Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

God made the Claybar

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 01:11 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by gianspi
I'll have to disagree. A new car can pick up a lot of enviromental and machine contaminents on its way to its destination. Salt from boats, rail dust from trains, and even brake dust and pollen from sitting at the dealer. I would recommend washing, claybarring, and waxing upon delivery of your new Fit.
I'm going to have to agree with you! The only reason why I mentioned the fact that a brand new Fit doesn't need one is because of my own experience with my Fit. I've exhaustfully ran my hands around the panels of the body and found virtually no problems with the surface. However, if there is contaminents, I would have DEFINITELY clayed the car upon delivery.

Old 08-15-2006, 11:08 AM
5 Year Member
WHere can I get a mothers claybar and about how much do they cost? Might get one for my parents Pilot too. We have hard water here and it leaves spots.

Old 08-15-2006, 11:24 AM
any auto parts store in your area should have a version of it. Also just type in claybar in google and you will find many stores online carrying them.

Old 02-11-2007, 06:03 PM
clay bar lubricant residue

guys, im not exactly pro with using the clay bar system, i know its not rocket science but the reason i say im not good with it is because i always leave the lubricant residue on the car, if i keep using the bar until there is no lube the bar sticks to the car but if i leave it wet it dries and leaves a type of residue

what i've done up to now is just take a microfibre towel to pick up the extra lube when im satisfied with the area im claying but im not sure this is the proper technique, any sudgustions ?

Old 02-11-2007, 06:24 PM
5 Year Member
when you clay you need to clay with something slick like your car wash solution. i suggest using a clean cup of it though so you dont contaminate the clay. also mean the clay every few minutes so the dirty part isn't there. after a few uses, you will discard it. Obviously you bought a bar of it so you should only use a lil peice at a time.

Old 02-11-2007, 06:54 PM
When I claybar, here are the steps I follow:

1) Wash the car with Dawn (a couple capfuls in a big washbucket). This stuff takes any wax or grease off of the paint. Don't use it often - it's too harsh. It will ruin the finish over time. But for the once/twice yearly that I use the claybar, it's fine.
2) Claybar with plenty of lubricant. I use water & some car wash. Never run the clay over the paint if it's dry. Keep everything plenty wet.
3) Wash again with Dawn. This will remove any residue and leave the finish completely clean, ready for wax or polish.

The single most important step part of waxing/polishing is surface preparation. Doing this right will make any product you use 10x better.

JonasM

Old 02-11-2007, 08:58 PM
i use the detailing solution provided with the bar, its just when you spray it on you cant keep claying until the solution is completely dry cuz the clay will start sticking to the car, so you're stuck with this thin film of solution left on the car, up until now ive just wiped it off with a terry cloth towel

Old 08-13-2007, 02:13 AM
Hi all. Being a car novice, I haven't heard of claybar until reading fitfreak forums. I have been convinced to use it after doing some reading on it.

However, I am having trouble finding a place that sells claybars by themselves, not packaged with other products. I looked in Walmart, Kragen, and Autozone with no luck. Any other places where I should look? Also how much does a bar typically cost and how many uses should I expect from a bar?

Old 08-13-2007, 04:12 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Blaw
Hi all. Being a car novice, I haven't heard of claybar until reading fitfreak forums. I have been convinced to use it after doing some reading on it.

However, I am having trouble finding a place that sells claybars by themselves, not packaged with other products. I looked in Walmart, Kragen, and Autozone with no luck. Any other places where I should look? Also how much does a bar typically cost and how many uses should I expect from a bar?
Look on amazon.com- lots of brands/sizes.

Old 11-17-2007, 09:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mr SEntra
I would say that a brand new Fit doesn't need clayed yet. A good initial cleaner wax, polish and final wax should be good for a long while.
unfortunately, my fit really really benefited from the clay bar. and that was within 2 days of bringing it home from the dealership. when i first saw the car, it still had the thin protective plastic on the hood and roof. despite a good 30% of the surface having essentially no particulate, the remaining 70% had a suprisingly huge amount.

considering that the fit is a small car, and that i had to throw my clay bar away afterward, and only 70% of the surface was collecting crap from its trip to the US, i'd highly recommend that folks put a clay bar to their fit.

and you know what happens if you don't clay bar your fit:

Old 11-17-2007, 03:31 PM
5 Year Member
a bit off topic...

hey my message is to TheDAnger, since apparently i cant PM you...but i was wondering if you had any other pictures of your wheels? i was looking at those exact ones, and i also have a base. please PM or reply back!

Old 11-29-2007, 08:33 AM
Looking to correct some misinformation in this thread. Not trying to start any arguments or anything, but detailing has been a hobby on the side for me for a while now, and I'd like to share a few things.

Claybar does not remove paint defects. Swirls, scratches, holograms caused by improper buffing, none of that will be removed by simply claybaring your paint after you wash and dry it. Claybar is simply a step in the process to preparing your paint for corrections, which you will use other products for. Claybar is a clear coat safe abrasive that simply removes contaminents from the surface of the paint without removing any of the paint or clear coat. This is stuff you can't see with the naked eye, specks of dirt, ground-in dust, grime... stuff a normal wash and dry session won't get rid of. But to re-iterate, it's not going to remove defects.

After you claybar, the next step should be a good paint cleaner/polish. Applied with a machine (you can do it by hand but the results aren't nearly as good, or easy for that matter), this is what you use to make your corrections. Different products are used for different applications, depending on your paint, how good/bad shape it's in, etc. This will leave the surface completely smooth, swirl free, and ready for wax. A lot of people skip this step, because it's time consuming, because they don't have a machine, or for whatever reason, and that's fine.. but if you truly want to make your paint looks it's best, you'll do it.

Then comes the wax. This is what protects your paint from the elements, gives the paint the glossy wet look, and truly shows the results of all your hard work. I'm sure everyone here knows about waxing so there's no point in me going into further detail.

And one thing, DO NOT wash your car with Dawn (or any brand) dish soap. I'm sure a few of you do it/have done it without much problems, but it HARMS your car. It strips the wax right off the paint, has the potential to ruin the finish completely, and WILL dry out your plastic trim around the windows, cowl, etc etc. It's designed to remove grease and grime from plates you use in the kitchen, and it's way too strong of a product to be using on something that can be easily damaged - your paint. I'd rather see you guys using cheap-o WalMart special car wash than dish soap. IMO Meguiars Gold Class Car Wash/Shampoo is the best stuff out there, and it's fairly cheap and readily available.

Threads like these are great though, every Mustang/car forum I post on seems to have one and I enjoy reading everyone's various tips and tricks. Just figured I would share mine.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:12 AM
Banned
Ramond87-
Thanks for a very well-stated explanation. This brings a lot of the "magic" attributed to clay bars back down to reality and facts.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:46 AM
5 Year Member
I assume claybaring is a good idea if you live in a large city, especially if it's an industrial hub (more than enough air pollutants and waste and God only knows what else out of those factories). Comments?
Originally Posted by kennef

and you know what happens if you don't clay bar your fit:
Domo-kuns hunt down and devour kittens?

Last edited by cojaro; 11-29-2007 at 11:48 AM.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cojaro
I assume claybaring is a good idea if you live in a large city, especially if it's an industrial hub (more than enough air pollutants and waste and God only knows what else out of those factories). Comments?

Domo-kuns hunt down and devour kittens?
it happens. seriously - kittens.

Old 12-01-2007, 02:24 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kennef
it happens. seriously - kittens.
*hums Stephen Lynch - Kill a Kitten through his head*

Old 12-23-2007, 08:43 PM
5 Year Member
God really made claybar..

First time using this stuff. Didn't know what all the fuss was about until now.

I've never felt my car feel so smooth!!! After I was done claying, it feels like I was running my hands over butter