Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Check engine light...after having 1 coil pack replaced

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 11:06 AM
Check engine light...after having 1 coil pack replaced

new poster here who owns a 2007 fit sport with 60k miles, all maintance has been done regularly. About 5k miles ago started noticing the dreaded sputtering (read the entire thread).

Let me start this story off by saying 2 days ago i ran out of gas on the highway, my wife brought me the 20:1 gas oil mix for the weed wacker, I put in about 1/2 of gallon of this mixture before figuring it out. We then filled the the rest of the tank with regular gas and she started up.

Before this incident the car was very sluggish with acceleration and the CEL is on while the car is not acclerating, however the moment the car accelerates the CEL starts blinking.

Took the car to the dealership, have the extended warranty to 80k miles, they said a coil pack had gone bad and a spark plug needed to be replaced. They said that the engine had oil in it and they wanted to drain it for 600$. I said no thanks and picked up the car.

The car drives much better then before with the new coil and spark plug but the CEL is still constantly on and blinks when you accelerate. Along with it still seems a bit sluggish when accelerating. Also around 50-60 mph the rpms jump to like 6k almost red lining.

I plan to buy some of the chevron fuel system cleaner but cannot believe that this is due to 1/2 gallon of 20:1 oil gas mixture. I was planning on filling up the gas tank with premium as I empty it and take it back to the dealership to have them check all the coil packs. Any thoughts?

thanks.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:35 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by markk123
They said that the engine had oil in it and they wanted to drain it for 600$.
You need to explain that a little better. ALL automotive internal combustion engines are SUPPOSED to have oil in them...

I'd say that IF you put a half-gallon of 2 cycle gas in the tank but didn't start it until you filled the tank, you wouldn't have any problem. Heck, folks have been putting Marvel Mystery Oil into gas tanks as a cleaning agent for many years...

Any comment on the remainders of your problem would be a WAG without a code for the new CEL.

If you are still running the tank of "bad gas" I would not bring it back to the dealer until you run two more tanks through it...maybe it will resolve itself. PS Premium Gas won't fix any problems.