Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

DIY: Foglamp Lens Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 10:32 PM
DIY: $10 Foglamp Lens Replacement

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself, nor FITFREAK.NET endorse, recommend, encourage nor take any responsibility for the outcome of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

This is for those who have found a rock through the fog lamp and didn't want to give up so many $$$ to Honda for another fog lamp with the same flimsy lens without trying something else first. The housing wouldn't be reused anyways so what is there to lose? The following method uses much thicker material than the stock lens and IMO will more likely deflect small rocks that would go through the Honda lens.

So this was my surprise last weekend:

Well crap. I just ordered a new set of tires and a new lamp wasn't exactly in the budget, and the insurance deductible is as much as the new lamp.

Thus, brainstorm and Home Depot meet:
-1x sheet 0.093" thickness 8"x10" Lexan (which is far thicker than the Honda lens), $5
-1x tube of Loctite plastic epoxy, $5

Tools:
-Dremel with level surface attachment, or a rotozip
-small flathead screwdriver or other tool for carefully applying epoxy
-file for smoothing cut of Lexan (optional)
-rough-grit sandpaper
-metal office clips used for holding paper stacks together
-rubber-protective squeeze clamps
-leather gloves
-infowars moneybomb 27-hr live broadcast on the radio (optional but recommended)

Ok, so get yourself in the right mindset. This may take a while.

STEP ONE: REMOVE OLD MATERIAL

The old lens will have to be removed. Use leather gloves and carefully pull it off. The hondabond is underneath it (the original glue), but it doesn't really need to be removed unless you want to go through the hassle. I didn't.

STEP TWO: Make the Cut

Trace the outline of the housing on the Lexan with a marker. Clamp it down with the rubber-lined clamps to an old board that will have cut marks in it. Set up the dremel as so, so the tip is well into the wood through the thickness of the Lexan:

Last edited by polaski; 10-18-2010 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:33 PM
Part II

Ok so you have your Lexan clamped (don't remove the Lexan's protective covering yet) and the dremel ready to go. Start the cut away from the marker outline (not in the middle of your new lens ) and start to move the dremel at medium speed. See which side gets the half-melted shrapnel and which side is smooth, and go around your outline in the direction that will leave the lens side smooth.

Once cut out, use the file to smooth it up a bit so you're not fighting bits and pieces of plastic while using the epoxy. The edge doesn't have to be perfect unless you really want it that way, but the since the outer edge is all but hidden, I just gave a rough finish and called it good.

Now that the housing is ready and the lens is cut, remove ONE side's protective sticker covering (this will expose what will be the inside side of the lens). Be careful to not get fingerprints on it. Take the sandpaper and carefully etch scratches about 1/4" all the way around to give the glue something to grab; if you have compressed air or an air can, blow the dust off. If not, use a microfiber cloth. This is a good time to make sure all lens fragments and other foreign contaminants are out of the housing/reflector.

Mix epoxy on some surface (I used the board that the dremel just torched). Using the small screwdriver, apply a very small amount of epoxy on the lip of the reflector that will touch the lens; then use the office clamps to hold the Lexan on. Then mixing more as necessary, have someone hold the fog light unit while filling the groove with epoxy. You will see why epoxy is needed and not sealant, as the housing has a very slight curve and sealant won't hold it. This IS permanent so don't drip epoxy into the reflector assembly!

Let it sit overnight.

Ok so now it's the next day, you stayed up all night watching the infowars moneybomb simulcast just to kill time waiting for your foglight to dry.

Alas, the time has finally come to remove the other protective sticker layer.

Holy cow, it's clear! It's strong! Better than original, I hope. It's certainly three times the thickness of the original lens on the outer portion (where my rock went through).

Install into car, align it (it's GONNA be wrong at first!), and enjoy your $10 foglamp repair! If done right, not only can no one tell the difference, but you will also have enough Lexan and epoxy to do the other side if the need ever arises.

Last edited by polaski; 10-14-2010 at 10:49 PM. Reason: finishing the DIY