friday night that it might be a single stage paint, how do I confirm this? Is it a positive that its a single stage on the 2010? It sure doesn't look like it and last Saturday I removed some of the cheesy door and wheel well trim applied by the dealer and used Goof Off with a microfiber to take the 3M body tape residue off and I had no color transfer to the microfiber, i would have expected a little on a single stage paint.

Would my normal regimen of the Klasse twins and Blitz be good for this single stage paint, I have to buy new product anyway so I'm open to suggestions. Guys on the BMW board I frequent suggested Klasse, all recommend using a polymer sealer.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:30 AM
5 Year Member
OK, one of the guys on the BMW detailing board mentioned this, this sound kosher?

... According to the Fit's paint code, it's a tricoat paint with tint in the outer clearcoat. Treat it like clearcoat and you should be fine. BTW, the Collinite Sapphire cleaner isn't recommended for clearcoats so I'd stick with your Klasse twins.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:28 PM
If you are used to the Klasse twins and like the look there is no reason to stop using them. The people that don't like Klasse usually either object to the way they look or the ease of application relative to newer products: Mezerna Power Lock, Blackfire Wet Diamond, Optimum Opti-Seal, Werkstat Acrylic Jett: Trigger, etc. I have zero experience with One Grand Blitz but again if you like it why change unless you have the itch to try something new?
The Werskstat line like Klasse connects back to the European Carlack products so that would be the closest to what you are used to but with newer and arguably better chemistry.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:07 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks, I know Jeff at Werkstat from a couple years ago when we were pitching a sponsorship for our BMW race team, seemed like a cool company so I may give their stuff a try. As I discovered this weekend my Klasse stuff is gone so I need new product anyway.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:24 PM
Yeah the current paint on the Fits are all clear coated, so your good to go. I've been a Klasse user since 05' and will continue to use it as its my screen name but I must tell you, try a coat of Zaino Clear Seal a time or two over the Klasse SG and you'll be completely blown away and this is coming from a hardcore Klasse user I have 4 coats on top of a coat of SG and the revolution orange looks like its plugged into an outlet, I can't get over it! This new Zaino CS is made to be applied over any product, even competitors, so I said what the hell and like I said, the car looks wett! It doesn't look like your applying it but rest assured, you are. One or two sprays for the hood and one on every other panel except the roof.

Klasse/Zaino FTW