Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 12:57 AM
Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner

I would say most of the time, I use Top Tier gasoline, though I will on occasion go to any gas station that is convenient at the time. After doing some thinking, I figure, after passing 41k miles on the odometer, it wouldn't hurt to run some fuel system cleaner through the Fit.

I stopped by my nearest AutoZone yesterday, and I saw one of the big advertisement on one of their windows saying Buy 1 Get 1 Free Techron Fuel System Cleaner. It applied to the 12 oz bottles, which says it treats up to 12 gallons. I grab 2 bottles of the stuff and go to pay for it. Even the cashier told me the deal was a steal. My total with tax: $8.65!

I go next door to put gas in the car since my fuel light was already on, and I dumped the entire bottle in the tank before fueling up. I hope this stuff works well.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:26 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by henryd1981
I would say most of the time, I use Top Tier gasoline, though I will on occasion go to any gas station that is convenient at the time. After doing some thinking, I figure, after passing 41k miles on the odometer, it wouldn't hurt to run some fuel system cleaner through the Fit.

I stopped by my nearest AutoZone yesterday, and I saw one of the big advertisement on one of their windows saying Buy 1 Get 1 Free Techron Fuel System Cleaner. It applied to the 12 oz bottles, which says it treats up to 12 gallons. I grab 2 bottles of the stuff and go to pay for it. Even the cashier told me the deal was a steal. My total with tax: $8.65!

I go next door to put gas in the car since my fuel light was already on, and I dumped the entire bottle in the tank before fueling up. I hope this stuff works well.
Since you have the FI cleaner in there, if you have paddles I would find a safe empty stretch of highway and lock the fit in 2nd or 3rd go WOT and then abruptly let off the gas a bit before redline and let the engine braking slow you down on its own.

This induces like -30inHg and should blow out any nasty crap that has built up in the engine when combined with a good solvent.

Excepting the black petroleum gunk that falls out of suspension in some batches... ethanol motors (E70+) usually wind up pretty clean.

Also water injection or water/meth injection cleans and provides a healthy bump in power and torque but that is for serious enthusiasts...

Old 03-16-2011, 03:03 PM
5 Year Member
I have been meaning to toss a bottle of cleaner in. I'm at 70K miles.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by henryd1981

If you're running Top Tier fuels you're already getting the benefit. Cashier was right.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
Since you have the FI cleaner in there, if you have paddles I would find a safe empty stretch of highway and lock the fit in 2nd or 3rd go WOT and then abruptly let off the gas a bit before redline and let the engine braking slow you down on its own.

This induces like -30inHg and should blow out any nasty crap that has built up in the engine when combined with a good solvent.

Excepting the black petroleum gunk that falls out of suspension in some batches... ethanol motors (E70+) usually wind up pretty clean.

Also water injection or water/meth injection cleans and provides a healthy bump in power and torque but that is for serious enthusiasts...
did this yesterday after getting my valves adjusted. thanks

Old 03-16-2011, 04:20 PM
Curious if you saw any brown exhaust trailing the Fit. That's a sign there was any build-up blowing out.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:27 PM
techron is great...so is sea foam

Old 03-16-2011, 07:48 PM
canuck I've seen you post seafoam a few times. You really must like it. I've never used it but am aware. What's your thoughts on it w/ the Fit, curious to hear if you used it on one.

Old 03-17-2011, 02:17 AM
BG44K every 15K on all my cars

Old 03-17-2011, 10:59 AM
Ive been using the techron fuel cleaner for years and think it's great. my element has over 150k and my fit is over 50k and both run like new. When i bought all my car wash stuff on tues i also took advantage of the bogo on the techron cleaner

Old 03-17-2011, 01:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
Curious if you saw any brown exhaust trailing the Fit. That's a sign there was any build-up blowing out.

I wasn't paying too much attention to the back... more looking out for cops in the middle of the day. WOT in 2nd isn't the smartest thing to do in my area

i did clean my exhaust (which had TONS of soot that im blaming on the valve problem) beforehand, but didn't see much of anything on the pipe after doing a few runs at WOT

Old 03-17-2011, 02:34 PM
5 Year Member
The way I have used fuel system cleaners for years is to add what ever stuff that is on sale like Marvel Mystery oil mixed with Berryman's B12 into an almost empty gas tank.. I then drive like DSM suggested to my house and lug the engine down in a higher gear as I shut off the ignition and let the car sit until I drive it again.. The solvent and oil mixture is able to stay on the carbon deposits and loosen the stuff up before I use the car again and blow the crap out the exhaust pipe on my way to get a full tank of fuel... I read a lot of post here on Sea Foam. When after sitting for almost a year without being driven and barely running at all I decided to put a can of it in our 95 GMC truck along with a tank of fresh fuel... All of the good things that people have claimed about the stuff is true, the stuff is amazing. I guess I feel enough on this beautiful spring day to get out in the barn and install my new water/methanol system since my wife has seen it already and has gotten over her rage at what I paid for it.

Old 03-17-2011, 04:38 PM
I love reading your posts TC cuz i think of the old avatar pic you use to have of some really old guy and I imagine that face saying the words your writing and it cracks me up cuz you have a real funny sense of humor and your really car smart too.

Long live Texas Coyote!!

Old 03-17-2011, 05:44 PM
5 Year Member
the onlything with sea foam is im sure someone will call 911 thinking my car is on fire... theres no real place to go to fart out a bunch of smoke stuff without being reported here..haha

Old 03-17-2011, 06:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenmei
the onlything with sea foam is im sure someone will call 911 thinking my car is on fire... theres no real place to go to fart out a bunch of smoke stuff without being reported here..haha
Sea Foam works very well if you just put it in the gas tank... The truck I mentioned in my last post was running terribly and within a mile and a half or less it was running fine.. It far exceeded my expectations doing it that way.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
Sea Foam works very well if you just put it in the gas tank... The truck I mentioned in my last post was running terribly and within a mile and a half or less it was running fine.. It far exceeded my expectations doing it that way.
how much smoke do you see when you put it in the tank?

i think i read that you need to do an oil change after seafoaming, is that true?

i kind of want to try it out... though, my car is running way smoother after the valve adjustment.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:03 PM
5 Year Member
If you have a high mileage engine that doesn't have a catch can or your engine is turbo or supercharged I think it wouldn't be a good idea drive a whole lot before changing the oil. It's a good idea to use the stuff just before doing an oil change with a small amount of fuel in the tank and a fill up before the oil change... You can add 1.5 ounces per quart of oil to clean out varnish, sludge and other buildup inside the engine but I would think it might be harmful to gaskets and seals if it was used for too long a period of time.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:15 PM
whats funny is now that someone mentioned that bg44k im now seeing an ad for it at the bottom of this thread lol

Old 03-17-2011, 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by kenmei
i kind of want to try it out... though, my car is running way smoother after the valve adjustment.
As with so much, if it ain't broke.... the free valve adjustment was the best part of the recall.

Here's an interesting thread: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-...ual-sport.html
Good photos

Old 03-18-2011, 02:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
As with so much, if it ain't broke.... the free valve adjustment was the best part of the recall.

Here's an interesting thread: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-...ual-sport.html
Good photos
i almost got mad cuz you said free valve adjustment...but then i realized you have a GE ..haha