Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

303 Aerospace Protectant

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 09:07 PM
5 Year Member
303 Aerospace Protectant

I was looking to treat the rubber seals around my doors and hatch. So I did some research as to what product was recommended.

303 Aerospace Protectant was highly recommended at many automotive websites and Automotive Supply websites. With numerous glowing reviews, and people swearing by it.

I literally could find no negative review about it. So not being readily available at a chain store, I ventured to the local boating supply store. $13.00 dollars later I had a bottle of 303 Aerospace Protectant.

The Bottle itself, and many of the reviews recommended it not only for rubber seals but for plastics, dash and trim. I eargerly looked forward to trying this product.

Underwhelmed. I don't know if my expectations were too high? But while not exactly failing or being outright "bad" IMO it was no better on The Fit Dash than Meguiars Interior Detailer. It behaved in application and result very much to me like simply a thin, low gloss Armor All.

I'll keep the bottle and use it as primarily a rubber treatment for the hatch and door seals...which I think it worked fine.

But honestly? I like the results from my Wal-Mart available Meguiars Interior Detailer better...at least for the dash...

Given that I couldn't locate a poor review of this product, I'm wondering if anyone has used it and been "underwhelmed"? Am I missing something? For the size of the bottle it's quite a bit more expensive than similar products. After using it I'm at a bit of a loss as to what all the buzz about the product is all about. Overall at best I'd give it a "C".

Last edited by fitchet; 02-26-2011 at 09:25 PM.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:42 PM
5 Year Member
You're probably underwhelmed because the product does not produce a rediculous amount of shine when applied rather, it gives a restored, deep color to plastic and rubber while protecting them from dry rotting because of UV damage or just simply from old age of rubber components and these are the reasons why it is highly recommended.

A lot of people prefer the restored appearance while protecting instead of an artificial look of being excessively shiny.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by onemiglandicho
You're probably underwhelmed because the product does not produce a rediculous amount of shine when applied rather, it gives a restored, deep color to plastic and rubber while protecting them from dry rotting because of UV damage or just simply from old age of rubber components and these are the reasons why it is highly recommended.

A lot of people prefer the restored appearance while protecting instead of an artificial look of being excessively shiny.
No..with all due respect that is NOT it...I've been using Meguiars Interior Detailer on my dash and it is low gloss...I like the clean, restored appearance as well. Not a fan of high gloss, artificial or greasy...

Which admittedly 303 is not as well...

I will keep it, and use it on the rubber. It does seem to do a good job on the seals. I'd recommend it for that. But as far as Dash? I think there are several products that do as well, at much less cost.

I take care of my dash...it wasn't dirty before I used it...so maybe my expectations were just out of balance. But I actually prefer the look of the dash after using Meguiars better....and both are low gloss....

Old 02-26-2011, 10:11 PM
5 Year Member
That is why I said "probably". Didn't mean to make it sound like that "IS".

We are on the same boat on this one. I prefer to use Megs ultimate quick detailer for use in my interior because of the same reason you posted and plus it has what I think a nice smell to it. I just use 303 for outside plastic trims.

I think Aero 303 is best used for those vehicles that have interiors that are rarely cleaned to provide them with the longest possible protection as this is the main attribute of 303.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:42 PM
5 Year Member
I belive our dashes are painted and not black plastic.
I say this becauz when I was preping the dash for a emblem and used paint prep a wax removed The color came off on the towel.
The housing around the GD3 dash gauges has a gold metalic in it if the sun is shining directly on it, it's easy to see.

Last edited by Perrenoud Fit; 02-27-2011 at 03:17 PM.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:45 PM
5 Year Member
I'm pretty sure our dash is black plastic.

Last edited by onemiglandicho; 02-26-2011 at 11:03 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:27 AM
ohw
5 Year Member
I use the 303 for my convertable top (not a Fit) w good result. No complains. i have not put 303 on the dash, can't comment.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:22 AM
Products approved for aircraft are often much more expensive than similar products that haven't been approved for aircraft because they have to be tested and tested and tested... if your car stops working you drift to the side of the road. If your plane stops working it becomes a very inefficient glider steered by a pilot in desperate search of a safe place to land.

(not sure if that particular product type needed testing but if it did, that'd explain the price...)

Old 02-27-2011, 10:34 AM
303 is great on the rubber seals and gaskets - does the job.

As far as interior treatments, not a fan. Out-gassing...
I've settled on a mild mix of soap and warm water and a microfiber cloth twice a year and dry mirco wipe downs as needed in between.

I have heard others praise 303 for interior detailing, however.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:58 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks for all the replies.

I don't mean to trash the product, I think (and hope, since I am using it) that it is an excellent rubber seals treatment.

My ultimate conclusion is I will continue to use it to treat hatch and door seals but go back to using Interior Detailer for the dash.

Old 03-01-2011, 02:52 PM
I've used 303 on a few cars and am a big fan of it on interior plastics. I like the clean, restored look, and the fact that even sitting in the California sun my "old" cars looked as good as new.

One question, though. I've only had one bottle of this stuff, and I must say that it has by far one of the worst smells I've ever experienced. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about, or did I just get a bad bottle?

Old 03-01-2011, 06:12 PM
finest

Originally Posted by fitchet

Underwhelmed. I don't know if my expectations were too high? But while not exactly failing or being outright "bad" IMO it was no better on The Fit Dash than Meguiars Interior Detailer. It behaved in application and result very much to me like simply a thin, low gloss Armor All.

I'll keep the bottle and use it as primarily a rubber treatment for the hatch and door seals...which I think it worked fine.
In general 303 is regarded as the best "for" your plastics, rubber AND plastic leather laminates like the fit sport's steering wheel. It's visual effect is more understated and won't outshine armorall. RV awning makers as well as boat Mfrs recommend it for it's protective and UV blocking properties. It will protect better than any other and a little goes a long way. I bought a gallon three years ago from autogeek and still have about a third of it. The ultimate treatment for Honda gaskets specifically is supposedly ShinEtsu grease sold as Honda part # 08798-9013.

Old 03-06-2011, 03:28 PM
5 Year Member
Belated Admission

Maybe I used too much. But I will admit, after a few days, It's like it dryed or settled in...and I can tell...

It looks pretty good, and seems durable...

To me, on The Fit Dash? It falls right in the middle. More shine than just detailer..but less shine than say Armor All or a full fledged over the counter protectant.

So perhaps I will change my review from "Underwhelmed" to "I didn't give it enough of a chance".

Old 03-06-2011, 07:18 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
303's purpose isn't to add shine. it's supposed to be wiped dry after you apply it.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:16 AM
Originally Posted by doctordoom
303's purpose isn't to add shine. it's supposed to be wiped dry after you apply it.
And there in lies it's true value.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:03 AM
Lightbulb

There's a new Mequiars on the market and its got a nice, natrual sheen to it, really like that alot. Think about it, you don't want the dash blinding you afterall

I've used 303 in the past and liked it but didn't notice it to be much better than the natrual Mequiars I've used but I will say this, Mequiars quick detailer for interiors is a nice thing to use inbetween to keep it nice and clean.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by doctordoom
Well I didn't apply so much that it "soaked" in or anything like that, I did wipe it dry. But maybe I overapplied too many coats?

Just seemed like in 24 hours or so, it changed how it looked on the dash.

And while I would call it "low gloss", I'd say it does add shine in comparison to what I was using, which was Meguiars Interior Detailer. I can tell, it's "shinier" than it was before.

You can definently tell 303 is on the dash. Where with the Interior Detailer, I'd say it left the dash clean...but almost with a totally untreated look.

UV protection aside, it's somewhat subjective as to what look you like. If you factor in that 303 is probably giving me a higher degree of UV protection? Then the I might have to think about changing my review and using the product. It may not be "designed" to add shine...but IMO it has added more shine than my dash had before.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:13 PM
I'm always interested in the fact that the 'shiny' look appeals to so many. So many of these spray on products do more to attract dust and fog up the inside of the windows [out-gassing] and produce this slippery when wet look and feel in some cases that it ends up counterproductive to use them.

Once you begin to experience the effects of out-gassing the war has been lost.

For me the biggest boon to interior 'detailing' is the micro fiber cloth, and even with them not all are equal.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:36 PM
I know I'm late to chime in, but I'm a fan of 303 not because of the way it looks, but because of it's UV protection. I like to use it as piece of mind so I at least think whatever it's on will last longer in the sun. Placebo effect? Maybe, but if it claims to have UV protection, why not?

Old 03-31-2011, 08:37 PM
When I used 303 on the dash of my old Volvo, the windshield would haze over with this greasy residue like I'd smoked a pack of cigarettes in it or something. I always thought that maybe it wasn't supposed to be used on the dash after all, but what I originally purchased it for was to provide a more natural, restored look to the coated leather seats. Every time it was detailed previously they always put shiny stuff on the leather and my butt slid all over the place.

On the 2010 Fit I used Plexus Plastic Polish. Very nice results (it too is made for aerospace application) and no shine. Helps repel dust afterward. You can use it on the instrument panel lenses and nav screens as well. It smells bizarre, like hyper-new-car, but it is by far the best product I've used that doesn't change the look of the plastic while restoring and protecting it.

I'll be using it on the 2011 as well then.

I get mine at West Marine.

By the by, if you have scratched plastic such as the speedometer, very conservative applications of 3M plastic restorer followed by Plexus worked very well for me.

Quick Reply: 303 Aerospace Protectant