Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

God made the Claybar

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 03:52 PM
God made the Claybar

So ive had the Fit for a month now and ive had ups and downs. Up was getting the damn thing...down was once I got it home I noticed large scratches in the hood. Told my dealer about and I finally got it fixed this week. So I get it home in the sun and yes they got the scratches out but left lots of swirl marks where they were working. So I decided to try to fix this myself after I got my tint done today. So I got get my tint done and it looks great and im happy driving home and out of nowhere a road gator (tire from semi retread) comes up and hits my front end. Im like F#^^!!! I get home and left all kind of shit on my front end then I look up in see swirl marks from the work yesterday....

I calmly work into my house and grab my claybar since the retread looked like it left mostly surface marks. The claybar got most of all of that off which im very happy about. While I was out I was like what the hell let me claybar this spot and try and get the swirl marks out. Sure enough it did. So in the end claybar saved the day and ive concluded god made it...sorry for the long post...

Old 07-03-2006, 12:38 PM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
wow.. what does it taste like?

Old 07-03-2006, 11:36 PM
lol, i just got back from canadian tire with mother's claybar...

can't wait to try it out

Old 07-04-2006, 12:58 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kev01
lol, i just got back from canadian tire with mother's claybar...

can't wait to try it out
DUDE WHOEVER BUYS A CLAYBAR IS FRICKIN AWESOME! yea its dat awsome. i use to clay my 87 celica, which is sold buy now. It had faded paint and watermakrs and the paint felt shitty. So what i did is my cousin told me to buy a claybar and i clayed my celica for 3 hours with waxxing right after and the car felt sexy as heck. I <3 claybar!

P.S. dont drop it !!!! you dont wanna have unnecessary objects tht would scratch your beauiful paint :P

Old 07-16-2006, 03:43 AM
Thumbs up

Hooray for claybar! says the beautiful man.

Old 07-25-2006, 03:46 AM
God made Porter Cable 7336 and said never worry about paint blemishes again! Honda paint is soft by nature and is easily correctible, which also means is easily blemished..swirls included.. Danger good seeing you from scionlife, I'm dmxsoulja3 over there as well just traded in the xB for a Fit. Yall let me know if you have any detailing questions, lets just say I have OCD when it comes to paint care

Old 07-25-2006, 07:54 AM
Originally Posted by dmxsoulja3
God made Porter Cable 7336 and said never worry about paint blemishes again! Honda paint is soft by nature and is easily correctible, which also means is easily blemished..swirls included.. Danger good seeing you from scionlife, I'm dmxsoulja3 over there as well just traded in the xB for a Fit. Yall let me know if you have any detailing questions, lets just say I have OCD when it comes to paint care
Welcome Over! Yea there are a few of past Scion'ers coming over to the Fitside.

Old 08-03-2006, 01:48 PM
Yes, Mother's claybar is awesome, and if there are any more difficult scratches, I use 3m rubbing compound, that REALLY cleans up the scratches, but if you use too much you'll start taking some clearcoat off which isn't good news.

Old 08-03-2006, 01:53 PM
Claybars are awesome. It can be time consuming, but the feel and look of your paint will thank you for months to come.

Old 08-04-2006, 06:55 PM
what is claybar?

i have read some post says that this product is very effective to remove the scratch on your car, however i have never heard of this product before in south africa..how does this work?will i be able to get it in south africa? how effective is this comparing to rubbing compound and Maguire car wax??

Old 08-06-2006, 12:00 AM
Old 08-06-2006, 12:33 AM
5 Year Member
OO OO I KNOW I KNOW! claybar = clay that removes dirt, guck and grim off of the paint of your car. Its safe on paints and clears. It prepares the car for wax thus having a smoother surface for better wax and shine.

Old 08-06-2006, 10:41 AM
Avid FitFreak Poster
Thanks for the link...

Old 08-06-2006, 11:25 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the link. Is Blackfire an improvement over claybars?

Old 08-11-2006, 02:57 AM
Never wax your car without claybarring it first.

Old 08-12-2006, 12:04 PM
Exclamation

Originally Posted by gianspi
Never wax your car without claybarring it first.
That's like never pooping without wiping first...a little extreme...

Old 08-12-2006, 12:26 PM
If you all have never used a clay bar on your automobiles before, you need to start! I was highly into detailing for several years without really understanding the use of a clay bar till a few years ago! I originally used the Mother's Clay Bar kit on my Sentra and it came out so freaking good!

When you wash your car, you should run your fingers across the painted surfaces of all your body panels, like the hood, doors, roof, trunk. If it doesn't feel smooth, then the paint's surface needs clayed. A clay bar will not remove scratches! You will need a paint cleaner or Scratch-X from Meguiar's or similiar product to remove the scratches that are actually below the surface.

Once you finish claying the car, you apply a nice coat or two of wax. Your paint will look and FEEL smooth to the touch! I never thought my Sentra could look and feel better than I thought was the standard for so many years. Meguiar's offers a clay bar kit that my wife used on her car and it's ridiculous. I would say that a brand new Fit doesn't need clayed yet. A good initial cleaner wax, polish and final wax should be good for a long while.

Old 08-12-2006, 12:29 PM
June 2007 1st Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
Claybars are the best...i used to detail cars and those were the number thing to use b4 waxing...you can wash your car then wax, but wash then clay it, then wax it the results are awesome...with the clay bar i use a spray wax then go over the area with the bar...trust me if you are hard core with detailing your car this is a good way to protect your paint from dirt that gets in the paint...better do it on your day off

Old 08-12-2006, 01:02 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
for scratches, use eagle 1. great stuff. unless you have a buddy who can buff the whole car

Old 08-12-2006, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by Mr SEntra
I would say that a brand new Fit doesn't need clayed yet.
I'll have to disagree. A new car can pick up a lot of enviromental and machine contaminents on its way to its destination. Salt from boats, rail dust from trains, and even brake dust and pollen from sitting at the dealer. I would recommend washing, claybarring, and waxing upon delivery of your new Fit.

Quick Reply: God made the Claybar