Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Cleaning the engine, the easy way?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 04:17 AM
Question Cleaning the engine, the easy way?

Is there an easier way to clean the engine and engine bay area?

I don't think I'd be comfortable spraying a hose under the hood.
http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-engine.html

-Ed

Old 06-29-2006, 04:45 AM
5 Year Member
I have done this many many times without any problems. The only time I had a problem was when I paid a detail company to steam clean an engine and afterward it wouldn't start. They dried off the inside of the distributor cap and somehow completely mixed up the plug wires and started it up with its exciting new random firing order. Ugh. Needless to say I never went back and they went out of business.
So, from my experience, using a hose and degreaser works fine and I never had a problem. Remember, your engine is designed to get very wet from splashing and big puddles. No worries.

Old 06-29-2006, 11:45 AM
Retired Moderator
We do this all the time at our dealership. No one wants to take delivery of a dirty engine. Easiest way to do this is to get some engine cleaner or degreaser and pour some into a spray bottle. For best results, do not dilute the degreaser as much as you normally would. After you've sprayed off all of the dirty parts of the engine (don't forget underneath the hood), use a pressure washer to quickly rinse it off. Go over the engine quickly side to side, try not to concentrate the spray in one spot for too long. Multiple passes should remove all of the degreaser and your engine will be spotless!

Oh and if there is anything under the hood you don't want to get wet, i.e. air filter if you have SRI or ballasts for HID's, just take a rag and cover it before spraying the degreaser and washing it with the pressure washer. If you don't have a pressure washer, head over to your local wand wash.

Old 08-02-2006, 12:53 AM
Best degreaser/engine bay cleaner?

On my last vehicle I grabbed something out of the garage, might have been simple green, and sprayed the engine bay down with it then rinsed it and it lefdt all kinds of spots behind. So before I go and bugger up the Fit's bay I'd like to get some advice on what cleaner is best.

While were at it what is a good cleaner/ protectant for the vast array of plastic in the interior. I'd rather not use something that is shiny or leaves that nasty oily residue.
Thanks.

Old 08-02-2006, 07:50 PM
Avid FitFreak Poster
Simple Green or Green ALL

Old 08-02-2006, 08:21 PM
5 Year Member
Simple green...just make sure you mix it with some water.

Old 08-02-2006, 09:25 PM
I'm almost thinking that is what left the etch marks all over. Maybe when I did it the engine was too warm or something. It was also not diluted.

Doing a little net surfing I have come across a product called 303 protectant for interior that looks promissing. Not shiny and has a UV 40 blocker.

Old 08-19-2006, 06:30 AM
Originally Posted by Illusive
We do this all the time at our dealership. No one wants to take delivery of a dirty engine. Easiest way to do this is to get some engine cleaner or degreaser and pour some into a spray bottle. For best results, do not dilute the degreaser as much as you normally would. After you've sprayed off all of the dirty parts of the engine (don't forget underneath the hood), use a pressure washer to quickly rinse it off. Go over the engine quickly side to side, try not to concentrate the spray in one spot for too long. Multiple passes should remove all of the degreaser and your engine will be spotless!

Oh and if there is anything under the hood you don't want to get wet, i.e. air filter if you have SRI or ballasts for HID's, just take a rag and cover it before spraying the degreaser and washing it with the pressure washer. If you don't have a pressure washer, head over to your local wand wash.
.....Plus..... keep The Fuse box and battery dry.

Old 08-19-2006, 07:16 AM
I just use a simple rag and my Shining Monkey detailer about once a week, and my engine bay has been lokking brand news since the day i bought it back in April.

Old 08-19-2006, 07:13 PM
Question

Originally Posted by Tomh
I just use a simple rag and my Shining Monkey detailer about once a week, and my engine bay has been lokking brand news since the day i bought it back in April.
Have you had any of this get on non-metals in the engine compartment and has it caused any harm ?

Thanks !

Old 08-19-2006, 11:43 PM
I just go to the do-it-yourself car wash, select the 'engine cleaner' setting and spray that stuff on. I let it sit while I do the rest of the car, and then come back later on and rinse it off with plain water.

Considering that the engine compartment gets wet when you are driving in puddles, I do not see any reason why you would have a problem cleaning it with a spray of water. Even the battery and fuse box is OK as the are pretty weather-proof...

Old 10-06-2006, 07:06 PM
go to www.griotsgarage.com and search for their Engine cleaner. It is matte finish, top notch quality, and they stand behind their products.

Old 10-07-2006, 03:03 PM
5 Year Member
why not use honda-brite, more commonly known as S-100?

Old 11-18-2006, 04:03 PM
5 Year Member
Hey joe, check out autogeek.net for all the info you need. Tons of the best products and excellent service and prices are nice also.

Old 11-24-2006, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the info, very useful, I know my dad does it, and i still laugh when I see him do it. I just never felt comfortable doing it, but hey like the other guys said your engine is designed to get some water on it so why not.

I like to clean all the rubber parts with some of the armor all wipes. Makes it nice and shiny

Old 12-03-2006, 07:50 PM
5 Year Member
Put a bag over the alternator and air cleaner(if a short ram).You know,just to be safe.And make sure you spray the fenders and bumper and everything outside the car after and wash.In the fight between degreaser and paint,degreaser wins.I've made that mistake beforeJust do it before you wash the car.

Old 12-17-2006, 01:30 AM
What he said

Old 12-18-2006, 07:29 AM
I cover up the alternator and air cleaner as mentioned above, then use Greased Lightning. Great stuff works great. Leaves the engine looking brand new. Never had any issues with my last 3 cars. '88 Jeep Cherokee (200K miles), '94 Civic (150K miles), '97 Chevy S-10 pickup(150K miles).

Old 12-29-2006, 02:11 AM
June 2007 1st Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
yeah i do the same thing...i used to detail cars so i know about washing motors, but for my baby i like to give her the gentle touch rag and spray down and take my time...kinda like what i do with my females

Old 04-03-2007, 11:43 AM
DO NOT EVER.....EVER, STEAM CLEAN YOUR ENGINE......very bad for it. Steam can get into places that regular water can't. Also never clean a HOT engine, slightly warm engine is ok.

Quick Reply: Cleaning the engine, the easy way?