Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Rain x on winsheild or mirror. What do you think

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 08:33 PM
I've been using Rain-X on my front windshield for years and it's great. I rarely use the wipers in the rain unless I'm going under 40 mph. Sometimes I get streaks but I just buff it a little more and they're gone. Try it again; you'll love the results.

Old 08-21-2006, 08:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitInFla
I hope applying it to the whole car works out for you 'cause the label says not to "use on or allow product to contact painted surfaces..."
it works fine wit for the car because so far i have not seen any damages to the car.... yeah i noticed the it said not to apply it to the car, but the paint on my car is getting old so, it does not really matter.... i'll be getting a new paint later on this year so it no problem here.

thanks for your concern though.

I do not apply this stuff on my brand new FIT because I bought Zylon (I think thats whats its, paint protection) so I don't want to srew that up!

Old 08-22-2006, 11:18 AM
Rain-x

Never had much luck with that product: have a question though...
The right windshield squirter seems to be a bit low on the windshield. It only seems to hit about 4 inches from the bottom and it doesn't seem to be adjustable.

Old 08-22-2006, 04:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by docjim2
Never had much luck with that product: have a question though...
The right windshield squirter seems to be a bit low on the windshield. It only seems to hit about 4 inches from the bottom and it doesn't seem to be adjustable.

the squirter might be plugged up... try cleaning the holes in the squiter with a small needle or make sure you have enough washer fluide in the winshield water bottle

one more thing, check the small hoses that connects to the squiter, under the hood for leaks... just a thought

Old 08-22-2006, 07:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by LB3DR
exactly what repair is needed? small cracks...? cleaning it before fixing won't help?

Its made for the winshield, so I don't see a problem with it.
I will try to be more clear. I visit a window repair shop to get a rock chip fixed. The technician told me that if I used rain x on the glass he could not gaurantee the best job. He stated that rain x makes repairs difficult so, he did not recomend using rain x just for that reason. It has something to do with the chemical prep before filling the rock chip. It is a chemical thing... sorry if I was not clear on the statement. When posting this I had hoped to get more info on the subject.

Old 08-23-2006, 03:37 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by big Fit
I will try to be more clear. I visit a window repair shop to get a rock chip fixed. The technician told me that if I used rain x on the glass he could not gaurantee the best job. He stated that rain x makes repairs difficult so, he did not recomend using rain x just for that reason. It has something to do with the chemical prep before filling the rock chip. It is a chemical thing... sorry if I was not clear on the statement. When posting this I had hoped to get more info on the subject.

WOW....! I guess I should stop using it.... because replacing crack oem winshields with new oem winshields is very pricy too!

Old 09-19-2006, 07:19 PM
5 Year Member
When I went to pick my new Fit up I took a bottle of Rain-X and when I arrived they were just bringing my car out. They man started wiping the car down as soon as he got out of it. I walked over and handed him the bottle and told him to hit the windshield. He did.

About 10 miles down the road it started raining. So much for that wash. But the windshield was clean...

I only use it on the windshield, none of the other windows or mirrors.

Old 09-19-2006, 07:34 PM
5 Year Member
YEAH! the stuff works GREAT, but like the others said, it will make repairs harder from crackes......or so....

Old 09-19-2006, 08:03 PM
5 Year Member
With full coverage insurance they can replace it then. Just have to clean it good with some alcohol or something in the corner before taking mine in for it's first service since they still have to etch the numbers into the new windshield (which they forgot, or just neglected to do).

Had my windshield replaced already. 4 days after taking delivery it developed a stress crack. Everyone said "I'll bet you're pi$$ed off" to which I said "Why, now I get a new windshield, this one has bug guts on it".

Old 10-22-2006, 09:18 PM
I love rain-x been using it since it came out..I love the stuff.. you need a few thngs. clean window.. (that is given) shade.. don't do it if you have a hot window. and elbow grease. do it in small sections and you should be fine with it.. if it's streaking you haven't rubbed enough.

Old 10-28-2006, 09:00 AM
Just a quick note...

I used to run a car detailing business right after high school. Rain-X tends to dry out the rubber on your wipers. After a couple of months you're forced to replace your wiper blades. I think it also depends on the type of blade you're using. I don't use Rain-X anymore because of this.

Old 10-29-2006, 07:47 PM
never experienced that. Interesting.
Side note.. I wonder for the interior windows if doing what you can do in a bathroom to prevent steaming up the mirror would work inside the car?

Old 10-29-2006, 07:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Talon
never experienced that. Interesting.
Side note.. I wonder for the interior windows if doing what you can do in a bathroom to prevent steaming up the mirror would work inside the car?
Just turn on the a/c for a few minutes... it should clean up whatever fogged up windows there are on the inside.

Old 10-30-2006, 01:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kkim
Just turn on the a/c for a few minutes... it should clean up whatever fogged up windows there are on the inside.
LOL Maybe that works where you live but here in Cold Country we used to have little plastic frost shields on our windows. Like for the driver's window a 12x8" view!

I've used a rain gaurd on inside windows and a bonus is they allow the glass to slide easier in winter.

I have a 12v 6" fan blowing air back from the passenger side onto the rear windows to clear them for a few minutes after startup.

Old 07-14-2007, 08:07 AM
cc1
Soft-Scrub cleaner removes Rain-x

Originally Posted by big Fit
I applied Rain-x and had a huge problem with buffing off haze. I called Rain-x tech support and we determined that the windshield wasn't properly clean to start with.

A day earlier I did the 5 Star Shine polish thing, and part of that process left a residue on exterior glass. It looked clean to me. I rinsed and buffed down all the glass... but apparently there was a 5 Star film leftover on glass.

Anyway that residue made Rain-x really difficult to work with.

Tech support suggested using Soft Scrub cleaner to remove the Rain-x that I had just applied. He said this will remove all the product and also prep my glass so I could re-apply Rain-x.

He said the most important thing for Rain-x is to apply it to squeaky clean glass.

After I scrubbed off the Rain-x with Soft Scrub, I reapplied it, and it worked much easier. The haze buffed off properly etc.